Crippled Limb Healing - not the issue I expected

Pthalo

I've seen walls of people with the phrase "Help! My crippled limbs are stuck even when I use stimpaks!"

This is not my problem, rather, almost the inverse. I can't seem to find clear wording but the implication is that a crippled limb will stay that way until I apply a stimpak, correct? This seems a solid penalty for breaking your leg, sure. FO3 worked like that, so it was what I expected here.

My limbs will all de-cripple within 10-ish seconds and return to healing normally, much like in FO3 when I earned the limb regeneration perk (but that was after massive rad exposure). I do not have this perk. I've been playing for long enough to make it out of Fridge 111 and that's about it. I had no mods installed, this has been a thing since vanilla install. Changing game difficulty (I like survival) has had no impact on this. I just recover really darned fast.

Are limbs supposed to work like that? Is this a bug? I have never felt any penalty from crippled limbs as a result of how quickly they resolve, and I find it way too easy knowing I can literally walk it off when I break my entire body.

Edited by Pthalo

I've always been on top of crippled limbs so I haven't notice this, I may do some tests. It still is a valuable gameplay mechanic as if you are waiting until combat ends you are being put at a disadvantage. Crippled head and arms will wreck your aiming, crippled legs stop you from running and I think crippled abdomen increases the damage you take.

If you are playing on survival I can't stress this enough, use food to heal and use stimpacks to decripple and emergency heals at least for the first 10 levels or so until you get the medic perks. I am level 28 now and through rationing and crafting I still only have 80(seems like a lot but that's 40 hours of gameplay constantly eating food and picking up every item I see), I also have no medic perks yet. Keep an eye out for the Survival mags as they will improve the benefits of food. Off the top of my head, you can find one at the Sunshine Tidings co op settlement.

Edited by McC1oud

I do indeed prioritize food for healing - especially out of combat. Stimpaks are for in-combat emergencies or crippled limbs only. Very true, it is still a massive disadvantage during combat, where a 10-second delay can actually mean life of death. So far I've been able to take cover or temporarily flee combat long enough for it to wear off (I have no shame and flee regularly as a tactic), thus saving drastically on stimpaks for hp needs.

Yeah, my health behaves normally, it is only crippled limbs un-crippling themselves without stimpak assistance that I am experiencing. I am accustomed to FO3 so it is possible the mechanic has been changed.

Thanks for looking into this!

Edited by Pthalo

I do indeed prioritize food for healing - especially out of combat. Stimpaks are for in-combat or crippled limbs only. Very true, it is still a massive disadvantage during combat, where a 10-second delay can actually mean life of death. So far I've been able to take cover or temporarily flee combat long enough for it to wear off (I have no shame and flee regularly as a tactic), thus saving drastically on stimpaks for hp needs.

Yeah, my health behaves normally, it is only crippled limbs un-crippling themselves without stimpak assistance that I am experiencing. I am accustomed to FO3 so it is possible the mechanic has been changed.

Thanks for looking into this!

You are forgiven, all games these day promote "cover thumb-sucking regeneration" =D

Edited by McC1oud

I figure if Sun Tzu can write a book that includes knowing when to get the heck out, it can't just be for sissies. Heh. There is the distinct possibility I am in fact a bit of a weenie some days.

Actually, my reason for wanting to sort out this limb cripple system is for when the GECK gets released. I want to know if I need to fix things first, or if I can freely mod it to make crippled limbs harder to recover from. If I can't sleep off a basic arm sprain irl, I'm not letting my Sole Survivor nap away massive fractures and bullet holes.

Given consoles only lock me out for ten seconds when I fail at hacking, I'm beginning to think this soft-cripple function is working as intended. This game is angled for max fun and minimal player-hindrance.

(Unlucky me I get my gaming jollies by fighting uphill both ways in a radstorm XD)

Edited by Pthalo

I figure if Sun Tzu can write a book that includes knowing when to get the heck out, it can't just be for sissies. Heh. There is the distinct possibility I am in fact a bit of a weenie some days.

Quoting Lao Tzu here, just for the heck of it: "Nowadays men shun mercy, but try to be brave; They abandon economy, but try to be generous; They do not believe in humility, but always try to be first. This is certain death."

and "There is no greater catastrophe than underestimating the enemy. By underestimating the enemy, I almost lost what I value. Therefore when the battle is joined, The underdog will win."

Anyway, I just crippled myself by trowing some molotovs while "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" was on and yes, limbs do de-cripple themselves... Playing on Hard here.

If you're planning on making a mod that 'fixes' this, or otherwise makes the limb system more hardcore, I say go for it.

Edited by Revolvist