Creation Kit with Windows 10: Crashing

Vudou

Is anyone else having an issue while using the Creation Kit with Windows 10 and it crashing after 15 minutes?

I finally went ahead and updated to Windows 10 (from 8.1) a few weeks ago. I just started using the Creation Kit again today for the first time on Windows 10 (through MO) and the CK, no matter what I do, crashes after 15 minutes. Whatever I'm doing, I have to do all that I can, as fast as I can, before it crashes and I have to load it up again. It's kind of annoying constantly having to reload the CK and start modding again for only another 15 minutes.

I've tried researching this issue, but most answers I've found are basic stuff I already did and/or know. Answers such as updating drivers (duh), running it as Admin, running it in Win 7/8 compatibility (that doesn't help), etc.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm going to attempt to disable all other mods and only load the one I'm editing (my house) and see if that helps any.

If anyone came across this situation with Windows 10 and was able to fix it and/or at least get CK to not crash for at least 30 mins or more, please do let me know what you did.

In the mean time... I guess I'll be uping my CK skills in speed. XD.

Thanks in advance!

ADDED: If you're wondering how the CK ran when I used it on Windows 8.1, it ran great! It rarely crashed on me. I could use it for hours or all day without any crashes.

Edited by Baibaihe

Just an update to what I've tried, but non helped the problem nor let the CK last any longer.

• Updated drivers
  • Ran as Admin
  • Ran in compatibility mode for Win 7/8
  • Disabled all other mods and only had the mod needed for editing
  • Ran the CK directly through Steam, rather than MO
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the CK
  • Turned off UltraMon (might as well try anything at this point)

Non of the above helped nor made and difference.

Edited by Baibaihe

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this problem, just booting up the CK after having "upgraded" to Windows 10 only 2 or 3 days ago. Keeps giving me the good old "...has encountered a problem and needs to close." message, that I'm sure we're all familiar with.

I know the CK can crash from time to time, so the first time was no surprise... then it crashed again. And again. And again... Only after a few minutes every time, and all I've been doing tonight is moving static objects around. Nothing strenuous for the program, so it was pretty obvious something was wrong.

"Troubleshoot Problems" only tells me that it is apparently an "incompatible program", which made sense in the case of Paint Tool Sai refusing to open at all (until "Troubleshoot Problems" magically fixed that), but the CK does seem to run fine for around a good 15 minutes or so. If the word "Incompatible" applies to any program, it would appear to be Windows 10. (Just don't tell it I said that or it might not boot up in the morning... my only day off too.)

If a solution cannot be found, I'm inclined to head back to Windows 7, but I'm a patient man. I'll wait, and try to muddle through. All I can say is it's lucky I'm not working on a big project or anything. This frequent crashing would be a nightmare.

• 3 months later...

I am having the exact same problem. Still in the process of googling for an answer. Has anyone found anything that helps?

I'm no coder or debugger so I can't get much farther then this, but it seems like this may be a fixable issue.....

creationkit%20error.PNG?psid=1

creationkit%202.PNG?psid=1

Finally...finally found a fix: https://youtu.be/NLoqI9SV4dA
Open SkyrimEditor.ini and add bEnableAudio=0 to the [Audio] section (if it has bEnableAudio=1 already, set it to 0).
I hope this works for anyone else having this problem stumbling around google to find a fix for it.

Edited by mysticentity

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem. Still in the process of googling for an answer. Has anyone found anything that helps?

I'm no coder or debugger so I can't get much farther then this, but it seems like this may be a fixable issue.....

Open SkyrimEditor.ini and add bEnableAudio=0 to the [Audio] section (if it has bEnableAudio=1 already, set it to 0).

I hope this works for anyone else having this problem stumbling around google to find a fix for it.

Thank you so much for posting a solution mysticentity this was making me tear my hair out and now I haven't had a crash in days. You're awesome!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mysticentity for posting this fix. It worked like a charm!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This worked for me! Thanks friend!

And epic signature phrase, heh.

Edited by CrossCaius

This worked for me, as well. Unfortunately, now the CK seems to crash every time I close it, but it does save and unload the mod first, so that's good. ; P