Craftable Sierra Madre vending machines

GOLDENTRIANGLES

So I have seen some mods around the nexus that adds Sierra Madre vending machines around various parts of the wasteland.

However, I propose a new idea where the player can build their own vending machines, and place them wherever they want them to be.

I have already went and downloaded blender and went through the process of learning how to make 3D models, and exported them to NIF format. You can see them in the pictures below.

I will provide these models to anyone who asks for them.

The end result isn't bad at all for a first timer, if I do say so myself.

Now what I would like help with is someone to make code that would allow the player to place down the first piece of the vending machine.

Then add the second piece to the first.

Then the third piece to the second.

Then finally the power from 1 Micro Fusion cell and 2 Fission batteries to the third piece would "activate" the Machine.

Which would remove what has been built by the player and in it's place create a working vending machine complete with the surrounding blue glow.

The parts can be created via a crafting recipe at an already active/working Sierra Madre vending machine.

Prior to the posses of powering up the device the player should be able to remove the pieces and add them back to their inventory.

If someone would be willing to code this part I would be very grateful and would, of course, include any and everyone's name in the Mod's front page.

imgur mirror to images http://imgur.com/a/o1sGb

Edited by GOLDENTRIANGLES

Just a FYI the Sierria Madre vending machines were pretty advanced pieces of tech using matter transmutation (physics be damned) and devleloped in the BigMT. It would probably be one of the less likely devices to be reproduced after the war and certainly orders of magnitude more complicated/advanced than any other type of vending machine. Some argue the LR commisary use similar tech, but I think they are just terminals for a subterranean warehouse.

But your mod, your vision.

Most of the time stuff like this (where you change a model) is actually done enabling and disabling references, but if I understand your post correctly you'd like the player to be able to build them anywhere? If so there may be a few ways to go about it.

You can use a object script attached to the first piece, with various functions. GetPOS can be used to get the objects (1st model) location in the gameworld after it's been dropped or placed, and once stored in a var it will be the coordinates you use with moveTo for the next model (each model having an additional visible piece added) after the player adds the next component. At the same time the previous model is disabled and shortly afterward zapped. I think to use moveTo your going to have to have an inaccisible cell full of these that you can move into the cell the player has chosen for his/her vending machine location.

You could also use placeAtMe on the calling ref (the first model), but it's going to add to save bloat. And if the courier goes crazy making these all over the wasteland you could see some pretty large saves (which are problematic for the game engine). It does however have the advantage of not having to worry about getting and setting positions since the next model wouldn't be offset (same location as previous model). You'd still need to disable and zap the previous model.

Another way might be to have all the models dropped the first time and have a playgroup set the alpha set to 0 visibility, or a niVisController do the same thing, but those are pretty advanced.

There may also be other solutions that are more practical or efficient in their approach (I'm not a scripting guy, so I may not be the most knowledgeable person to offer advice).

Other suggestions?

Lore: Oh yes I am well aware of the technology behind the vending machines.

I have planed that the parts are only be able to be constructed at an already functioning vending machine (like the one in the bunker) and will require a great deal of chips per piece.

In addition, they will only be able to crafted after finding the vending machine codes inside Big MT. (I can do this by making crafting recipes in the GECK)

What I would like this mod to become is using one vending machine to make the parts, and then the courier

(provided they have a high enough science/repair skill) can assemble the parts to make a new bending machine.

Similar how you can use one 3D printer to make most of the parts for another 3D printer.

I would like to avoid bloating save files so the empty room filled with various vending machine parts/steps would probably be the best route.

I don't see a reason why the player wouldn't need to create more than 25 of the things so a limit of 25 would be okay.

Unfortunately I am not a scripted/coder and was hoping that someone would be willing to collaborate with me on this project.

I'm currently attending college university, so classes suck up most of my time.

In addition, I have no idea what the blue light glowing effect that shines around the vending machine is.

(the best example of what I'm talking about is looking at a wall behind the vending machine, next to the fountain, in the villa.)

Using "player.placeatme xx00abec" doesn't create the surrounding blue glow just the active machine.

Unfortunately I am not a scripted/coder and was hoping that someone would be willing to collaborate with me on this project.

I'm currently attending college university, so classes suck up most of my time.

Yeah I hear you brother, but it might be worthwhile to "game it out" so there's a strategy....a method to the madness. Then even if I don't do it, someone else has a road map.

In addition, I have no idea what the blue light glowing effect that shines around the vending machine is.

(the best example of what I'm talking about is looking at a wall behind the vending machine, next to the fountain, in the villa.)

Using "player.placeatme xx00abec" doesn't create the surrounding blue glow just the active machine.

Yeah may not have anything to do with the vending machine model, and simply be a seperate light form they dropped next to/on top off. Although you probably would have already checked that, so I'm guessing something else. I'll try to find some time to peek at it soon(ish).

You should require the player to also find some of the schematics to build it at the Big MT facility, in addition to having high science/repair skills. ^^

I am. As I have stated above they will only be craftable once you find the vending machine codes which will be at Big MT.

I can do that part in the GECK myself. What I'm looking for help on is the scripting which will allow the player to build them at a location.

Looks like it's a separate lightform, NVDLC01TestBlueLightKey, so you'd want a few of those in your storage cell to use.

Yep your right. I just opened up the GECK and plopped a few of those in random spots.

Looks like it's the correct effect to me.

Thanks, this will be essential information to whoever helps me script this.

Also I'm thinking about cleaning up the textures a bit on the holo constructor/destructor and the man body box-like part and releasing the modes as a Modder's Resource with a link to this thread.

Seems like a better way to get help since more people view the nexus than the forums.

What do you think?

Edit: I have edited the textures on the top part of the lv 1 part.

One is a complete replacement and the other is just edited to be a bit brighter.

The last two are what it default looks like.

which one looks better?

Edited by GOLDENTRIANGLES

Also I'm thinking about cleaning up the textures a bit on the holo constructor/destructor and the man body box-like part and releasing the modes as a Modder's Resource with a link to this thread.

Seems like a better way to get help since more people view the nexus than the forums.

What do you think?

I tend to think the forums are a betters source (specifically the request forum), but that's only a guess. Can't hurt to give it a shot. If you can't find any help after a week or two update your thread and if I have some free time I'll try to help out.

What do you think?

I tend to think the forums are a betters source (specifically the request forum), but that's only a guess. Can't hurt to give it a shot. If you can't find any help after a week or two update your thread and if I have some free time I'll try to help out.

Okay.. I could realy use some help here. I can't get the physics to affect the props I want them to. I'm about ready to pull my hair out!

If I send you the blender files would you be willing to help?