Alternate Start, who really wants to play a middle aged parent?

sentrix

Kind of odd in Fallout 4 how you are very much forced to play a certain kind of character considering every other Fallout game leaves things more ambiguous so the player is free to fill in the gaps. I mean I can work off of what the game establishes but with my next playthroughs I like to play a completely different character and what if you didn't want to be a middle ages parent? What if you wanted to play a teenager, or an old person? It's kind of hard to play a ruthless evil waste-lander when you've been so loving and caring to your husband. I mean you could but then there's no consistent character motives and that hurts my brain.

One suggestion I have is that the starting couple might have a much older child, say a nineteen year old, that you could choose to play, or maybe a grandparent. This would maintain the plot of needing to find the baby.

Or a full alternate start that's more ambiguous like Bethesda's other games yet still establishes a need to find the baby.

I simply can't stomache the story. I'd rather not be forced into playing a character with a predetermined backstory and family. I've always played a loner in Fallout games. Having to chase after an unkillable father to further the plot in FO3 was bad enough. Having son (and spouse) is the last thing I'd ever want!

I would enjoy a mod that was a lot less "plot" centric. I don't care about voice acting and such. A character having no story at all is better than being stuck with a poorly developed piece of cardboard with a generic sob-story that fails to invest me. Let me start off as a squatter in Sanctuary. Hell, let me play the game as a kid or even as Shaun if I must! I'd much prefer anything that gave me even the tiniest bit of character freedom...

Honestly it's not that limiting.

1. The baby is under a year old. Considering the state of the world and the lore in October 2077, we are talking 1950s cultural ideas plus an active draft. The PC family is most likely in very early 20s, as a marriage not producing a child by then would start rumors that the wife was barren. If he was military and she has a law degree, 24 to 29 is as high as I'd think their ages went. Most likely, she was in law school when they met. 22 to 23 is very likely

2. The reason the baby was young is to keep the time in their lives to a minimum. Minimized impact means you don't have a protagonist hugging itself and sobbing about futility with PTSD.

3. The dialog options suggest the character doesn't have to give a damn about the baby. What if he resents not being on the front line with his buddies or what if she was keeping quiet misery about the stalling of her law career to have a baby? It's sort of like why we all sorta hope someone eats the baby on Walking Dead: so much could be happening without it. Yes, it's dickish, but nobody in Fallout is a saint. Go gun them down for blowing away that fine piece you married that was in the next cryo chamber.

Edited by DarkPurity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As someone who was a middle aged parent several decades ago, I find it refreshing to not be a child for once.

You are forced to 19 in FO3, and are called KID throughout of FONV. So the implication is that you are a youngster in both those games.

Edited by budrick007

• 3 months later...

In the old Fallout games you could choose your age with 16 being the youngest. There was great story potential in this that tells of a harsh world where you have to adapt to a life of violence at a very young age, that is completely lost since FO3.

Anyway there is an alternate start mod, not many endorsments and I haven't tried it. I don't know if it disables the main quest or not but here it is.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10951/?

edit: fixed some spelling mistakes.

Edited by PressTheEject

In the old Fallout games you could choose your age with 16 being the youngest. There was great story potential in this that tells of a harsh world where you have to adapt to a life of violence at a very young age, that is completely lost since FO3.

Anyway there is an alternate start mod, not many endorsments and I haven't tried it. I don't know if it disables the main quest or not but here it is.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10951/?

edit: fixed some spelling mistakes.

How did I miss this?