Alternate Start, who really wants to play a middle aged parent?

sentrix

I agree re the intro and start of the story being heavy-handed. It is a shame because it would only need a few dialogue changes to be ok with me. Just remove a lot of the dialogue options you have to do that involve finding your son(and stop the main character's pathetic voice acting ruining most answers when talking about your son), and instead of the first half of the story being about finding your son, make it about getting revenge...Make it so that you believe Shaun is dead and you are looking for Kellog for revenge, then when he tells you the Institute was behind it you can go after them for revenge. It would be far more subtle, leave more scope for going off and doing your own thing, and the big reveal would be much better imo.

I agree re the intro and start of the story being heavy-handed. It is a shame because it would only need a few dialogue changes to be ok with me. Just remove a lot of the dialogue options you have to do that involve finding your son(and stop the main character's pathetic voice acting ruining most answers when talking about your son), and instead of the first half of the story being about finding your son, make it about getting revenge...Make it so that you believe Shaun is dead and you are looking for Kellog for revenge, then when he tells you the Institute was behind it you can go after them for revenge. It would be far more subtle, leave more scope for going off and doing your own thing, and the big reveal would be much better imo.

I as well, to me the story was the worst so far. I just love how I can go thru the game being either a total b&@*$ or everyones hero, but the moment you talk to Nick about finding Shaun you revert to a sniveling baby (as female, no idea male dialogue). Personally wish they didn't add personality and voices to the main character. To me it ruins it, as I said above. Especially the save where I spent 3 in game months just doing stuff before even bothering the story.

Much as I do love the main story, it fails in an open world RPG. You can't have fun and go dick around the wastes if you think your newborn baby has been kidnapped. It really pigeon holes the player.

Far Harbor puts an amazing spin on this where you can admit you might be a synth, which would be a great explanation and a much better twist I think, but it goes nowhere and it still forces the player into a specific backstory. New Vegas handled it the best I think; no family, no friends other than the ones you make, whether you remember your backstory before Goodsprings or not is entirely up to you, and the main quest isn't insanely imperative so it doesn't feel weird that you're goofing around.

But yeah, I'm happy for any proper Alternate Start mods, since half of Fallout games for me is roleplaying and creating a character. One that entirely bypasses the beginning since that takes way too long to get through anyway when you start a new playthrough. Will certainly be trying Another Life, thanks for linking that

Edited by robberfox