Animating glow map and adding light

doctorhr2

I'm trying to make a pulsing light in Nifskope. I have the light as a separate model with its glow map and it glows in game. I would like to get the light to pulse on and off. I've googled but no one seems to have made a tutorial about this. I've looked at the torch and Dawnbreaker but I can't figure out what is doing what...

Can anyone kindly get me started?

Edited by doctorhr2

I don't know how exactly it works in Skyrim but I know in MW you needed the mesh to allow for an animated texture. There used to be a tutorial for how to do that but I suppose it folded shortly after the modders responsible for it retired. Without it I can only offer some guesses that might lead in the correct direction.

In MW you needed an animated texture, not a flat glow map tga or dds but a gif, and the mesh needed to have it's properties altered to accept such as a texture in the location that one wanted it applied. Oh and the sequence needed to be relatively short and the animated gif file size kept as low as possible because MW couldn't handle much along those lines (technically no one had really expected it to handle anything like it at all) maybe you'll get a more to work with in Skyrim but I'd still aim to keep the gif as small as possible.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by Oubliette

If my memorh doesnt fail me theres an animated textures tutorial on the nexus (modder resource and tutorials category).

Anyway my ice blade of the monarch has a pulsing animation for the glowing daedric runes, use it if you wish.

It's a great tutorial, but sadly I can't get the animation working in Nifskope. I have no idea why and I've been Googling to find an answer.

Does anyone know how to or has anyone created a pulsing light effect on an object in Skyrim?

In the Creation Kit you can find under Movable Static the unused "fxworkingexamplelitemitanim.nif".

For testing I copied the BSLighterShadingProperty of that nif (which includes a BSLightingShaderPropertyFloatController) to a test nif with glow shader and adjusted texture source and emissive color (as the emissive multiple is the target of the controller) and got a pulsing of the glowing texture.

Have a look at it.

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5e0dck0w5qr5d3/Glow%20Pulse.mp4?dl=0

Edited by Tamira

In the Creation Kit you can find under Movable Static the unused "fxworkingexamplelitemitanim.nif".

For testing I copied the BSLighterShadingProperty of that nif (which includes a BSLightingShaderPropertyFloatController) to a test nif with glow shader and adjusted texture source and emissive color (as the emissive multiple is the target of the controller) and got a pulsing of the glowing texture.

Have a look at it.

As soon as I get home I'll check it out. Thank you so much. :D

The pulsing effect you have on the cauldron is exactly what I'm trying to do... only it's not working for me. I copied the BSLightingShaderProperty onto the node I want to pulse but nothing happened.

One thing I'm trying to troubleshoot: When you loaded workingexamplelitemitanim.nif into Nifskope, could you see the animation working straight off? I can't and I'm wondering if I need to reinstall Nifskope.