TESVI: In the Swamps?

Adipose

My number two daughter tells me that the next version of TES is slated to be set in the Argonian swamps...or so the grapevine has it. My initial reaction to that possibility isn't positive. Personally, I'd much prefer that it be set in the arid lands of the Redguard or Khajiiti, or in the Bosmeri forests. Even amongst the High Elves would be preferable. I suppose its that I have a lot of trouble identifying with the lizard folk. Although, on the very few occasions that I've run an Argonian character, I've found that I become generally hostile to the Nords up in Windhelm, and rather wary of any other group that isn't Argonian. Makes for a bit different style of play. Just love ambushing those Stormcloak patrols and taking an active role in support of the Empire. Ah well, time will tell.

I didn't like the idea at first, but it would definitely be different & therefore interesting, I think Elswyr & Valenwood would also make for quite unique locations, but I am hoping for Hammerfell or High Rock, the Summerset Isles would make for an exquisite game - but can you imagine all that Altmer arrogance ... !

The Argonia rumour is an old one, with nothing really backing it. There's been a photoshopped box-art floating around since 2012, but it's been disputed by other 'leaks' (which include Hammerfell, Summerset and Akavir) and by past developer statements (we've been told not to expect any Beast Provinces for awhile, because of technically limitations and marketing problems).

ESO made me somewhat hesitant about Blackmarsh as well... Lore wise, like most things in ESO, it's great... But visually it's just a swamp. Unless they really mix things up and make it more exotic, I think it'll be too boring an environment to work with.

Anyway... The only real concrete evidence e have of anything TES related is Bethesda's renewal of the Redguard trademark. They already have a game called Redguard, but similar treatment wasn't given to other Adventures games, so it MAY indicate Hammerfell is in the future.

The Argonia stuff was a hoax.

Renewing Redguard's trademark - that ought to be obvious now that it's up on GoG. I'd wager if people looked, they'd find Arena, Daggerfall, and Battlespire also got renewals recently enough that they didn't need them again yet. It's not an indication of content to come in a future title. The next TES game is still a good 2-3 years away.

I wouldn't judge the content of a future Black Marsh title on the Shadowfen region from ESO. If you look at the comparison between ESO's Eastmarch region and the Eastmarch Hold from TES V, the difference in quality is staggering - in favor of TES V.

I wouldn't judge the content of a future Black Marsh title on the Shadowfen region from ESO. If you look at the comparison between ESO's Eastmarch region and the Eastmarch Hold from TES V, the difference in quality is staggering - in favor of TES V.

Yeah, that's the main reason why I hold out hope. The same can be said for Summerset and Valenwood in ESO. Fun though the game may be (it's not GREAT, but it's better than most MMOs I've played) the areas that should be the most exotic are quite lackluster. All part of the reason why I think I'd rather Elsweyr or Hammerfell over, say Valenwood or Blackmarsh.

RedThe next TES game is still a good 2-3 years away.

Based on their pattern, though, they already have an idea of where it's going to be. Since Daggerfall, Bethesda has started concept and storyboard work on the next game when the previous one launches, even running basically 2 games (in different stages of development) at once. By this point, they likely have the setting and story mostly laid out, and may even be starting on their inevitable Engine-Modifications, while most of the team gets the DLC underway for Fallout 4.

I'm more inclined to say 3-4 years though. Fallout 4 will probably have a 18-24 month DLC lifespan, and they won't want to release a competing title while they're still trying to market Fallout's content. I'd say 2018 at the earliest.

I personally hope we get to see Valenwood and explore through dense forest

It's kind of sad... But I have my own they image on what Valenwood should (or rather COULD) be, and I kinda hope we don't see it yet... Partially because I know it won't fit what I see, but also because I don't think the hardware on the consoles can do even Bethesda's rather boring image justice.

Whatever the location, Bethesda will have to set up an intro that makes it possible for a player to build a character for ANY race. That said, from a marketing POV, I can't see them taking the franchise to a location where most players would have difficulty building empathy with the locals. For example, if you took all of the player character builds in the TES series where Argonians were an option, I would hazard that less than 5% of those characters would have been Argonians. Even Khajit would have been more popular I think. Of course there, there have been a LOT of players who have, but across 20+ million consumers, even a small percentage is a LOT. Still, Bethesda really has to look at projected total sales, and that WILL be affected by the popularity of the game setting. In the case of Black Marsh, that would most likely be adversely.

Could be a possibility of some new consoles hitting the market at that time frame, could take advantage of the better hardware since consoles is the bottleneck of Bethesda's limitations. At lest they seemed to of improved their creation engine with fallout 4.

Just a rumor, if anything I think it is more likely to be hammerfell just look at all the references to it compared to other areas full quest involving alikir the redguards being the only one to repel the thalmor. Morrowind had references to cyrodiil Oblivion had you questing in skyrim like areas a lot, just look at the pattern here...