How to stop Steam updating Fallout 4 and why you need to

UhuruNUru

New modders may not be aware of what makes Steam an awful Platform, whether you use Steam Workshop for mods or not.

Experienced Modders may not be aware of the changes to Steam's update settings (Skip to Heading, Recent Steam Change).

Updating both the Game and mods can break your game and/or mods, when done automatically.

It needs planning and testting first to see what's changed, sometimes mods also require an update, due to changes in the game or even other mods.

The absolute worst way to update a modded game, is to do it automatically like Steam and the Workshop.

This is the main reason that Steam Workshop, isn't used at all by most experienced modders.

If we want a mod, only available on the Workshop, We subscribe only long enough to download and archive (,7z, .rar or .zip) the 2 files all Workhop mods must have (.esp and .bsa which is now .ba2 in Fallout 4).

Mods here on Nexus and otther sites can come as loose files and folders or packed in a .bsa/.ba2 file. Then we use our chosen Mod Manager, to install that archive, like any other mod.

If possible I recommend getting games you want to mod from GOG, their DRM free games are ideal for modding.

GOG Galaxy allows you to set Auto Updates for each game and they provide manual installers as well, it's up to you which you use.

Falout 4 doesn't have that option and Steam doesn't allow you to turn off Auto Updates for just one game.

Recent Steam Change

Indeed you can't turn off auto updates for Steam at all, the best you can do is limit them to one hour per day (Downloads Tab in Steam's Settings).

Setting this time to when your PC is shutdown and you're generally asleep, may not be enough, though it appears to work for me, so far.

In the past, only running Steam in offline mode, would ensure no auto updates ran and going online, would start any auto-updates, as soon as you went online.

The recent change to Steam gives you an online option now, it appears to work well enough, I see games listed needing updates that haven't triggered.

Though I still prefer offline mode, at the moment. Until I'm sure Fallout 4 doesn't update. I can at least check Steam for an update, without actually triggering it.

Now you're in charge of Updating, when should you Update.

Generally the less experienced you are the longer you wait. Other more experienced modders, will test the game for changes. Collectively, the community will quickly find out if mods need fixing.

It always depends on what mods you use and their requirements for other mods. If a mod is changed and is one, another mod relies on it, the dependant mod may need an update as well.

Game changes cause the most problems, because every mod relies on the game. Some key mods are used by many others, these are the next biggest problem creators.

Mods that only rely on the game rarely cause update issues, but rarely is not, never.

Supported mods are usually changed within days, but some mods get abandoned, will never be updated and just stop working.

Take charge of updating your modded game, before Steam does badly, what it does automatically.

I prefer to wait until CK is available and give time to Bethesda to fix issues, for now I think it's only safe to mod textures.

Yah, pretty much this. I'm sure (I hope anyway) there will be a series of patches out to fix whatever for this game in coming months. Which is a decent enough reason

to be wary of any complex mod attempts until then.

I agree with the OP though, Steam system is a good way to break a working modded game one is happy with.

We cant' get around it with this system with this game, UNLESS the developer puts up a past branch system one can use.

European Truck Simulator developers

do this, one can go to the 'beta' branch on Steam for that game and force Steam to keep you on whatever older version of the game you desire (within limitations going back in time )

So it is something a developer could do...

Sadly I doubt Bethesda would have the vision to do this. I'm a cynic. Most devs don't bother. TOo much like work?

For now, I will live with console games for simple what not when I decide and be keeping a eye out for simple texture swaps. Pretty much the same as happened

with prior Fallout games.

Waiting for decent companion mods .... ah, I need a time machine.

• 2 weeks later...

In a Bethesda Game Studios post, I saw on Steam

Thanks and Updates for Fallout 4 | Bethesda.net

They confirm that updates will be released first as a Beta, then PC and last Console. that they would be releasing many smaller patches rather than a few big ones.

This should make it easier for modders and Bethesda to find the cause of bugs in each patch.

The system of limiting updates by setting the time for auto updates for when you are asleep and PC is off, is working.

Even when I verified the integrity of the cache to switch from manual to NMM, it only queued the required files. I had to set them going manually, just like I need to.

The Beta is a good warning that a new update is due, so unless you want to help find and fix any bugs for mods and/or the game.

Waiting until the PC release and checking none of your mods have outstanding problems, makes sense.

I'll know when I try the next update, if Falllout 4 works just like all other Steam Games. Alllowing me to manipulate Steam's automatic system, into being, in usage, manual. As described in the first post.

That's good enough for me to take control of my modded game, a basic requirement to mod well.

• 8 months later...

i would love some kind of mod that would compleaty stop fallout from downloading updates all together. when u are ready you can do it mainly or take the mod that stops the update out so it updates..

First, the only mods that a patch will "break" are those that require F4SE and sometimes those that modify the UI.

Secondly, there is an extremely simple way to make sure that you don't need to worry about when Bethesda releases a patch:

1. Find what version of Fallout 4 you are currently running.

2. Copy and paste a copy of Fallout4.exe and then rename the new copy to Fallout4-<version>.exe

3. Whenever Steam updates Fallout 4, simply rename the new Fallout4.exe and then change your older copy to Fallout4.exe.

4. When the F4SE team is able to release an update, download the new F4SE version and rename the new patched executable back to Fallout4.exe.

Edited by Reneer