game says mod overwrites vanilla cell

flashyraccoon

Hey guys!

I really hope someone can help me with this; apparently people who download my mod get a message from TES5Edit that the mod overwrites the interior cells "Abandoned Prison" and "Bolli's House".

I dupliated those cells and in the duplicates, I built the interiors of my mod. I checked, the original cells are still there and seem to be intact.

Do I have to worry about that? Does that mean the mod causes bugs with the vanilla cells? How do I fix it?

I'm pretty sure the game thinks my copies of the cells are like a second version of those, and thus thinks I overwrote them, even though I just changed the duplicates I made...

I would appreciate your help!

- flashy

Edited by flashyraccoon

I notice in CK if you duplicate a cell it flags the original cell as changed.

Once that happens then you now have an instance of the original cell also in your esp (even though nothing was changed at all).

So in TES5Edit you would see the original cell.

You also see your duplicate cell.

If your mod isn't altering those original cells at all, then in TES5Edit load your mod and if the original cells are listed then remove those original cells from your mod.

(leaving your duplicate cells still intact).

Well that's what I did when I duplicated a cell and the original got flagged as changed.

Now days I don't duplicate vanilla cells, I create a new cell set it up the way I like and then if I need a cell i duplicate my own cell.

This way I'm not having to clean CK dirty edits for vanilla cells.

For the interior cells I don't see that much wrong..

You could remove the WarehouseBookshelves cell entry ( i gather that would have been flagged as changed when you copied a bookcase, accidental slight movement the original when you copied maybe?)

Also some Location references seem to have made it into your esp.

Location Editor ID:

RiftenBolliHouseLocation

AbandonedPrisonLocation

There some worldspace entries that can probably be cleaned as well, but I haven't actually checked to see if they are meant to be there or not.

But the items are a duplicate instance at the exact same position or just 1 unit movement to the original.

(As I said i haven't check if it was just an accidental click something and snap moved the original or if it was intentional).

I assume the worldspace navmesh edits are meant to be there (due to the different amount of triangles in some parts to the original).

I notice in CK if you duplicate a cell it flags the original cell as changed.

Once that happens then you now have an instance of the original cell also in your esp (even though nothing was changed at all).

So in TES5Edit you would see the original cell.

You also see your duplicate cell.

If your mod isn't altering those original cells at all, then in TES5Edit load your mod and if the original cells are listed then remove those original cells from your mod.

(leaving your duplicate cells still intact).

Well that's what I did when I duplicated a cell and the original got flagged as changed.

Now days I don't duplicate vanilla cells, I create a new cell set it up the way I like and then if I need a cell i duplicate my own cell.

This way I'm not having to clean CK dirty edits for vanilla cells.

So, when I load my mod in TES5Edit, where would I see the original cell, if it was listed? I can't find it in the right hand window - do I have to find in in the drop down menu on the left?

Sorry I've never had something like this happen and have no experience fixing it...

Same goes for those seperate entries, where would I find them to remove them?

When it comes to the location references - I assumed I had changed the cell properties correctly, in the drop down menu I selected none for each cell... so I don't know where that information made it into my mod... :/

Thanks a lot for your help!

EDIT:

Okay so I found the bookshelf reference in TES5Edit, now I don't want to mess anything up - do I just right-click on it in the menu on the left and then clock on remove?

Edited by flashyraccoon

Yes Right click and Remove, Click yes when/if the scary warning comes up.

Cell -> Block7 -> Sub-Block1 (Remove Sub-Block1)

Location (Remove Location, it contains 2 Location References for the original cells)

Then in Worldspace section look at each entry and check if those items were intentionally moved or accidental.

If it's accidental then remove the entries.

eg:

Worldspace -> 0000003C -> 00000D74 Cell -> Persistent ->

SkyrimCloudDistant06_50 [sTAT:00027408]

INV_SkyrimCloudShape02 [sTAT:0010C4A7]

Also look in the section and each sub section and see if those entries are meant to be changed or accidental.

Most those entries are probably legit changes you wanted to make, but doesn't hurt to check.
Worldspace -> 0000003C -> Block1, 1 ->

Some tree entries in one of the sub sections that have moved (as I said you may have wanted them moved).

Avoid removing anything with the name Navmesh.

When you close TES5Edit click the Backup checkbox (if it's not already checked) at the bottom of the save window.
It will create a backup of the original esp (just in case your changes don't go as expected, you can use the backup and try again).

After you have cleaned the entries when loading a game, be sure it's a save that has never had your mod run on it.

You don't want to test it on save that has old data from a prior version of your mod in it.

(Well not initially anyway).

After you have tested it on a clean save and all is well, then test it on a save that had your old version run on it.

This way you can tell if there is going to be issues running the cleaned version on an old save.

If so you can notify your users that the cleaned version needs to be run on a clean save.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Ok I think I got it now! Thank you so much for explaining this to me so clearly! :smile:

I'll go check it with an older safe right now

Well it seems it worked! Thank you!

- flashy

Edited by flashyraccoon