Nexus Mod Manager Update Destroyed My Game

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

JeffMisener

JeffMisener

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

First of all I would like to say thank you for all the hard work you guys have put into this program all these years, it's made modding Skyrim truly an amazing experience. However, I recently ran into an unneccessary and easily preventable problem by using your program. My fault? Probably, but I want to see this program continiously improve and would never want anyone else to have to experience what I have. So...

Nexus Mod Manager prompted me to install the latest version. Of course I gladly did so, because I like to stay up-to-date with the latest version. I trust that with every new version, it becomes more and more optimized...

However...I got NO warning that by installing the new version of Nexus Mod Manager that it was going to FORCE me to have it either reinstall my mods, or uninstall. NEITHER OF WHICH I would EVER want to do...Why? Well, you should already know the answer since you definitely know how modding works, which I full heartidly believe you do...And that is this...sometimes even if mods aren't installed in the same order, it won't make a heavily modded game turn out the same, because of all of the fine-tuning done at the end of installing mods through Nexus.

Also, I edited 100+ textures in Photoshop from my installed mods that I didn't quite like how the mod author colored, those are now back to default and I have to edit every single one of them...again.

Conclusion: WARN YOUR USERS. Please? Now I have two hours of work ahead of  me to get my game back to the way it perfectly was before this terrible mess.

"Warning: Updating Nexus Mod Manager will require your mods to be reinstalled. Continue?"

I'm just trying to help based on my own experience. Thank you for all the amazing work you do.

JeffMisener

JeffMisener

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

And don't bother telling me that I didn't "read a warning", because there was no warning BEFORE UPDATING. Once you update, you're screwed. I tried installing 5 older versions of NMM because I didn't want to choose between "Reinstall" or "Uninstall". I just wanted NMM to open as usual. Which after you have installed the newest version, it simply will not, no matter what version you install afterwards.

My only option once it was installed was to never used Nexus Mod Manager again, or go through the pain in the ass procedure I currently am.

As I said, when that window pops up "Would you like to install the latest version of NMM?"
ADD A WARNING MESSAGE, one that requires the user to literally click Yes or No. The only Yes I clicked was to happily install a newer version as I normally would.

KunoMochi

KunoMochi

Unashamed food junky

• Premium Member
  • 2,031 posts

From Dark0ne's announcement post:

Q. Why didn't you warn us that this update required major changes to the way NMM works/uninstalls and attempts to reinstall my mods? Why wasn't it in big red font?

I've address why the warning wasn't in the update mechanism from within NMM already. That's our bad for not making the information more readily available before presenting you with the chance to update, mixed with your bad for not checking up on what the update actually included before installing it.

There were two warnings during the process on top of the announcement news post which is on the front page of any Nexus site that uses NMM.

The first, in big red and bold font, was during the installation process. Here's a picture of it.

The second was in the initial prompt you need to interact with before version 0.60 will work. This prompt informs you that NMM needs to uninstall all your mods and then asks you a question.

If you click YES, NMM attempts to reinstall all your mods how they were before the update.

If you click NO, NMM will uninstall all your mods and leave you to reinstall your mods how you see fit.

If you click Cancel then none of the above will happen, but you won't be able to use version 0.60, allowing you to gracefully roll-back to your original NMM version through the normal method (installing the last version over the top of the usual NMM location). If you do this, nothing will have been changed and you'll be completely back to normal on the old build of NMM.

The text explains exactly what NMM is going to do. We further clarified in version 0.60.3 that if you select cancel you'll need to reinstall your previous version of NMM.

I got both of those messages warning me of the risks of installing the newer version, then again warning me explicitly about the uninstalling and reinstalling process when I started it up. These messages were there since version 0.60.3 was released (and possibly even during alpha testing).

Did you somehow missed those when you were updating from 0.56.1?

