Request: Fix the UI navigation

FayEverdunes

I play Fallout 4 on the PC/Steam and the UI is SO counter intuitive because it uses a console setup and is completely NOT optimized for Keyboard/Mouse usage, it's so bad! If someone could make a mod to polish all this out that would be great!

Some windows require you to press ESC, or TAB, or ENTER to escape them while at the same time they may require TAB or ENTER to open. It's so incohesive I keep clicking the wrong buttons. I know I could just 'rebind' some stuff but I would much rather have one button that will exit me out of or cancel stuff and one button to open or approve of stuff with the exception of opening Pip-Boy initially.

Secondly, having to use arrow keys to navigate the workbench is also annoying, a UI overhaul with a list of categories to choose from rather than going up and down might be more oversee-able and useful.

Then finally, when using a computer and you go 'back' a page to click on another 'link' the selection is sort of stuck? and you need to move around before you can select stuff.

Being able to scrap junk while in inventory rather than having to drop it (unless I'm blind which is certainly a possibility with how hard it is to find anything on this mess, but I can't see a way to do it otherwise).

If there are ways to fix all this without a mod please let me know, I mean, I 'think' I will be able to rebind some stuff but it would be so much easier to just whack on a mod and navigation = fixed. I feel Bethesda dropped the ball on this big time (the rest of the game is great though).

Edited by AlunaeFay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Try the Scrap Grinder mod. It lets you make a Scrapper workstation in which you put your scrap and trigger the scrapping process.

It's not perfect - the menu to choose where you want the scrap to go has no escape, and the animation of you scrapping will NEVER END on it's own, you have to step away from the bench - but aside from those two flaws, it works perfectly.

My bench is set right next to where I fast travel - first thing I do is unload all the junk and scrap it, then carry on with unloading loot.