Discussion/ideas for the inevetable silent PC and Dialog trees foundation mod

Dukoth

Personaly I never had a problem with the main character having a voice, but upon finding out how limiting the dialog options are and reading a reveiw that explained what was being lost, I can now see why quest modders have a problem with the whole system

so I figured I get the ball rolling on a discussion for the inevitable mod that would silence the protagonist and recreate proper dialog trees, so as to act as a single unified resource for all quest mods to utilize

so here are some of my ideas:

1. The base functionality of this mod is: removing the voice of the main character and reworking the UI to provide for the old dialog trees that would allow for more than 4 dialog options

2. It should be ONE MOD that does both and ONLY those two things, all other bells and whistles should be add-ons to this mod, this is so quest mods have a single foundation to work from and you don't end up with multiple incompatible mods that do different things being required by different quest mods

3. When an MCM does get added I would be nice to have an option to reactivate the protagonists voice over for those of us who want it

you guys have any ideas?

I second this! As I also don't mind the protaganist's voice, the first time in the gameplay demo, when he talked to his robot butler (forgot his name), i thought he was going to say the complete opposite thing when he selected one of the options. This is the same problem that I had in Mass Effect. Let's just say that I am going to be saving quite a bit before I talk to people.

On a more helpful note, I am pretty good at writing/edtiting so I can help with that when work gets started. I think all of your ideas are spot on.

i agree, this has been discussed to death already but to be honest it's good to have it here in the FO4 forums.

i dont mind the voice acting it seems good this time around (compared to previous Bethesda/Obsidian games) but i really would rather have a silent protagonist. also the new conversation wheel is ridiculous that just creates a spider web of conversation options and hurts your ability to control the conversation because you have no freakin clue what you're going to say. this was fine for ME due to its linear story and gameplay and the fact that it was made to look like a movie. this is Fallout though it is supposed to feel like an open world RPG not a guessing simulator nor a game where the main character has a predefined personality and story.

That new mod that does these things will be the SkyUI of FO4.

Yeah right. Will it also be the framework of almost all upcoming mods? I can see the mod being big on the course of fo4 modding and one of the top, but not that much.

With that said, we will need the same framework.

This is oging ot be an absolute nessecirty. probably won't be buyuing the game until it's rel3eased. I'm just worried it will take significantly longer due to having to writeout all the exisitng player dialogue in to the new farmework.

I had to skim through for fear of spoilers so apologies if this repeats anyone's point/s. I prefer playing in 3rd person, and - setting aside the whole 'silence your character' thing, which should be relatively simple - just wondering if the cinematic 3rd person dialogue cam can be prevented so we don't see our PC's lack of lip movements. Wait what am I saying, of course it can. Hopefully it will be simple.

Also, this thread's timely. Having a common framework will make life easier for everyone.

I had to skim through for fear of spoilers so apologies if this repeats anyone's point/s. I prefer playing in 3rd person, and - setting aside the whole 'silence your character' thing, which should be relatively simple - just wondering if the cinematic 3rd person dialogue cam can be prevented so we don't see our PC's lack of lip movements. Wait what am I saying, of course it can. Hopefully it will be simple.

there are no spoilers so far. with only a minor exception being the mention of the preview footage involving the butler. just a statement about the response not a copy of it.