Witcher 3 MODkit Update Released

SirSalami

Comparing Skyrim's mod support to Witcher 3's mod support is like comparing the actual games in reverse.

Modkit's a joke. I was excited for the update, but the only thing it fixes is the ability to import normal and specular maps without using a hex editor (which is HUGE - trust me), but to properly import textures, an explanation of their STUPID CRAZY texture system is mandatory. They haven't given this to us.

The reason people are upset about a lack of efficient modding tools (or even tools that work - the Modkit literally does NOT work on my PC - luckily I'm part of a modding team, so I can do my part and hand files off for packing, but not everyone is a people person like I am) is that we were promised a better modding tool than Witcher 2 had. And if you took the time to learn Witcher 2's modding tool (Redkit), it blew Skyrim's Creation Kit out of the water. The bad part was that it was hard to figure out and not user-friendly. CDPR promised us this. And we all believed them, because CDPR was an indie publisher that made it somewhat big, and cared about its fans.

Then they made a ton of money on Witcher 3. And we get thrown this chewed up, dog spit covered bone called Modkit. It feels like it was to shut us up, too. (There was a huge, vocal demand for modding tools on the CDPR forums.) They now have all the "mainstream" fans to listen to too, now, yes (who demand unnecessary things like NG+ - don't get me started on that absolutely useless mode. For a game like Dark Souls it makes sense. For TW3? NO SENSE AT ALL. It's just all your items and bigger numbers. That's IT. You've been had, gamers.), but mostly what this means is that they have a TON of money now. They have the money to hire a team of dedicated modkit programmers. They have the money to send the work to an outside studio or team or whatever. They have more money than they ever planned on having back when Witcher 1 came around and they just wanted to make a game to continue on the story of their favorite fictional character.

And where are we? The loyal fans? The ones who took the time to learn Redkit and have been here since Witcher 1? We're all PC players, so we're all modders. We're forgotten. Beneath even their notice. They haven't even bothered to tell us anything. They made such a fake effort at "getting more in touch with the fans" with their forums guy, Marcin Momont, who barely ever says anything meaningful, and when he does, it's far too little. And that was it.

So, basically, what CDPR /can/ do and what they /will/ do are two very different things. They're obviously no longer the cool company that loves modders and listens to their fans, despite their transparent attempts at making us think they haven't sold out now that they've seen the money. I held out hope for so long that this wasn't so, but come on. They won't even explain their texture system because it VERY OBVIOUSLY was not meant to be mod-friendly, something they PROMISED US before release. PROMISED. I gave them my money based on that promise. So did you guys. That is false advertising. The only reason I play video games at all is because I can mod them. I'm not even going to get into the english spelling and grammar errors and my lack of a real response pointing them out. (Which are now present in the new Hearts of Stone release too.) The whole thing just points to them no longer being the company they were. Which, honestly, is heart-breaking. No joke. CDPR used to be a bright beacon of what-is-right among the money grubbing studios that release video games. Have they gone the way of BioWare?

But I've gone off my point. The sad thing here is that there is so much potential. It's a fantastic world, with so much we can create. And we get Modkit.

But we're still here. I play Witcher games because I love the Witcher, regardless of CDPR. I loved the Witcher before CDPR was even making games. I modded my Skyrim so I could play a Witcher in Skyrim. And I'll still mod TW3 with their crappy tool to the greatest my limited means and expertise can manage (and my team can manage quite a bit, despite CDPR - we're releasing our open beta soon: a total overhaul of the game, with stuff no one thought was possible in, including a very, very limited version of a mod configuration menu for our mod and the mods that others have allowed us to include because the two conflicted).

