Forum Vigilantes

Dark0ne

Do you think requesting for a thread to be locked would be counted as a vigilante act? I posted a request for my own thread "You know you've played too much morrowind when..." to be locked (didn't use report feature, I made a post) because people were just beginning posting stupid stuff and none of it was funny at all. Then Switch told me to be careful because Peregrine was being trigger happy with vigilantes. I didn't think it was that bad to request for a thread to be locked if it's obviously turning into pointless replies.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a difference between opening a thread asking a specific question and requesting locking when it is answered and requesting locking because you believe other people are spamming, hijacking or whatever. The former is fine, the latter best done by reporting - you are effectively criticising others and that can lead to flaming.

That's my two cents worth anyway.

• 4 years later...

I am not sure I should post here...but I don't know where to post...

If an admin reads this please move this post if necessary

I have a question: I have been reported it seems and I don't know why...

I believe when one guy is reported he should at least know why...

I don't believe my behaviour has been disrespectful or insulting in any ways...

In order for me to understand and correct myself if necessary I need to know the reason if any...

Also if there is no reason I feel the peron who reported me should be reported as well.

EDIT: I fear I might reported myself accidentaly, in this case just forget the nonsense of my post...

MasterAub, if somebody reports a comment you made, you and everyone else can see a slightly changed "report" button which means that post has already been reported.

What does this mean for you?

1. If a moderator has not contacted your or taken direct action (most likely within 24 hours), the report was either an accident because we get quite a few reports that were actually somebody trying to do a reply...or the report was unfounded or maybe not clear enough based on history to be considered breaking the rules. So if you were not corrected by a moderator, don't worry about it. We cannot remove the "marked" flag even if somebody did it by accident.

2. If a moderator takes action, you would not be wondering what you did wrong.

Also if there is no reason I feel the peron who reported me should be reported as well.
FYI - It is quite clear to us who did the reporting as well as who was being reported. Don't worry about that.

LHammonds

D) Report the thread to the moderators, providing a link to the old thread as well.

or

E) Answer the question by typing a new response, containing the information in the other thread if needed. But NOT instructing the poster to search for their answers in the other thread.

In any case, a helpful (but misworded) response is not the problem I was refering to. It's the "use teh saerch n00b" type of reply that I am seeing far too often from people who do NOT have the authority to make it. An honestly helpful reply will not get you a strike. Criticism for not searching WILL.

Umm, first of all, why are we not seeing a moderator flag under your name, secondly, that is ridiculous. Yes I wouldn't want to see people being rude about it but the moderators have lives too and politely linking someone to a thread and telling them the answer is in there should be perfectly acceptable behaviour. We shouldn't have to also reiterate the answer or pester a moderator. After all, that thread may contain more information than they even know they need.

Umm, first of all, why are we not seeing a moderator flag under your name, secondly, that is ridiculous. Yes I wouldn't want to see people being rude about it but the moderators have lives too and politely linking someone to a thread and telling them the answer is in there should be perfectly acceptable behaviour. We shouldn't have to also reiterate the answer or pester a moderator. After all, that thread may contain more information than they even know they need.
Look at the date of what you are quoting. July 26, 2006 (over 2 years ago). From what I have heard, this particular person "was" a moderator (at TESSource) who eventually lost his moderator status and eventually got banned (came back temporarily as DuskRider or some such name and was banned again).

Don't worry about how busy moderators are. If things get too busy, more moderators will be "hired." The rule about vigilantism is there to protect YOU and to keep you from getting involved in a flamewar with somebody begging to be banned and to take somebody with him/her.

Nobody likes being told that their behavior needs to change or that they are not abiding by rules (basically having their actions judged) which might spark that member to turn their bad behavior towards you...thus causing a flamewar and both of you get in trouble.

When a moderator warns members of bad behavior, there is no room or allowance for a "fight" to ensue...at least not publicly. Said member and a moderator can cordially discuss actions privately but the result is either the behavior being corrected or the member eventually being banned if they cannot manage to comply with the forum rules.

Also keep in mind that just because somebody is "reported" does not mean they will automatically be found to be guilty of breaking rules. That will be determined by the moderator doing the investigation. Any additional info you would like to share beyond the obvious is appreciated though.

We also have a reporting feature on the site that TESSource did not enjoy. You can simply click a report button now which gives moderators a direct link to the problem area, who reported the problem and who made the post which was reported. You do not even really have to say much in the report other than the specific rule being broken like "spam" or "bumping" or "vigilantism" or "flamebaiting" etc.

Thanks,

LHammonds

Look at the date of what you are quoting. July 26, 2006 (over 2 years ago). From what I have heard, this particular person "was" a moderator (at TESSource) who eventually lost his moderator status and eventually got banned (came back temporarily as DuskRider or some such name and was banned again).

Don't worry about how busy moderators are. If things get too busy, more moderators will be "hired." The rule about vigilantism is there to protect YOU and to keep you from getting involved in a flamewar with somebody begging to be banned and to take somebody with him/her.

Nobody likes being told that their behavior needs to change or that they are not abiding by rules (basically having their actions judged) which might spark that member to turn their bad behavior towards you...thus causing a flamewar and both of you get in trouble.

When a moderator warns members of bad behavior, there is no room or allowance for a "fight" to ensue...at least not publicly. Said member and a moderator can cordially discuss actions privately but the result is either the behavior being corrected or the member eventually being banned if they cannot manage to comply with the forum rules.

Also keep in mind that just because somebody is "reported" does not mean they will automatically be found to be guilty of breaking rules. That will be determined by the moderator doing the investigation. Any additional info you would like to share beyond the obvious is appreciated though.

We also have a reporting feature on the site that TESSource did not enjoy. You can simply click a report button now which gives moderators a direct link to the problem area, who reported the problem and who made the post which was reported. You do not even really have to say much in the report other than the specific rule being broken like "spam" or "bumping" or "vigilantism" or "flamebaiting" etc.

Thanks,

LHammonds

Oops. Sorry, mate. I saw the July 26th but didn't check the year. Yikes. Umm, err, well spotted! That was my deliberate test to see if you were paying attention. Well done. Or something..... :whistling:

• 3 months later...
agreed to the rules and regulations without no complain :D i think this forum is a cool place to stay in all we do is to use the report button and we all have good time here