Bouncing Sigs

ThetaOrionis01

So, was the problem the content of the sig, the size of the sig, the animation of the sig or all? Judging by the nature of Theta's post I'd warrant a guess at the content, but then again references are being made to feeling sick while moderating the forums (is this brought on by the content or the animation?).

I didn't have a problem with the sigs in question as already stated, but Theta did. I told her to bring it up here and see what others thought - I'm getting mixed views.

My primary objection is to the animation - whether it features bouncing mammaries or testicles or yo-yos does not really make much of a difference.

I have tried ignoring the sigs, but frankly, it's impossible to ignore something which leaps up and down in your field of vision, especially when you feel obliged to read all new posts during your moderating duties. Doing a forum sweep should NOT leave you feeling sea-sick 

Perhaps some of you were lucky enough to miss out on seeing an entire page of bouncing images - I was not. And it did leave me feeling decidedly nauseous. The message I have been getting indicate that other members of the forum found the bouncing animation annoying too, and were glad to be rid of it.

Do I find the fact that they were mammaries irritating? Mildly - given the forum poster statistics the choice of bounce object isn't really surprising, though. Why did I choose to approach my complaint from that angle? Simple - to provoke a little bit of thought.

If I had felt very strongly that the bouncing mammary animation was a threat to my femininity or in some way degrading to the female gender I would have quoted the ToS clause on sexually oriented material. Which I didn't. See top paragraph.

Quoting the closing remark of my first post in this thread:

I think there should be some restrictions on animated sigs - the primary one being that they should not induce fits or nausea ....

Its not like you have to look at it,...think about it, you could easily make it so you dont see it...just dont scroll down all the way, when reading posts i normally dont even have the sig visible till i move down...just deal with it man...its not serious, she isnt naked, she is fully clothed...nothing is wrong with it....

EDIT: Some people like it, some people hate it...not everyone can win, so its easy for Theta to not look at it, and all others who object...and those who like it, can just sit there with large amounts of drool hanging off their chins... :bleh:

Faust -

I too was made a little seasick by the constantly bouncing.. ahm.. 'appendages'. While I could deal with it, there were some times when there would be two or three posts from you or Jouko on my screen at once. As they were the only things moving, I found it very difficult to focus on what should have been the most important part of the post - the content. If I had a problem with them, it was that the animations were so large that you couldn't help but notice them. I am male, and enjoy the female anatomy as much as the next guy, but that does not mean that everyone is of the same ilk.

We all need to look at ourselves and understand that each of us individually is not the most imprtant person in whatever group we decide to join. Most times, we find ourselves as the least important, and have to adjust accordingly. Finally, to quote Malcolm from Jurrasic Park "Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should." Think about what you do - not just in the short term, but what long-term or widespread effects it might have on others.

Can we just end this topic already i mean both Faust and myself have removed them from our sigs so the problem is over with.

But see, i want them back, since its like "my signature" i have it everywhere i go on the net, people look at it, and just know its something to do with me

The content, while appearing to be slightly sexist ..maybe (very...outgoing...girl bouncing all over the place)...doesn't have much to do with it IMO...I reckon it's too animated...aswell as too high etc, and yes I agree with Theta and Kethruch and others in that it is pretty damn distracting, and makes it mighty hard to stay concentrated on the actual content.

Dave

Archived