MODPACKS plz w8 dont ban me for speaking the truth

Niccer

Do not forget you're up against the majority of mod authors in this idea of mod packs still. Unless this changes it's unlikely you'll see this practice supported on the Nexus. The authors the mods of which you intend to include will have to allow it first, before the site will even begin to consider allowing their hosting on here. It's a legal requirement for one, and more importantly a matter of respect and support for two.

The individual reasons for why the authors are against it in general vary massively, and no, it's not just because they won't get the fame. If you really think that low about authors, it's best you forget about using their mods.

Most points that were brought up against it in the past, and then again some years later, and again more years later, and again after this, and again, and... but I digress, were actually more in your, the users', favor than in the authors'. A mod pack is not the solution, it is a problem you just can't see until it's too late and the damage is done. Those people working with the games and modding them for years and years on end know what they're talking of, you don't.

I'm not saying mod packs can't be done correctly, as it has been done for a multitude of games already more or less successfully in the past. But it needs dedication and investment, and most important of all, the support of the authors the works of whom are to be included, as there's nobody who knows their works as well as they do, and nobody who knows what all will break when their work gets introduced into a mod pack without second thinking or careful oversight.

I've seen mod packs "illegally" released in the past as well, and a horrid bunch of clueless blinds speaking up and preaching in support of them, only to sooner or later end up on here because something broke and the author of the pack knew nothing about the reason and they were running to the original authors instead, who again knew nothing about what the pack author messed up in their works and weren't of much more help than advising a complete uninstall and giving detailed instructions as to how to do it the right way from the start.

An all-too-easily missed matter of fact with these perfectly hand-crafted illegal mod packs out there is, they're not to everyone's tastes in all included details, precisely they're only to one single specific person's tastes in every single detail, their illegal combiner's, and once you add or remove even a single mod, everything is bound to crash and burn rather spectacularly. You can't see it, that's fine, but please listen when those fine people in the know are yelling up in warning to you that it is.

You can beat the dead horse even deader as much as you want, you certainly won't get banned for discussion of the topic alone.

Get a team of authors together, select a small group of their mods unlikely to contain anything one particular user might not want, or do the obvious and make everything optional, and set out to make them all play nicely together and under all thinkable users' game and mod collection circumstances, and who knows, you might even have a chance to create something worthwhile in the end. And maybe the Nexus will even allow this team-project to be hosted then, as it most definitely won't be just another Random-Joe-Blow's All-Time Favorite Mod Picks kind of spam upload, which is what the rule tries to prevent.

(And since I was reminded time and again that my disclaimer in the signature isn't enough and while there's a staff badge under my name people will always take my personal opinion on some matter for an official Nexus statement instead, which it really isn't at all, I'm saying it again, unless I'm writing in moderator orange, what I write here is just that, my own personal opinion as a mod author for 10+ years as well as a regular member on Nexus for longer than it exists, and that is that.)

Authors are not willing to put more time testing mod compediums, when they can spend it releasing updates for their current work. Also all updates require testing and it's more reasonable to keep troubleshooting users under specific mod page where author can manage it. We already have some people not clever enough to read FAQ sections and post in th right place.

There is no guarantee the mods you want to use will work together. A lot of stuff has to be edited on your own with tes5edit and wryebash depending on how you want your game to behave. What runs smoothly on one pc won't on other due to .ini files configuration and pc hardware specs.

For stuff like texture replacers there is already Mod Combiner.

This is not realy a valid reason becouse Steps G.E.M.S are already doing it. I just dont get why they dont just offer a single dl dl. I Bet it has more to do with the nexus wanting more traffic.

You have no idea what you are talking about. S.t.e.p is not done by authors of the mods on the list, it's a recommended compilation made by users of another forum (they just inform original modder that their file was added to s.t.e.p list). You still have to read FAQs and adjust to what your pc can handle. Besides that you have never tracked a mod and installed updates over a longer period of time. This just proves how little experience you have with modding.

PS: Doing s.t.e.p doesn't take 20 hours.

If you can't understand this issue from a mod authors point of view, it makes no sense to even try to explain it to you. Use search to view old topics. There is no point beating a dead horse.

