Vehicle Mod

dhk08002

I think it'd be fun to have some off road vehicles in FO4. Maybe ATVs, something like a hover-segway for power armor(Think robotech's second season), and definitely a yes on something akin to Halo's warthog complete with NPC or playable gunner seat attachment. They could all be powered by fusion cores (Being too reliant on coolant probably wouldn't be too great, considering the state of most Red Rocket stops)

I think the primary hurdles are how to handle path finding for NPC vehicles if these are the case. ATVs could basically go anywhere you could on foot, but with generally more noise and maybe lacking the ability to strafe, but you could probably pretty easily include an ATV or two in your periodic ambient encounters with human factions such as raiders and settlers.

The hypothetical hover skiff would essentially allow power armored and non-power-armored users to ignore rough terrain at the expense of added bulk. If an NPC were to use these you'd need a whole new set of engagement logic where they'd be trying to stay mobile while attacking.

I don't even know where to begin with a warthog/humvee/jeep. These might be better served as all being basically stationary turrets you encounter and need to repair if you wanna drive.

Rollerskates, least that way it'd be a less passive experience as it'd be proportional to your AP. Or failing that, how about Brahmin style 'taxi' service.

Besides, the scaled-down version of Boston present in Fallout 4 isn't conducive to vehicular travel - you'd be able to get from one end of the map to the other in roughly five minutes! Not to mention that the game engine would struggle with updating cells if you travel at high speeds - as it is in the default game, it struggles when you travel via vertibird.

Edited by AGreatWeight

you'd be able to get from one end of the map to the other in roughly five minutes! Not to mention that the game engine would struggle with updating cells if you travel at high speeds - as it is in the default game, it struggles when you travel via vertibird.

Actually, for that exact reason, you'd, by necessity only be able to go a little faster than vertibird. Faster as it'd require more maneuvering to get from place to place.

I thought that Fallout 5 was already set in New Orleans?

There is word that it will be set in Houston, Texas, with a DLC in New Orleans. But really everything is just rumors. Bethesda is dead-silent on the topic, and no matter how many "predictions" Game Informer, GamePro, and PC Gamer make, they are all irrelevant. I have a petition going, of course, to make Fallout 5 set in New York, Tokyo Japan, and London England, all at the same time. This petition will go directly to Bethesda.

Fallout will never be set outside of the U.S.

Much of the thematic content is centered around McCarthyism (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism).

That just doesn't really work as part of the setting outside of the United States.

Frankly, for that reason, I would personally never want to see it set elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new IP that took place in China and was set in the same timeline, but not under the Fallout label.

Oh come on. That's some narrow thinking there. You've got to know that there was a huge culture of McCarthysm all around, even in the UK, including Spain! at that time. Just different versions. That content dwindled severely in Fallout 4 anyways compared to 3 and NV. And I only got London, from a BETHESDA survey that was launched asking people if they thought it would be cool to make a UK Fallout, or a Tokyo Fallout, or just go to California. I found it interesting so I made a petetition for all three at once, since those were the top ratings. Each Fallout, Bethesda hires more designers, and more, and more, and more. The ideas are getting more interesting each time. As the ranks bloat and fill with enough heads, anything is possible.

• 2 months later...
Guys it needs to be a motorcycle it will go with the whole line wonder idea very well. Although you would have to make it so your compainion could ride along. Have your wife/husband sit on a back seat. As for dog meat... I have no idea how you'd make that work.

I actually made a bicycle and a RV from scratch a couple of months ago, i was waiting to get back into it to finish it. I love the idea of the RV since it reminds me of that feeling in walking dead that they have when leaving in an RV, looting and all :P

I had to prototype for the mecanism/motor but it need way more testing:

One motor i made it with an invisible power armor, and the RV is using physic so the wheels have the illusion of rolling while its actually the power armor walking in front..

The other motor is made with a gatling gun so that when you press the trigger, the rotation makes the two front wheels rolls, but the issue here is that i cant have good physic bumping movement when driving..the only good thing about this one, is that its kinda realistic when starting the vehicule since it starts slow and accelerate faster.

My goal: find a good animator for some stuff for my bycicle, and finish positionning the 'activators' for the RV. And i'm not entirely sure wich prototype to use for motor.. with the invisible power i wont need any scripts! Wich is great imo! But i cant make it accelerate slower at start then faster., it starts already fast when running.. and if i use the gatling gun as a motor, i cant have good movement from left to right without scripts,,,