P.S. To the poster talking about the videos of Redkit, that was stuff you could (and still can, I suppose) do with the old TW2 Redkit for TW2. All that video was was Witcher 2 stuff. The one thing it did, though, was promise us the same kind of modding we had in Witcher 2. Which, guess what, we don't have. :/

Edited by PaulMcGann

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #29778580. #29782865, #29788310 are all replies on the same post.

drakishar wrote: Something is wrong with it ... i have the steam version clean installed
Now when i try to uncoock the game i get an error regarding 2 files that i do not have in the folders.
Any modders out there that uncoocked the game with the new version and on 1.10 ?

[2015.10.24 09:49:35][Error][Core] [script]: Error game\behavior_tree\tasks\monsters\bttaskmaintainspeed.ws[10]: Class 'CBTTaskMaintainSpeed' already defined.
[2015.10.24 09:49:35][Error][Core] [script]: Error game\behavior_tree\tasks\monsters\bttaskmaintainspeed.ws[74]: Class 'CBTTaskMaintainSpeedDef' already defined.
[2015.10.24 09:49:35][Error][Core] [script]: Error game\behavior_tree\tasks\reactions\bttaskisman.ws[4]: Class 'CBTCondIsMan' already defined.
[2015.10.24 09:49:35][Error][Core] [script]: Error game\behavior_tree\tasks\reactions\bttaskisman.ws[15]: Class 'CBTCondIsManDef' already defined.
Neroxify wrote: I recognize those error messages when verifying the game cache and starting the game with mods.

Deleting "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content0\scripts\game\behavior_tree\tasks\hacks" folder usually fixed the error for me.
drakishar wrote: Thanks for the suggestion Neroxify. However that doesn't fix it.
The problem is in the Modkit r4data folder.

Here is the workaround :
1. Go to your MODkit installation folder.
2. Open folder "...\r4data\scripts\game\behavior_tree\tasks\"
3. Delete the 2 files from : monsters\bttaskmaintainspeed.ws and reactions\bttaskisman.ws

I'm getting those errors after installing the update:
Error [modcraftall]game\gameplay\crafting\craftingmanager.ws(153): Unable to convert from '&Int32' to 'CName'
Error [modcraftall]game\gameplay\crafting\craftingmanager.ws(153): With parameter 'craftedItemName'
and now the game stops from the launching process.
Edit:
Woops, i was wrong sorry, its not the updated tool, but after the game has been updated into v1.11 it happens. Edited by haldir307

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #29769295. #29773995, #29780210, #29806600, #29807195 are all replies on the same post.

legorass wrote: Still not even 1% close to 4 years!! Creator Kit from Skyrim..
nKZz wrote: Skyrim has a better modkit because the game was absolutely not finished at release. Bethesda obsiously counts on modders to finish their games (just look at Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3).
There are patches from modders correcting thousands of bugs, the UI is a joke, questing & fighting are pretty bad and the Creation Engine need to modded to offer decent visuals...

Don"t compare The Witcher 3 and Skyrim, it's indecent for Bethesda.

Nevertheless the game is not bad. I played near to 100 hours but playing "vanilla" is not possible.
turkay98 wrote: Finally someone who knows, why Bethesda is s#*! and their games are a piece of junk.
Zinthros wrote: Don't defend CDPR on this. They announced and demo'd a much better mod kit called Redkit, then suspiciously stopped talking about it the instant Microsoft chatted them up. I love this game too, but they f*#@ed us in the ass.
thisisweak wrote: nkZz...not only do you not have any credibility (0 mods created - so you do not understand how horrible the mod kit is), but you're logic is non-existent. Stating that Bethesda released an editor because the software was not finished is very ignorant. I bought Skyrim a week after it came out. Unlike The Witcher 3, I was able to complete every quest that I came upon. There are still many many bugs that the developers refuse to fix in the Witcher 3.

The reason Bethesda releases such good modding kits is because it cares about its customers. And the customers have responded! There is 61 times more mods for Skyrim than the Witcher 3. Yes, Skyrim has been out longer, but....

Witcher 3 - 7 months ~700 mods = 100 mpm (mods per month)
Skyrim - 48 months - ~44,000 mods = 917 mpm!

