No ingame brightness / gamma setting.

yunage

Why is there so much white in this game? I wasn't expecting another Dust Bowl like New Vegas, but this is easily the brightest game I've played in 25 years of gaming.

Now, I'm sure most PC gamers out there don't appreciate having to adjust the monitor brightness every time they play a different game. To me though this issue is a bit more problematic. I happen to own an early, modded GSync screen. It has brightness and gamma settings, but due to the nature of these early hardware mods, they are locked into 'pretty darned bright'. This has never been an issue with any game for me, it was always possible to alter a setting or edit an ini file.

I'm guessing the script extender or unofficial patches will eventually enable this, but in an attempt to do something about this now I have tried to add the fGamma line to Fallout4Prefs.ini, in the Documents folder. I tried it at 1.400, which is what I have Skyrim at with my current ENB preset. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work.

Engine stuff has always been extremely hard to mod, but I'm hoping either ENB, the Script Extender or a future patch, unofficial or not, will come through.

Edited by yunage

There's far more than brightness/contrast left out of the settings. Really what's offered is what one would expect from an indie title made by someone with no experience. For a AAA release it is quite bleak but then again it is Bethesda and pathetic is becoming their norm for options.

There's far more than brightness/contrast left out of the settings. Really what's offered is what one would expect from an indie title made by someone with no experience. For a AAA release it is quite bleak but then again it is Bethesda and pathetic is becoming their norm for options.

Absolutely true and definitely something I've also noticed. I just find it odd that they chose to not implement a very basic feature in the game, to the point of even removing it as an available option from the .ini files. I'm not really sure what that implicates.

I submited a complaint ticket, but I'm a little worried Bethsoft will just pull another lip-sync bug on us.

Thers a problem with the light in general this time, one of them is contrast, its severely lacking ...

(B/W so color doesn't distract)

Fal02.png

The only excuse I can see here is 'but now you can see in the dark / shadow' yeah ok that is right but its really not doing F4 any justice at all, if anything its hurting it.

Good to hear Boris is on the job once more, I'm very thankful for his wonderful work on the ENB series :)

Those are some sexy screenshots. But yeah, I see what you mean.

The weirdest thing though, I was strutting around a bit in some underground area, when the contrasts in darker areas suddenly didn't look all that bad. Maybe the reason why they removed the gamma slider is that the godrays uniformly make only certain sections of the game too bright. So if you change a brightness setting to compensate for godrays, other areas may be overcompensated.

Edited by yunage