Heavy Traffic ×

Can't Play FO3 - Undated Video Card Drivers

TimeShadow

If anyone has come across this problem or has a solution, help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem Details:

Running an AMD Radeon HD 5770 card with and Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66 Ghz processor. Just updated to the latest driver (Catalyst version 15.11 beta).

I'm running the game with FOMM w/ FOSE. When I try to start the game I just get a quick flash of the small FOSE window (as usual) and then nothing, if just won't even start.

Previously had an older driver version that was starting to give me trouble, hence the upgrade.

Thanks to all who can help.

~TS

(Beta) is buggy, go back to the older one.

EDit: use the radon clean up tool from their site fist before doing any thing, this will leave you clean.

make sure you download the older packages first.

install the graphics catalyst packages on windows standard VGA graphics.

you should end up with a clean system from there.

kitty

Edited by Purr4me

Thank you for your help Kitty,

I have a few questions if you could please;

When you refer to the Radeon clean up tool, are you referring to the AMDcleanupUtility.exe program ?

This removes the previous version AMD software.

Will this make my screens unusable until new drivers installed ?

You mention (install the graphics catalyst packages on windows standard VGA graphics.)

is this bypassing the Radeon HD 5770 card altogether, as this card has no VGA ports, just 2 DVI ports, one HDMI and one Display Port. My motherboard has no built-in video options ?

I am currently running two 19' Dell 1908FP (DVI/VGA) monitors in the two DVI slots on Window 7 pro.

Any suggestions on possible safeguards I should take before proceeding?

~TS

Edited by TimeShadow

When you refer to the Radeon clean up tool, are you referring to the AMDcleanupUtility.exe program ?

Correct.

Will this make my screens unusable until new drivers installed ?

Correct "hence" you need to make sure your ready with the replacement packages for that PC

You mention (install the graphics catalyst packages on windows standard VGA graphics.)

Correct, this removes any damaged files on the system before proceeding to update the graphics Engines...you Need a clean slate.

" the game and system seems to be getting buggy" Is that not what you said? So, replace the data as you would a bad mod. all of it.

your only other choice is a system roll back restore..it's all still there because you Just installed the "Beta"

is this bypassing the Radeon HD 5770 card altogether, as this card has no VGA ports, just 2 DVI ports, one HDMI and one Display Port. My motherboard has no built-in video options ?

all the drivers from the Beta packages will be removed along with any thing that package overwrote includes hardware bus drivers as Radon likes to make thing match .

Any suggestions on possible safeguards I should take before proceeding?

System Backup to an external drive now..I was unaware of your specs, complete backup Just encase.

link me to the page on AMD's/ ATI packaging you intend to use so I can see what's there.

Thanks for the help,

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Step 1: Desktop Graphics

Step 2: Radeon HD Series

Step 3: Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe

Step 4: Windows 7 - 64 bit

Two options:

Catalyst Software Suite (286 MB) version 15.7.1

Latest Beta Driver (301 MB) version 15.11 Beta

~TS

PS:

On a separate subject I was wondering if you have any suggestion as to where to post a request for beta testers for a FO3 mod I'm close to releasing.

Edited by TimeShadow

After you clean system and have VGA graphics only run windows update set manual you choose what to install search for hardware drivers in the update available uncheck everything except the video graphics driver download and install

On / about this topic:

• What I believe took place there was the direct-x and visual basics that come with the Beta drivers overwrote your Original direct-x software...so of course, Fo3 will glitch out because the older *'dll's used are now gone. same file names, but NOT the same files.
  • Game I believe, haven't check yet was using DX 8 for XP when built but the installer installs a DSK 9 package...the setup program scans for signatures of currently installed drivers and installs what is required by that game installer/ setup program.
  • all newer software are targeted for newer systems so, yes, your gong to see bugs, lot's of them. An assertion only.
  • The only way to prevent the difernt games from destroying other games software's is to sand box each game setup programs VIA VM systems...doing this, you can Isolate the drivers and copy them to the root directory of each game OR Isolate only the files that get overwritten to the same game directory.

too many things you can do, but the best thing you should do is pay attention to details between the games. Down to the very heart of the games resource requirements. PC hardware, Operating system versions.

kitty