Quest aliases do not fill on conditions

disi30

Hi and sorry I am new to Creation Kit and this may be a very idiotic way of trying this. After reading a lot and testing for at least two weeks, I am about to give up because it just would not even do the first step I need to get this working, loading other aliases than the player.

The quest is not started with the game, but started and stopped by another quest, which is attached to the player. This works fine!

It has two stages: a startup stage and a shutdown stage.

The first player reference alias (PLayerReferenceAlias) is loaded fine.

All the NPC aliases do not. NPCReferenceAlias

I tried all kind of stuff, even just condition "IsActor" and nothing else, it still won't load any NPC Alias.

If I set the first NPC alias to not optional, the quest fails 100% with two followers and other NPC around me. I am testing this outside Whiterun.

The idea is from here: http://www.gamesas.com/dynamically-attaching-scripts-actors-near-the-player-t255702.html

What do I miss? :smile:

p.s. I also tried to place the player alias at the bottom of the list and it just took a little longer until I got the ingame notification for it to be loaded, though none of the others. I test it with a script to get the reference of each and it just says "bla reference on none object" for all but the player.

You should not need to use any conditions at all unless you don't necessarily want them filling when the quest starts for some reason. Anything you might want to achieve with alias conditions can probably be done much more effectively by conditioning the ai packages instead. Using a forced reference of the actor or selecting a unique one from the dropdown should always have the alias fill, if I'm not mistaken. If it still won't fill when should, try a fresh save, the game can save some wonky things sometimes.

Also, unless your quest is REALLY short, you will probably need more than two stages.

You should not need to use any conditions at all unless you don't necessarily want them filling when the quest starts for some reason. Anything you might want to achieve with alias conditions can probably be done much more effectively by conditioning the ai packages instead. Using a forced reference of the actor or selecting a unique one from the dropdown should always have the alias fill, if I'm not mistaken. If it still won't fill when should, try a fresh save, the game can save some wonky things sometimes.

Also, unless your quest is REALLY short, you will probably need more than two stages.

OK, progress!!!

I created a new very clean profile and started a new game. This time it loaded at least the horses! :)

Thank you, I'll use this fresh game now for further testing...

I do this whenever something seems to not be working the way it seems it should, and that solves it a surprising amount lol. Also, in case you didn't know, you can skip the into to the game by using the dev console at the title menu, before you load a save. Saves a good half hour of tutorial. But yeah, get rid of your conditions on all the alias unless you WANT some of them to not fill, if you didn't already, and see if that fixes anything. If not, there might be something wrong with the way you are pointing the alias to the npc.

• 4 years later...

So I made 20 alias ref like this (using xedit, cuz ck is too slow, even with copy pasting and you can't add esp as master with it)

(the slot 49 thing is a placeholder I made for future mod expansion, should be slot 32 instead of 49)

Should I make them optional tho? or would that cause problems?

Edited by LeFlemard