Will I be able to run it?

Zackareth

Right be he didn't state what gen it is so stating it wont run seems a little presumitious. I have an i5 4690 3.2ghz by that logic it seems to imply I shouldn't be able to run the game above minimum specs?

If it were a newer i7-3.6 ghz, it should be fine, but there are alot of things that I felt were kinda iffy about it all. First is that it's from ebay, from China, instead of being through an official seller. To me this reads as either being older generation, or 2nd hand hardware. This was my presumption, and forgive me if incorrect.

The thing about the first case is that older models of some quad core processors, early i7 (and predecessors) and some AMD models, used older architecture which has significantly lower performance in multi-threading. The cumulative processing might have still been high, but the ability for information to be split between cores was severely limited. As everything at this suggests that FO4 will make use of hyper-threading to some degree, I would be wary of basing anything just on speed along.

The thing about the second case is that processors which were mounted, unmounted, repackaged, and shipped halfway across the globe usually have worse reliability or other performance issues. 2nd hand hardware is fine if you're building a computer for your kids to tinker with, gift to your parents so they can do that facebook thing, or just as a secondary computer so you can browse while you play a game without having to alt+tab. For a primary gaming machine it usually spells trouble. Even if it wasn't second hand, if it's coming from what is essentially a 4th party seller, and may not have been stored in the best conditions.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right be he didn't state what gen it is so stating it wont run seems a little presumitious. I have an i5 4690 3.2ghz by that logic it seems to imply I shouldn't be able to run the game above minimum specs?

If it were a newer i7-3.6 ghz, it should be fine, but there are a lot of things that I felt were kinda iffy about it all. First is that it's from ebay, from China, instead of being through an official seller. To me this reads as either being older generation, or 2nd hand hardware. This was my presumption, and forgive me if incorrect.

The thing about the first case is that older models of some quad core processors, early i7 (and predecessors) and some AMD models, used older architecture which has significantly lower performance in multi-threading. The cumulative processing might have still been high, but the ability for information to be split between cores was severely limited. As everything at this suggests that FO4 will make use of hyper-threading to some degree, I would be wary of basing anything just on speed along.

The thing about the second case is that processors which were mounted, unmounted, repackaged, and shipped halfway across the globe usually have worse reliability or other performance issues. 2nd hand hardware is fine if you're building a computer for your kids to tinker with, gift to your parents so they can do that facebook thing, or just as a secondary computer so you can browse while you play a game without having to alt+tab. For a primary gaming machine it usually spells trouble. Even if it wasn't second hand, if it's coming from what is essentially a 4th party seller, and may not have been stored in the best conditions.

Okay I see what you're saying now. You seriously gave me a scare with me thinking my hardware wasn't up to part. I'm sitting over hear thinking you know something I don't and I was desperately trying to figure out what it could be.

My system specs are well bellow the minimum so I'm banking on "Skyrim was playable, so this will be too."

Anyone have an inkling on how similar the two games are in terms of how demanding they are graphically?

Edited by dagavnuh

My system specs are well bellow the minimum so I'm banking on "Skyrim was playable, so this will be too."

Anyone have an inkling on how similar the two games are in terms of how demanding they are graphically?

Probably not that similar...

Skyrim was built around hardware similar to the Xbox 360 and 32 bit processors. FO4 was built around hardware similar to the Xbox One and 64 bit processors. While graphically there isn't much difference at the low end, as far as memory and processing goes there will be a very big difference.

If below the minimum requirements it is very likely that the game will throw up an exception when trying to launch and simply just terminate itself. Or it could start and just lock up.

But wait, doesn't this mean that there's a small chance that even if my processor is kind of old, as far as I understand, I might actually be able to play it, even though maybe only on very low settings and not at a stable 30 fps? Because so long as I get at least 20 fps, I'm sold.

Same here, haha. I kinda don't know why I'm even preloading it, but hey. Maybe I'll be able to play on 300x200 resolution or something, haha! :laugh:

Same here, haha. I kinda don't know why I'm even preloading it, but hey. Maybe I'll be able to play on 300x200 resolution or something, haha! :laugh:

Yeah, I'm regretting buying my copy off GMG, they're a legitimate source but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a refund if the game doesn't run. My wishful thinking got the better of me I think!