Forum Vigilantes

Dark0ne

This was the greatest thread ever! So to recap. Dark0ne explains many members have been taking Moderating into their own hands instead of using the report button. Then it appears that the report button wasn't actually working currectly, hints why it appeared no one was using it. Then it was evidently fixed, and the thread continued. Questions were asked about what exactly constituted being a Vigilante and how to not get banned, and then at some point the Moderator explaining was banned.....Flipping awesome.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

about vigilantes.....

i think i've met one of them on here. not sure as they were not specific as to what i did wrong. i think it was the fact that my caps lock was on when i replied to a posting. i fail to see why capital letters are considered bad. capital letters don't convey emotion, and the lack of caps does not convey a lack of emotion. letters are just letters to me. I MEAN IF I START TYPING IN CAPS I'M NOT YELLING....I'M TYPING. IF I WERE YELLING THERE WOULD BE ALL KINDS OF REALLY NASTY THINGS INTERJECTED INTO THE TEXT RIGHT? so i guess i'm trying to say please get people to settle down and speak nice instead of nipping at the heels of someone who is probably a pretty nice guy.

JD (dats my name silly)

@JD (aka "niceguy");

On the interwebz, POSTING IN ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING.

Everywhere, all the time. There's no excuse for doing it. There hasn't been a CAPS-only device since the late-Sixties teletypes and TTY machines.

So, no wonder someone chided you... :biggrin:

lol. just because someone at some point decided to consider it as shouting doesn't mean that it is, and just because someone else perpetuated it doesn't make it so either. text is text. i don't even know what an "interwebz" is and don't care. i don't use a blackberry, and i don't text on my phone. i was raised on DOS, TELETYPES, and TTY machines. i still fix DOS based machines, and i still program in DOS. yup, i'm a genuine antique too. because everyone has different perceptions of the world it is absurd to automatically try and assign emotions to simple text. emotions are what you convey by the words you use and how you use them. not whether they are capitalized. besides, there are plenty of very nice explicatives that convey your emotions very well no matter what case they are typed in...lol :P

@JD (aka "niceguy");

On the interwebz, POSTING IN ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING.

Everywhere, all the time. There's no excuse for doing it. There hasn't been a CAPS-only device since the late-Sixties teletypes and TTY machines.

So, no wonder someone chided you... :biggrin:

lol. just because someone at some point decided to consider it as shouting doesn't mean that it is, and just because someone else perpetuated it doesn't make it so either. text is text. i don't even know what an "interwebz" is and don't care. i don't use a blackberry, and i don't text on my phone. i was raised on DOS, TELETYPES, and TTY machines. i still fix DOS based machines, and i still program in DOS. yup, i'm a genuine antique too. because everyone has different perceptions of the world it is absurd to automatically try and assign emotions to simple text. emotions are what you convey by the words you use and how you use them. not whether they are capitalized. besides, there are plenty of very nice explicatives that convey your emotions very well no matter what case they are typed in...lol :P

A) ALL CAPS is shouting. This is internet etiquette 101. You don't have to like it, but you can't just declare it doesn't matter.

B) Not bothering to capitalize anything in your post makes you look lazy and generally unintelligent.

C) Responses go below quotes, not above.

Thank you for your time.

lol.

Use of this term indicates you do, in fact, change your own behaviour in order to be understood by others through the use of current interwebz (slang for "the internet/worldwide web") jargon.

...i was raised on DOS, TELETYPES, and TTY machines. i still fix DOS based machines, and i still program in DOS. yup, i'm a genuine antique too.

And I've programmed in assembler, and was editing DOS batch files this very week. So...?

... because everyone has different perceptions of the world it is absurd to automatically try and assign emotions to simple text.

Which is why conventions (like: ALL CAPS = SHOUTING) are created.

... besides, there are plenty of very nice explicatives that convey your emotions very well no matter what case they are typed in...lol :P

I'm perfectly capable of shouting without using expletives. In fact, I try not to use them, and prefer others refrain as well.

Looks like a case of picking and choosing which conventions you want to observe (everyone does this) :tongue: But that still does not make all caps not impolite when used in a forum. - For TTY, I will make an exception. I am also an antique in that I was at one time making a living as a FORTRAN programmer (and no, that is not shouting, that is the proper way to type it.)

I have used Teletype for communication (at the time it was much cheaper than long distance to foreign countries) and yes, it was all caps.

For DOS, Caps was (and still is) often used for variable names. But not necessarily for comments or anything else. My first use of DOS only allowed 2 characters for variable names, and they had to be in caps or they would not be recognized by the interpreter (DOS uses an interpreter, FORTRAN must be compiled. There is a big difference.)

I do still have an old customer who refuses to use anything except DOS programs for his business. He calls me out of retirement to fix them as he claims the younger techs can't fix anything except Windows and are always telling him he needs to change. For his applications DOS works fine. And at 67 he doesn't see any reason to learn an entirely different way of doing things that he has been doing with the same set of programs for many years.

• 7 months later...
vigilantees huh? well, i've seen someone acting like he was a moderator in a mod. though the mod has illegal content some people comment badly and moderate the mod themselves. maybe you moderators and staff have placed the mod on a wastebin but i reccomend you should check the comment section....... and proof that some peple that commented on the mod are acting moderators......