Crash on start when Creation Kit loads files

Imrazon

Hello,
I want to make my first steps with the CK, but have problems to start.

When loading only Skyrim.esm CK starts fine, showing the normal warnings as displayed on creationkit.com/Category:Tutorials

When I also checkmark update.esm I got a number of other warnings concerning strings like:

MASTERFILE: LOCALIZATION: Lookup failed for ID: 0x00012584 from strings file: STRINGS/Skyrim_ENGLISH.DLSTRINGS

My thought is, that it is because my game has a different language as default, so I dismissed them.

When the files get loaded up to 99% I got another warning:

Assert
File: ..\TES Shared\misc\BGSLocalizedString.cpp
Line: 2871
LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading strings file.

When ignoring this warning Ck crashes.

I use with the game a custom installation outside the programms(x86) direktory:

C:\Skyrim\steamapps\common\Skyrim (OS: Windows 7 prof)

So I installed CK in the same directory

Having all DLCs I want CK to handle them.

According to this tutorial: Creation Kit Tutorial (Installation Process) - YouTube I edit the SkyrimEditor.ini:

Below General

bAllowMultipleMasterFiles=1
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

Below Archive

SResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Update.bsa, dawnguard.bsa, Hearthfires.bsa, Dragonborn.bsa

I use Skyrim with Mod Organizer. So I tried also to run CK with MO having the same result.

Can someone tell me what I´ve done wrong and how I could get CK running the DLCs?

Now I spent nearly the whole day reading tutorials, comments and watching videos in order to find something, that could help me.

I recognized that my problem is not new and I wonder why it is so hard to find a fix for that.

At least I found by chance a hint to solve my problem.

The funny thing is: I found it on a site which was not specialized to creation kit or modding, not even games.

So for all who encounter the same problem with the same error warnings, here is the fix that helped me:
It has to do, that CK is in english and my game not.

I had to add one more line to the SkyrimEditor.ini (additional to the lines I had already done)

Just below "General"
sLanguage=XXXX XXXX stands for the languge you use with skyrim (German, French....)

I hope that will help others too.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...