Witcher 3 - 7 months - 3 million downloads = ~ 428,571 dlpm (Downloads per month)
Skyrim - 48 months ~783 million downloads = ~16.3 million dlpm.

The Skyrim users have almost remade the game! Better graphics, New quests, monsters, buildings, UI's,

What does the Witcher 3 mods have to offer...ohh, eyecolor change! ohh, Trissemir and Yennemir...

And if we are comparing Oblivion to The Witcher 3, it is only fair to compare the original Witcher with Skyrim... Have you tried it??? It is so horrible that you will want to uninstall it after 5 minutes of play... The combat was so horrible...

I cant wait for Fallout 4 to come out. This would be a more fair comparison to make. Not only will it make everyone forget about the Witcher 3, unlike CDPR, Bethsoft will release a killer Mod kit.

I wouldn't count on fallout 4 havening as much mod ability as Skyrim, after the paid mod fiasco I have a feeling Beth wont make modding so easy unless they get something out of it.

In response to post #29769295. #29773995, #29780210, #29806600, #29807195, #30162565 are all replies on the same post.

nKZz wrote: Skyrim has a better modkit because the game was absolutely not finished at release. Bethesda obsiously counts on modders to finish their games (just look at Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3).
There are patches from modders correcting thousands of bugs, the UI is a joke, questing & fighting are pretty bad and the Creation Engine need to modded to offer decent visuals...

Nevertheless the game is not bad. I played near to 100 hours but playing "vanilla" is not possible.
turkay98 wrote: Finally someone who knows, why Bethesda is s#*! and their games are a piece of junk.
Zinthros wrote: Don't defend CDPR on this. They announced and demo'd a much better mod kit called Redkit, then suspiciously stopped talking about it the instant Microsoft chatted them up. I love this game too, but they f*#@ed us in the ass.
thisisweak wrote: nkZz...not only do you not have any credibility (0 mods created - so you do not understand how horrible the mod kit is), but you're logic is non-existent. Stating that Bethesda released an editor because the software was not finished is very ignorant. I bought Skyrim a week after it came out. Unlike The Witcher 3, I was able to complete every quest that I came upon. There are still many many bugs that the developers refuse to fix in the Witcher 3.

The reason Bethesda releases such good modding kits is because it cares about its customers. And the customers have responded! There is 61 times more mods for Skyrim than the Witcher 3. Yes, Skyrim has been out longer, but....

Witcher 3 - 7 months - 3 million downloads = ~ 428,571 dlpm (Downloads per month)

The Skyrim users have almost remade the game! Better graphics, New quests, monsters, buildings, UI's,

What does the Witcher 3 mods have to offer...ohh, eyecolor change! ohh, Trissemir and Yennemir...

And if we are comparing Oblivion to The Witcher 3, it is only fair to compare the original Witcher with Skyrim... Have you tried it??? It is so horrible that you will want to uninstall it after 5 minutes of play... The combat was so horrible...

I cant wait for Fallout 4 to come out. This would be a more fair comparison to make. Not only will it make everyone forget about the Witcher 3, unlike CDPR, Bethsoft will release a killer Mod kit.

madpaddy wrote: I wouldn't count on fallout 4 havening as much mod ability as Skyrim, after the paid mod fiasco I have a feeling Beth wont make modding so easy unless they get something out of it.

f*#@ look at Fallout 4, they clearly have no intention of not depending on the MOD community! lol

In response to post #29769295. #29773995, #29780210, #29806600, #29807195, #30162565, #30291560 are all replies on the same post.

madpaddy wrote: I wouldn't count on fallout 4 havening as much mod ability as Skyrim, after the paid mod fiasco I have a feeling Beth wont make modding so easy unless they get something out of it.
djuplift wrote: f*#@ look at Fallout 4, they clearly have no intention of not depending on the MOD community! lol

Fallout 4 has only been out for 6 days and there is already more mods for it than their is for The Witcher 3! Ha Ha, big FAIL for CD Prodjunkt RED...

