Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

Cossayos: It's the same damn game!

Everyone Else: Look at all these differences! {List of differences}

C: It's the same damn game!

E: No, seriously, look at the differences! {Expanded list of differences}

C: It's he same damn game! You've just bought into the hype.

E: No there are real ways in which it was different from previous Bethesda games. We've listed them!

C: No it's the same damn game! {picks one minor point from the list and argues against it.} I don't understand why people think I'm defending FO4.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did have a companion, a person from your childhood you could recruit. They also had that quest where you return home to get kicked out again. *shrugs* It's a matter of taste, but that had more of an impact on me then fallout 4s dead wife and missing kid.

Contrast that to getting shot in the head, having a robot plucking you from your grave and carrying you to old Doc Mitchell's house, getting all patched up, taking a Rorschach test to determine questionable traits, and then opening the door only to find yourself tied and bound in a wagon delivering you to the executioner's block in Helgen.

Trauma is obviously a way to set the stage for a good video game.

You know what I really hate about this game? Every damn enemy making a beeline for me, even if attacked by other characters. They're getting shot at from different angles, yet they ignore the bullets flying an make straight for me. Always.

That's not a challenge, just stupid design.

And yes, I find the backstory less than convincing and tned to ignore it. But it's not as if there has been any FO or Elder Scroll backstory in the convincing segment. With Elder Scrolls it's alway, oh look, you're prisoner of unknown heritage and make it out of capture. With FO it's always some drama queen approach. Find your father, find your missing child. Unknwon courrier with Obsidian's FNV.

Edited by cossayos

And yes, I find the backstory less than convincing and tned to ignore it. But it's not as if there has been any FO or Elder Scroll backstory in the convincing segment. With Elder Scrolls it's alway, oh look, you're prisoner of unknown heritage and make it out of capture. With FO it's always some drama queen approach. Find your father, find your missing child. Unknwon courrier with Obsidian's FNV.

How can you ignore the backstory in FO4? You can't complete the game unless you are the SS. I never did, but could totally get playing as another character in Fallout 3, provided you at some point interact with/mentor/companion James' child. Father isn't going to give the Directorship of the Institute to a stranger who just happens to best Kellogg, he's counting on parental affection to make you loyal. Anyone else would pop him the first time he shows his face in Institutionalized.

The "prisoner of unknown heritage" isn't a lazy or random design choice, it is the basis of the entire franchise, it's why the games are called "Elder Scrolls" in the first place. Your character fulfills certain predetermined characteristics from one of many possible timelines as prophesized by the scrolls. One of the clauses is the person must be a total nobody, an empty vessel for Shezarr. Pay closer attention and you will see the Elder Scrolls games are very well thought-out.

I've said it before but I'll say it again here -- i'm not a fan of the "forced family drama" of Bethesda's fallout games, either. IMO the focus of these games has more to do with the theme of survival and "what makes civilization" than any kind of family thing. You could argue that family is a core component of survival and civilization but I think it is too narrow and constricts the plot.

How can you ignore the backstory in FO4? You can't complete the game unless you are the SS. I never did, but could totally get playing as another character in Fallout 3, provided you at some point interact with/mentor/companion James' child. Father isn't going to give the Directorship of the Institute to a stranger who just happens to best Kellogg, he's counting on parental affection to make you loyal. Anyone else would pop him the first time he shows his face in Institutionalized.

You will find me complaining in older threads about this over and over. I repeatedly said, I'm trying to fast clicking skipping all these teary moments and also said to be pissed off that in certain conversations the missing child is shoehorned in. I'm more than pissed over Jon Lung whom I never told about Shaun, nor anyone else in the Concord crew, to go on and on about finding my son.

No, it's reason for complaint. The story is shitty, make no mistake about it. As a player I do my utmost to avoid it and found myself not only not being drawn in, but not giving a s#*! from day one.

Well, I can't go back to Skyrim if that says how much I like Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though.. hated that game.

Storywise, I like it. Gameplay wise, there are quite a few things that Beth could have worked more on.. since they worked on this for so many years.

Edited by EveningTide

Well, I can't go back to Skyrim if that says how much I like Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though.. hated that game.

I liked Fallout 3 quite a lot, actually. Why? Because Bethesda made it's first cautious step of the NPC environment not being totally indifferent over what the player did or didn't do. They went full retard with Skyrim again in that department. That's actually the point where I would have expected quite a bit more.

Story of FO3 was shitty as well. Five or six measly quests to get you through the main and I did feel as detached as I feel with FO4s one.