Mod Limit?

Ras2424

Is there a number of mods limit in Witcher 3? I recently installed some mods and my game would get stuck in infinite loading screen. I thought it was the mod I just installed but i just tested switching some mods in and out and its not a specific mod, its when I get past the 47 number of mods mark. At 48, I just get infinite loading screen when trying to load my save. I never mad a mod.settings file, could this be the issue?

I am not aware of a mod limit, nor have I had this issue personally. I currently have around 70 mods installed (give or take, since some of have multiple files), and it loads fine (I also don't have a mod.settings file). Or at least did, I haven't actually launched the game with the new 1.10 update. Still in the process of migrating all updates, changes, etc. lol.

Did you try swapping in and out all of your mods? Like move all 48 (or how many you have) of them to a folder, and add them back in 5 at a time. Until you either find the reason why, or indeed hit a cap that wasn't there previously. Also are you using Script Merger? Maybe you have a weird conflict that isn't allowing it to start. Or even possibly you have an outdated mod that alters the main menu screen?

Hopefully you can figure it out man, good luck.

I am using script merger, no conflicts according to that. I have tried moving different mods in and out and its whenever I hit the 48 mark, I can't load my save. It's really strange.

Only mod Im using related to the main menu screen is one that removes the intro when the game starts up.

Edited by fnexus

Are you using the newest version of Script Merger? Since maybe you have an .xml conflict that could be causing havoc. Also have you checked to see if all the mods you're using have updated to be 1.10 compatible? Hell it might even be your Witcher 3 being the problem, could be worth a shot verifying/repairing it to see if any problems get fixed.

I don't believe I saw "Skip Movies" update yet, so that could actually be the problem mod. Have you tried launching the game without it installed?

Hopefully one of these solve your problem man. Let me know how it goes.

Firstly, thanks for your help.

Yes, I am using the latest script merger (v5.1). It's solved all the conflicts (including 2 xml conflicts) so its showing none right now.

Yes, I checked all my mods are 1.10 compatible. I installed them 1 by 1 after I updated to 1.10 (verifying files after the update as well), and they all work. Some texture replacer mods were not updated to 1.10 but they don't need to be as I understand. They still all work for me.

The skip movies mod is a new one, not the old one I'm sure you're thinking about. It's this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/358/?

I'll try disabling it though and see if it helps.

Oh, I asked this question in another place and one person did tell me there was a soft limit of around 50. Not sure if he's right but if say you have 70 mods, it must be something else. Or perhaps it depends on the type of mods you install.

Edited by fnexus

No problem man, wish I could actually help though.

Man I really don't know what else to suggest honestly. This is odd, and perhaps the type of mod does matter, but I believe the majority of mine are script based mods. Which I would imagine should be the problem area. If it's a "soft" cap of 50, I'm wondering what that means, such as does the game slowdown at that point? Since it's not a hard cap, which would mean the game literally can't support any more. Which would be closer to what you're experiencing I would expect.

Actually no I was talking about that one lol, just didn't see it update (or forgot) somehow. Good to know that it updated though :laugh:

Once I get my s#*! fully setup, I'll be letting you know if it launches for me as well. In the meantime keep me posted should you find the reason why it isn't working. I'm curious.

Sorry again that I can't actually help.

• 7 months later...

There is a actually a TEXTURE limit, someone made a tutorial for merging textures and making it into one file in the CDPR forums. You could look into that if you ever experience an endless loading screen. Also, I can't find the tutorial I mentioned, if someone finds it please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I tested the limit, but it isn't or ISN'T more ONLY a TEXTURE LIMIT:

The Minimum of the probleme that i found;

Limit of blob0.bundle, buffers.bundle and the texture.cache

Tex Buff Blob All

7 7 27 41 OK

7 7 28 42 OK

7 7 29 43 Infinity Load

8 8 26 42 OK

8 8 27 43 Infinity Load

8 6 28 42 OK

8 6 29 43 Infinit Load

One might think 42 (xD 42, this was my first mind) is the limit, but...

Tex Buff Blob All

11 11 24 46 OK

13 11 27 51 Infinity Load

Perhaps there is a script-compiling maximum or a simple mod-limit.

Info: Windows 10 64bit, Steam, patch 1.22, allDLC (HOS+BaW...)

What experience do you have? (To Everyone)

@Patex24 did you obtain those numbers simply by counting the number of mods that are merged into blob0.bundle (for example) by script merger? Or would that not always be accurate?

It's usually pretty easy to tell just from looking at a mod whether or not is has a texture within it, but the others can be a little more tricky to flat out guess without going through every folder

@ddavies10693 Maybe i don't understand, because i'm idiot in english :tongue:

I count the bundle's and co with the search-function

in the normal Windows-Explorer under .... \The Witcher 3\Mods\....

I'm going through every folder at the start and i see that the mods consist of scripts, blob0, buffer and/or texture.

So I think that have to do with it and that seems to me to vote.

I hope, i have answer about all questions?

Have please bear with me. (a few Google Translator) ^^

Edited by Patex24