The dialogue system and mods.

tnu

OK now that we have the dialogue system tested and played by people how will it impact mods like quest mods, dialogue expansion mods, etc? things like Immersive Speechcraft in Skyrim or just things to add more dialogue options with exisitng NPCs. are these ju st not viable in Fallout 4? will tha y effectivley kill th is mod and make it impossible for these m ods to be made or if thay can be made will it make it impossible for htem to work together like thay have been able ot?

I imagine most of these can be done just like anything else once the toolkit is released.

Voices for the dialogues are another problem and would likely require having something like a group of voice actors who would be willing to voice the dialogue as well as the rest of the game.

It's hard to say? One of my first anxieties when the Voiced Protagonist was announced was if it would mean a decline in quest mods, and mods in general that have you interacting 'verbally' with npcs. But if there's one thing defining a modder, it's sheer persistence so this won't be enough to stop anyone from making quest mods.

I'm actually very torn. Having a VP does limit you from roleplaying to the extent you could in previous games. But I like the voices, especially Courtenay Taylor's and don't at all mind HER voice supplanting the one in my head so I don't really want to blank her out completely :blush: but also fear the transition from having a voice in default game -> (possibly) not having one in a mod will be too abrupt. By Talos, what a dilemma.

edit: not sure what Immersive Speechcraft does so can't comment.

Well, one thing I can see is either having a mod for a silent protagonist, or a protagonist with only basic voiced sounds, with all the others unvoiced (like it was in previous games). This would put things back into familiar territory for many and be a less jarring contrast for quest mods.

As for it being a problem? Really, history speaks for it here. Many quest mods in Oblivion, FO3, FO:NV, Skyrim didn't have voices, and people still played them. The only limiting factor here is how many people are willing to tackle whatever internal arrangement quests and dialogues need this time around. And we won't really know that until the CK is released, so no sense sweating it.

My guess is that there will be something like Fuz Ro Doh for Skyrim? In a mod quest, your char. speak in texts & this Fuz Ro Doh equivalent will play silent voices over it. Without this Fuz Ro Doh-like mod, your main characters will use random lines & people will post on the forums talking about how funny or silly it was?

My guess is that there will be something like Fuz Ro Doh for Skyrim? In a mod quest, your char. speak in texts & this Fuz Ro Doh equivalent will play silent voices over it. Without this Fuz Ro Doh-like mod, your main characters will use random lines & people will post on the forums talking about how funny or silly it was?

I agree.

For more choices, maybe a more option?

I think quest modders will like that the the npcs can way a lot now.

a "More" option wouldn't really work because only one mod would be able to use it and it would have to replace an existing option in all cases. my main issue is t he idea of multiple mods adding dialogue ot the same NPC