Introducing Absalon - Modding Team

WulfGram

Introducing Absalon The Skyrim Modding Team!

The picture hopefully shows what we are looking for, if you have any questions about positions please ask me either here or on skype.

Skype = oriengames.co

Absalon is not looking for anyone super experienced specifically, we just want anyone we can get so if you are an aspiring Mod Creator or Writer or Designer please look into joining Absalon.

We plan to make a wide range of mods. We want to start small maybe a dungeon with a new weapon, just to establish ourselves as a team. Then we want to move into the more complicated things like making whole Storylines and Questlines to go through (Possibly DLC Sized), our end goal is to just make mods for the players of Skyrim.

If you want anymore more info please ask below or ask on skype.

I think the phrase - "You show us yours and we'll show you ours" is fitting here.

A registered user of the Nexus for only a few days with only 1 post in the forums, and 0 files or images, asking to put together a mod team, by imagining that you've given it fancy name? Might need a little more to go on than that.

What do you need a manager for?

To draft a development plan, coordinate volunteers, enforce quality control and design consistency,and otherwise ensure that the project doesn't turn into a clusterf*#@. It's very necessary if you've got more than two or three people trying to make something cohesive.

Interesting. Thing is, I've rather recently worked on a larger team project with contributions from an amount of people in the double figures. We did not have nor need one, let alone several "managers" to coordinate anything, meaning: unless your aim is to create a mod rivaling a triple A studio release in both quality and scale, chances are you are not going to need several people dedicated to management tasks. What we did have though was a good idea of who was capable of doing what right from the beginning, because, you know, people were willing AND able to show 'credentials'. Moreover, we all knew from the beginning what the whole thing was gonna be about rather than having a vague goal like "making a huge maybe dlc sized mod or something".

The result of said team effort is a mod called molag bal's inferno.

I know guys like the OP are posting threads like these in good spirit - they are enthusiastic about modding and would like to get something of the ground, and that is cool, however, all these threads also come with a good portion of naivete.

They seem to have all the really superfluous stuff down right from the start: a fancy "studio name", team structure, which positions need to be filled.

Yet they lack the most important things, like, for instance, anything to show, any sort of detailed idea of what they actually want to do.

You don't just start a business of any kind not knowing anything about the particular type of business, no idea what to do other than making loads of money, with nothing to show but a cool name for your business and then start hiring people telling them that you need one guy to do this and one to do that etc.

Now, I actually do not know if the OP and his team as it is right now (consisting of a not specified amount of people) actually do know some things about modding or not. That leads me to the second problem: threads like these usually do not show any work that has been done and are vague as f.

Look, if after reading a recruitment post (and if it contains all available information on the team there is) I still have no idea what they are about, then the chances of recruiting me are zero.

You are saying you are going to make something small or whatever first (hint, dungeons are not the simplest of mods) and then something big or whatever with storylines and quests or whatever.

Let me put it bluntly: You basically have no real idea of what you want to do, but at the same time you are absolutely certain that you will need a dedicated coder, a dedicated 3d artist, a concept artist, a storyboarder, and several managers.

I am fairly certain not even the biggest and best mods on the nexus have had all of these positions filled. Most of them were put together by groups of people who had only a fraction of those skills, or even by individuals with an even smaller fraction of said skills. Yet, they made due with what they got (hint, there are PLENTY of resources you can use for free without having to have a dedicated 3d artist). You don't just start out with all those positions filled and make great and awesome mods from the get-go. You start out on your own and make simple mods, learn and get better, and when you actually have something to show AND have a good idea of what you want to do AND you can outline it in detail, THEN you MIGHT have a chance of recruiting people.

Even if someone well established in the modding scene, like idk, Elianora or someone, came up here and was like "Yo, dudes, I want to make this huge dlc sized mod and I need a coder, an animation artist and a scuba diver. k thx bye, ps: team name is Awesomolon", chances of recruiting people without outlining exactly what the project will entail are zero.

A complete 1-post newcomer would have an even worse chance, if zero wasn't already the lowest possible.

I am not looking to take away your spirits or enthusiasm for modding, or working in a team or whatever, but I want you to consider what would make YOU eager to join a team and collaborate on a project before you make threads like these, and that you put as much effort into outlining your projects, as you put into coming up with a fancy name.

Edited by BigBizkit