Adding a world map and go beyond level 30 ?

LaetusdeLaputa

Hello there !

I have two questions I'd like to ask.

The first one is about a module I'm currently playing. It's large sort of open world, so it's kinda easy to get lost without the spared map I've gt my hands on.

Since there is a "world map" option in the player menu ingame that is left blank, wouldn't it be possible to add this map directly in the game ? How do you think I could do that, please ?

My second question is about the level cap of the game. I recently learned how to raise this cap for a campaign using the toolset. Unfortunatelly, I'm still unable to raise that cap over the level 30. Is it really impossible, even with the toolset ? Isn't there, at least, a mod that'd allow to do so ? Since you can create characters with up to four classes, I would really like to bring them up to level 40 !

Thanks in advance for your attention !

My second question is about the level cap of the game. I recently learned how to raise this cap for a campaign using the toolset. Unfortunatelly, I'm still unable to raise that cap over the level 30.

I don't know if the level 30 cap is hard coded, but many of the 2da files go up to as high as level 60. The exptable.2da list ends at level 40.

Edited by rjshae

As for adding a world map, here's a tutorial for making one. It sounds like you just want it to be visible and not actually have places to click on, so if that's the case, you wouldn't need to follow all of the directions, but in any case it's here.

http://www.nwn2toolset.dayjo.org/ToolsetTuts/plugin/worldmap.html

There are other tutorials out there, but I think all of them are as old as this one, made before widescreen monitors were the norm, so they all tell you to make the map at a certain size which will appear stretched out when you play it on a widescreen monitor. Since I haven't used this map system yet, I haven't experimented to see what ratio would properly resize itself to appear normal, but you can try a few for yourself.

If it's like all other graphics in the game, it will automatically resize any image to fit its parameters. And it will also use a JPEG file, if you rename it to a DDS or TGA. TGAs are much bigger than JPEGs, so I prefer to use renamed JPEGs for my display graphics in my modding.

What would that imply if the level 30 cap was coded ? Would there be a file, somewhere, that could be edited ?

As for the map, I already used the tutorial you gave me, Tchos, but as you guessed, what I want is only to display the map in the game, not to use triggers, transitions, scripts and so on... and that tutorial didn't help me doing so...

Is there an option to add a world map to be displayed ingame within the toolset, when creating or editing a module ?

I would have thought that if you just don't add any area transitions, nor map pins/locations to the map, then it should function solely as a map display, with an empty destination list, and a cancel button. No?

You could always give yourself a map item that fires a conversation that displays the map. A conversation (in the cinematic style, not the NWN1-style or SoZ dialogue box style) can display an image full-screen on any conversation node, if you just enter the file name of the image where it says "TGA to display". As mentioned above, it can be a JPEG whose extension is simply renamed to .tga if you don't want to include a large file. You can also disable the cutscene bars so it doesn't cover up the top and bottom of the map.