Just know one thing. Mods are treated as intelectual property and can be taken down by mod authors at any time. Authors can and will enforce "no reuploads" rule to prevent distribution of their handcrafted content.

Your attitude towards modding is faulty. You talk like there has to be something done because:

1.Base game is dated/uninteresting and buggy.

2.Interest in TES V is dying.

Guess what, those are not modders problems. This is something you should be forwarding to developers trying to SELL a product. No one on nexus treats modding like a job and no one is receiving money that could help them sustain themselfs. Mod authors don't care how long the game will show up in rankings, they just mod for their own reasons.

Modding is not something that you have to participate in. If you don't want to spend time on it, just don't. People that want to download mods in 5min and then forget, don't make the community in a single player game. The dynamics here are different from multiplayer games such as minecraft. On nexus we need those who are willing to test, give feedback on bugs and content to interact with mod authors creating new content or enhancing existing one.

I do understand the problem from the modauthors point of vieuw did you even read what i said? They want to be recognised as they are not being payed. But they could easely incorporate an honour system in modpacks thru Mod Organiser As it is linked with your nexus acount.And why whould you not be able to give feedpack in about 1 mod in modpack.

Also interest in skyrim is alive and kicking you are just asuming things. Look at the steam statisticks. Its the 13'th most popular game on steam even after 4 years.

13,858 29,767 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Number Of players peak today

Edited by Niccer

@Niccer

You are a lost cause. Accusing other people of not reading when you simply can't comprehend what they are trying to tell you. Being stubborn and getting stuck at small details, because you're not realy interested in the rest, is simply selfish. You are just trying to push the matter, since you feel it would be benefitial to you or people like you. In short, you act like demanding consumer on a domain created for authors to upload their work under "non profit" disclosure.

I do understand the problem from the modauthors point of vieuw did you even read what i said? They want to be recognised as they are not being payed.

Before droping such outrageous accusations, try making and managing bigger mod like Dragon Combat Overhaul / Perma / Civil War Overhaul / etc. Users have problems even with small things like lods for Flora Overhaul and spam the thread there. They can't get that when you use more mods replacing lods, you have to manualy make a new lod in ck. Some authors went out of their way and created lod bildoards for automated program Dyndolod, but users still don't want to use it since it requires some work. There is no way around it. How many problems you think there are with scripted mods or the kind that edits quests and npcs? You have no idea how skyrim works and what can go wrong. Maybe next time read the post above, whos author was active on Nexus a lot longer than you.

The individual reasons for why the authors are against it in general vary massively, and no, it's not just because they won't get the fame. If you really think that low about authors, it's best you forget about using their mods.

But they could easely incorporate an honour system in modpacks thru Mod Organiser As it is linked with your nexus acount.

Then why aren't you doing it on your own? NMM was upgraded for the very same reason, make a list for others or find someone willing to post the text file from their mod manager. You were given the option to do so. Others won't sacrifice their time, because you need someone to hold your hand.

And why whould you not be able to give feedpack in about 1 mod in modpack.

Mod authors can be responsible only for their own work and don't provide support for all mods on nexus. They would not check and post under merged topic as this would be counterproductive and cut down their own time. Besides that you can't force other people to be interested and engaged in such project.

Lets say you would install a pack and suspect the navmesh near weaterfall/rocks is broken or that npc ai is just acting weird, under which mod you will report this?

-SMIM

-Tamriel Mountains

-Skyfalls

-Pure Waterfalls

-water mod

-USKP

-Cutting Room Floor

-Flora Overhaul

-Enhanced Landscapes

-Immersive Fallen Trees

-Convenient Bridges

-Skyrim Bridges

-Etac

-Bandit Camps

-housing mod

-quest mod

-AFT

-Followers as Companions

-Follow Me

In many cases the only supported solution is removal of the problematic/uncompatible mod until someone comes up with a fix/compatability patch (sometimes it takes months and will take only longer when it's not reported in right place and tested). Removing one mod from the list that depends on it, in most cases causes more issues you have to fix yourself.