Edited by KunoMochi, 22 September 2015 - 01:34 AM.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,081 posts

If you have issues with the new NMM version please post in the proper section to receive support: http://forums.nexusm...ager-open-beta/

Nastorrian

Nastorrian

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

No thanks. I'm done with this manager. I'm not redoing all that s*** over and over and over.

nitras7

nitras7

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thx nexus mod, you reinstall all my 627 mods and now I cannot play my games. Why? Because they have not compatibility witout manual editing mods files! What they fuckign sake... I don't remember all change to this and now all my 5 gb save are just piece of s***. Next time ask before you will touch any file in my Skyrim folder! And sorry but nwo I don't remember witch mods from my 20k database of mods I have installed!

Give warning before I download new version and don't force me do update it every fuckign time!

Minron

Minron

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yeah, after the mess this update turned my Skyrim into, I'm never updating again; everytime the manager prompts me to upgrade, I physically cringe. I adore the program, but hell, everything is just a mess: mods say they're installed but don't have any effect in game, the mod menu in-game is busted, random crashing, some mods straight up dissapeared, my plug-in list and mods list are complete disjointed, and all my settings are reset with my saves probably being utterly ruined since I can't for the life of me figure out which mods went missing; all I know is LOOT says I'm down by at least ten mods. This is going to take hours to fix and after last time when an update completely removed all mods from my mods list which required me to uninstall Skyrim and reinstall it, as well as reinstalling all of my mods and redoing all of my settings.

Edited by Minron, 23 September 2015 - 02:48 PM.

Belfaborac

Belfaborac

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 146 posts

I certainly did get the messages, which I heeded by aborting the install.  I'm sure the new manager is great, but personally I think that if there's any way at all that you can keep V56 supported indefinitely, then that's what you should do.  Personally I'm certainly going to keep using V56 until - may it never come to pass - I absolutely can't do so anymore.

I'll check out the new version once Fallout 4 arrives, but there's just no way in this world or any other that I'm re-installing all my mods for FO3, FNV, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim just for the sake of profiles and virtual whats-its.  Not to mention re-doing all the adjustments to hundreds of mods, most of which I've long since forgotten what entailed.  If I took six months leave from work I suppose I could have gotten around it all, except I'd have to stop eating long before it was all done.

I really don't mean to grumble here; the program is free and I know people are working hard on making it great, but to introduce such a radical change on an ecosystem this old and well established was never going to go down well with a lot of people.  By all means make it a requirement to use the new system for all upcoming games, but please, PLEASE, PLEASE keep V56 useable at least until I die (I'd say at least 30 years, barring unforseen events or a steady increase in drinking)!  After that I guess it'll bother me somewhat less.

Heavyoak

Heavyoak

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

I certainly did get the messages, which I heeded by aborting the install.  I'm sure the new manager is great, but personally I think that if there's any way at all that you can keep V56 supported indefinitely, then that's what you should do.  Personally I'm certainly going to keep using V56 until - may it never come to pass - I absolutely can't do so anymore.

I'll check out the new version once Fallout 4 arrives, but there's just no way in this world or any other that I'm re-installing all my mods for FO3, FNV, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim just for the sake of profiles and virtual whats-its.  Not to mention re-doing all the adjustments to hundreds of mods, most of which I've long since forgotten what entailed.  If I took six months leave from work I suppose I could have gotten around it all, except I'd have to stop eating long before it was all done.

I really don't mean to grumble here; the program is free and I know people are working hard on making it great, but to introduce such a radical change on an ecosystem this old and well established was never going to go down well with a lot of people.  By all means make it a requirement to use the new system for all upcoming games, but please, PLEASE, PLEASE keep V56 useable at least until I die (I'd say at least 30 years, barring unforseen events or a steady increase in drinking)!  After that I guess it'll bother me somewhat less.

I wish I had your foresight. i'm right now trying to find out how to revert so I can fix skyrim. 

yttermayn

yttermayn

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I failed to realize the implications of having to reinstall all my mods. In my case, NMM crashed halfway through the migration process, so I have no hope of ever untangling what was done to my game.  I am currently reinstalling skyrim and rejiggering all my custom tweeks.

I think what would have helped most would have been to make migration optional. I want to keep NMM up to date so I can enjoy it when Fallout 4 mods come, and that motivated me to gamble my Skyrim setup. I really wish I hadn't.

Page loaded in: 0.680 seconds