• 1 month later...

In response to post #29769295. #29773995, #29780210, #29806600, #29807195, #30162565, #30291560 are all replies on the same post.

turkay98 wrote: Finally someone who knows, why Bethesda is s*** and their games are a piece of junk.
Zinthros wrote: Don't defend CDPR on this. They announced and demo'd a much better mod kit called Redkit, then suspiciously stopped talking about it the instant Microsoft chatted them up. I love this game too, but they f***ed us in the ass.

djuplift wrote: f*** look at Fallout 4, they clearly have no intention of not depending on the MOD community! lol

Fallout 4 has only been out for 6 days and there is already more mods for it than their is for The Witcher 3! Ha Ha, big FAIL for CD Prodjunkt RED...

because hype, hype never changes :p

no matter how mediocre games they make (yes vanilla Skyrim and Fo4 are mediocre games), they'll always keep selling them on the name of the franchise, the name of their company and the marketing strategies. which explains why people are so into modding FO4.

on the other hand, modding that game is waaaaaaaaaay easier than TW3, without even having modding tools, and i suspect it'll grow even more with the release of the new GECK/Creation kit.

while TW3 modding will continue it's slow descent into hell (the MODkit is...not even an actual kit).

• 2 weeks later...

In response to post #29769295.

Skyrim has a better modkit because the game was absolutely not finished at release. Bethesda obsiously counts on modders to finish their games (just look at Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3).

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

And by the way,

You people seems to me as a bunch of spoiled child: "wheeee wheeeee we don't have a decent modkit :( whueeeeee." Where is write the law that said that a game must have a modkit? :D

Speak loud and clear, TW3 would not even need a help for a very simple reason, is a complete game, not an half abortion like skyrim AND F4, a game unforgivably lazy for lazy players, a shamefull and total lack of immagination, creativity and innovation, they have created a good mod kit only to give all the work needed for a good game at the community.

Without mods Skyrim is unplayable, is booooring, childish, lame character and story, awfull design and concept, ridiculus gameplay and full of tons of bug.
Fallout 4 is even worst.

That's is why they spend so much for a modkit.

• 1 month later...

And by the way,

You people seems to me as a bunch of spoiled child: "wheeee wheeeee we don't have a decent modkit :sad: whueeeeee." Where is write the law that said that a game must have a modkit? :D

Speak loud and clear, TW3 would not even need a help for a very simple reason, is a complete game, not an half abortion like skyrim AND F4, a game unforgivably lazy for lazy players, a shamefull and total lack of immagination, creativity and innovation, they have created a good mod kit only to give all the work needed for a good game at the community.

Without mods Skyrim is unplayable, is booooring, childish, lame character and story, awfull design and concept, ridiculus gameplay and full of tons of bug.

Fallout 4 is even worst.

That's is why they spend so much for a modkit.

A childish argument from a childish person.

We were PROMISED REDKIT, we got a command line utility that barely functions (if at all).

Skyrim is almost 5 YEARS old. I can mod Skyrim to relative visual fidelity with Witcher 3 with EASE. I can also:

- Add quests, NPC's, entire retextures.

- New gameplay mechanics? Want a survival game? Easy.

Witcher 3? Once you've played it's pretty much over, you can wait for DLC (Which you have to buy) but the game is pretty much done and gone.

• 2 months later...

I wonder why CDPr made such a bad decision by not releasing REDKit 3 :(

I can understand they want to sell the most out of their DLC, but come on, with early modding tools, the witcher 3 could have been a milestone in video game industry, and it would have sold many more in the long run, plus CDPR would have stayed true to the "cool" public image they have.

Now it only appears to be a commercial sucess that will fade with time. No one will think again about this game in 10 years :'(