Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

They say that no good RPGs have a voiced character but they do, The Dragon Age Series, Guild Wars 2, and others that get high praise. Another thing that they complain about is the graphics. I know games recently have been photo realistic, but if you judge a game by the graphics than you shouldn't be calling yourself a gamer. In the last two years there have been many good games that aren't photo realistic and expecting an A list game to look like that is just stupid.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are allowed to have opinions, you know. Granted, I'm loving Fallout 4 right now, but it does have its problems. Some people exaggerate their opinions (Who doesn't really? You and I are also exaggerating right now), but it's not entirely illegitimate of them to have certain expectations..... after all, they paid for the games. If Fallout 4 isn't good for them, what's stopping them from expressing their distaste? When you buy a game, you see gameplay/graphics beforehand, and you think "Gee, that plays well/that looks good!" and have certain expectations during release time (and the time after, should developers continue patch support), then if that expectations aren't met, why would it be considered stupid of people to think that this game didn't reach that expectation?

And yes, people who judge games by the graphics they may, or may not, have are still gamers. The fact that they judge the game for one aspect over another doesn't make them less of a true gamer than someone who judge games by its gameplay. You play games? Then you are a gamer. What angle you choose to play games for doesn't differ them from the other. A true gamer is someone who passionately enjoys playing video games, for whatever reason it may for (graphics, gameplay, relaxation, etc.).

Besides, the vocal ones tend to be explosive about their hate towards something. People who genuinely enjoy their games won't go off somewhere on the interwebs to spew their hate.

Edited by ZeroKing

Bethesda is not even trying to create roleplaying games anymore, yet they continue to stick the label on it. Even as an action RPG, Fallout 4 delivers close to none of the things that are to be expected in that genre classification. They have effectively surpassed Mass Effect in thwarting any attempt by the player to roleplay their way through the game.

As a Fallout game, I hate it. As a roleplaying game, I hate it. As a generic action shooter, Far Cry style, it's passable and possibly quite enjoyable. They should just drop the act and sell it as such.

I'll tell you why people hate it.

For a game which took several years to make (whether you want to include Skyrim development into the mix or not is up to you) Fallout 4 is an embarrassment. It looks and plays significantly worse than Skyrim, essentially on visual par with a nicely modded version of FO3...which was a PS3/360 era title. Some people hold the opinion that, for a game releasing in 2015, this absolute lack of any significant forward progress is totally unacceptable and rather disconcerting.

People are varying degrees of insulted/pissed/disgusted because Bethesda appears to have put absolutely the least amount of effort possible into this very ugly and very clunky game which, frankly, feels a bit like an egregious cash grab. "Yay moar Fallout 3" just isn't good enough for fans of this series who happen to be a little discerning. However, it's apparent the innumerable fans of Pewdiepie/Miley Cyrus/Caitlyn Jenner and other like media who also play/pay for this game absolutely could not care less. The mass popularity of something doesn't always speak to the intrinsic quality of said thing.

Final note on the graphics: I'm not sure why it's so bloody difficult for people to understand why fans are ticked off about the visuals. It's not just that the game looks bad (which, let's be honest, it does) - it's that it looks bad (and plays bad) in EXACTLY the same ways as FO3/NV. Bethesda can't even use an "oh well, guess we learned nothing" defense because Skyrim was significantly improved, so there's no way to hide the fact 0 effort was made to improve upon a game from 2008 which they now have the audacity to ask $60 for today. This is being construed by some as a callous slap in the face to a lot of people who put a great deal of money into Bethesda's pocket. And lest folks get their knickers in a twist concerning that last statement, this has nothing to do with entitlement - it's simply about customers calling out a professional studio for half-assing a major installment of a beloved IP.

Graphics are fine, crafting system is the best of any game I've ever seen barring maybe minecraft I can break down anything and everything I find in the wasteland and significantly upgrade weapons and armor with a s#*! tonne of different options. trading is kind of hard but we no longer have the I'm walking around with 50,000 bottle caps paying 30,000 for one gun which is better. Feels like a port a lot of the time which is a problem for me but ok you can get used to it. So much of the lack of forward progress is highly subjective, new A.I for monsters is incredibly improved looting the super duper mart actually felt more like a walking dead experience which maybe isn't for everyone but it was scary this time. Mirelurks tactically use their shell when fighting/advancing, dogs sideline and flank you using pack tactics instead of beeline, humans make use of cover, feral ghouls are still combat effective after blowing off a limb which happens a lot, (they are ghouls). Molerats burrow, (maybe needs to be nerfed a little). The wasteland for the first time is a really dangerous place only slight criticism is the lack of realistic kill shots i.e. if you shoot a raider in the head with no armor they shouldn't still be ok to fight. You can build up your own settlement, which is a little immersion breaking when you just scrap a whole house in 5 seconds and it seriously needs some cleaning/landscaping tools but nothing a mod wouldn't fix.

People who are getting shitty because they wanted more or something different well ok fair enough, but if you look at the game for what it is regardless of anything else you can still get something which is definitely higher than a 5 in my book, also I'm usually pretty critical of stuff not just some fanboy. Give it 6 months with patches and mods before going overboard with the judgement.