Less graphics mod for FNV?

Leafington

I dont know if i placed this in the right place but if i didnt please move it anyway as te title says i want a mod for FNV that makes the graphics worse there is so many that make it better but i want worse for more fps and not having to use those mods that glitch out the game (performance mods) but not to get off topic i really want this and if someone could even make it to the level of this

id be happy im a guy who doesnt care at all about graphics but cares about his games actually running good but ya... can anyone please do this? Im experincing lots of pain running this game at 10 fps

Edited by Leafington

This is an interesting request. Not a bad request, but interesting.

If what you need is better framerate and smoother play, then there are a number of things you can do with what exists right now. First and most importantly, you need to check the Tweak Guide for Fallout: New Vegas. The reason you start there is that the guide covers in-game controls and .ini settings, all without using mods at all. Each variable is explained in detail, to let you know what it does and how much impact it has on framerate and CPU usage. It's a long read, but if you're serious about this, you will probably enjoy learning these "behind the curtain" settings.

I know you don't want to have to use "those mods that glitch out the game [performance mods]," but the fact is those are the second place to go. I have used these myself, on multiple computers of different architecture and power, and I have never had an issue with any of them. I also made damned sure I followed the instructions carefully, and when I could, I found tutorials (usually by Gopher) to make sure I understood what I was doing.

The most important is 4GB Fallout: New Vegas Updated. This allows the game to recognize that you have more than 2GB of memory (if indeed you do...if you run Windows XP or newer, you probably do). Most of the time, when you have lag or stutter, it's because your computer is running out of memory to juggle everything happening in the game all at once. This alone will probably make the single greatest difference for your game.

Next, New Vegas Stutter Remover. I automatically install this alongside of 4GB. Does what it says on the box, by (if I understand/remember correctly) flushing memory every so often so there is always plenty of elbow room for more data.

There are other suggestions. Use Mod Organizer rather than NMM, because it doesn't hose up your Data folder. Set graphic settings in-game to Small texture sizes. Make sure you check and know (and adjust, where needed) the settings for your graphics card. If you really want what you say you want, you won't choke on the thought of doing these simple things, and being mindful about it will be well worth it.

Then again, if all you want is cel-shading or cartoony graphics...well, that's a horse of a different color. ;)

awhile ago there was a mod author that didn't necessarily change the graphics, but instead removed a lot of the extra stuff in the game. All of the static items... the misc containers that usually were empty or had a couple caps, etc. It dramatically increased lower-end computers' performances, but really did remove what made new vegas look like new vegas. I can't for the life of me remember what the mod was called, and I know it isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I will look for it as another option for players.

I noticed OP was banned already.. But others may want it to, so I'll keep looking.

There is this

awhile ago there was a mod author that didn't necessarily change the graphics, but instead removed a lot of the extra stuff in the game. All of the static items... the misc containers that usually were empty or had a couple caps, etc. It dramatically increased lower-end computers' performances, but really did remove what made new vegas look like new vegas. I can't for the life of me remember what the mod was called, and I know it isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I will look for it as another option for players.

I noticed OP was banned already.. But others may want it to, so I'll keep looking.

There is this http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45116/?

There was another one uploaded recently but the modder had just gone around deleting things, that would have made the game very unstable, when that fact was pointed out to him he started abusing people, he got banned and the mod got removed.

I could make this mod, resize all the textures one by one, but it just takes forever because there are so many.

You can try using New Vegas Config to do some more advance changes to graphic and performance option changes, to lower the graphics http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40442/

Also I could pm you, and tell you how to do it yourself, if you have photoshop, or another program than can open and save DDS files. I simply just don't have the time to make that sort of mod.

There may be some way to edit the game to make this happen without editing textures, by telling the game to have a very low LOD on textures maybe, but I have no idea how to do that.

Edited by ryanjp89

There was a mod released that did the texture resizing to half sized, for all things in game, without removing anything. It was removed either by Nexus or the Author, I was never clear on that, but it did contain FONV texture assets so it was probably a removal and ban.

It was called "Fallout NV Halfsized - The Total Package" and I still do have it, but it is not mine to release or distribute, for obvious reasons. I only ever tried it once on a friends lower end cpu, and it did change the look of the game along with the quality of the textures, but not to the point that it ruined your experience. What it did not do was make the game look "cartoony" as the video shows, but just like an extra level of LOW settings to use.

It has no mod author name or info attached, just a data \ textures folder with all of the games textures at half the size, ringing in at 613MB as a zip file and roughly 2.5 times size that when extracted. Maybe one day the author will upload it somewhere else so people can try it out again, but that would be up to them of course.