Outfit Textures Lumpy After Using Bodyslide

volatica

So, I am trying to edit a few things on the Triss Armor Retexture mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4708/?

Basically, when I make any edits to the converted *.nif you after batch converting the armor, the armor texture becomes lumpy and odd. The MESH is fine, but the texture is not. I haven't had an issue with any other outfit mod that I've tweaked due to clipping, etc, except for this one. I am using Bodyslide as included with the latest CBBE mod. Am I doing something wrong? Are some meshes just so precisely made that editing with the tool will cause problems? I googled a bit and found no good answers.

Might help if you post some screen shots of the issue? By default Bodyslide/Outfot Studio don't do anything to the meshes themselves that would cause issues with textures. The only thing it does is remove any "extraneous" file paths e.g. "X:\blah blah\blah blah before the textures\ folder.

My guess would be either a) the .nif file is referencing the wrong normal map (xxx_n.dds) b) the normal map is the right one in the right location, but it's saved in an incorrect format (DXT1 instead of DXT5 or some such) or c) you've somehow managed to turn "has normals" off (or on) in the .nif file, which can sometimes cause strange "lumpiness" on the mesh (a long shot possibility)

Thanks for the reply! Here are some screens of what I mean:

http://jaredstander.com/images/before_bodyslide.jpg

And after bodyslide editing:

http://jaredstander.com/images/after_bodyslide.jpg

The actual mesh seems fine, but the texture is all gnarly.

It looks like something got messed up with you textures. Check to make sure they are saved in the right format, Normal Maps ( xxx_n.dds) should be saved as DXT5, Interpolated Alpha and Generate Mips = Yes.

Or as I mentioned, it could be that something got messed up with the NiTriShapeData. Check to see if "Has Normals" is yes/no and check to see if "Has Vertex Colours" is yes/no and reverse them if necessary (Generally Has Normals should be "yes" and Has Vertex Colours should be "no".

Perraine: Thank you again for all of your great help, after narrowing down what was causing this (the normalmaps) I was able to fix it... But I never would have been able to do so without your help! You are a credit to the community!

To anyone else who find this thread and has a similar problem, here's how I fixed it: In BodySlide, when you open Outfit Studio, there is an option called "Auto Normals" which is enabled by default. I think this was generating new normal meps that messed the texture up. So, if your textures are odd or lumpy after editing a shape in BodySlide Outfit Studio, BEFORE you load the *.nif to edit, go to Edit > Auto Normals, and make sure this is OFF! Worked like a charm for me, as I think this prevented the normalmap that comes with the mesh textures by default from being overwritten with the junky one that messed up the texture.

• 1 year later...

Hello! I'm writing here hoping someone can help me. I can't see the 2 pictures posted by volatica but I'll try to explain my problem cause i think is similar. I'm trying to convert an outfit to use it with a different body, in particular i'd like to use the aradia lace dress outfit with the uunp HDT skinny body.

I tried many times and different ways using bodyslide and outfit studio but i still can't solve an issue: in outfit studio if i delete the bodyshape contained in the femalebody_1.nif file, the 4 related outfits, which should be in 4 different colours, appears all in the same colour ingame.

Where is the error? Is it related to other files such the femalebodygo.nif (still now i can't figure what it is)

Sorry for bad english, pls help :)