Companion idle stance and prop glitch, can't figure out how to fix

kacamac

So for some reason my Curie is glitched. It's kind of minor I guess but it's surprisingly more annoying than even the bugs that actually effect my gameplay. For some reason when Curie got her new body it came with an idle smoke animation. When just standing around with no weapon out she will hold up a cig and smoke occasionally, even in the first scene where her inventory is clearly empty. Worse is when she walks around the cig is just embedded into her arm (pic attached). It's a damn shame because I thought she had potential to be one of my favorite companions but this glitch is really distracting and annoying.

So I've tried using console commands to fix her. Disable, enable. ResetAi. Tai. Kill, resurrect. Recycleactor. Nothing is working. I've also just tried leaving her behind and coming back for her in another play session. Finally i've even tried reloading a save before she gets her new body but no matter how many times I've tried that she still ends up with this bugged cig in her arm. I've also tried giving her cigs in her inventory and then taking them away a few minutes later, nothing.

I've tried using placeatme to spawn a new Curie. I can actually do that and the fresh new Curie is actually fine, no cig anywhere to be seen, but of course the spawned Curie doesn't respond to talking and can't actually act as a companion. Unless there is a way to tag the newly spawned Curie to use companion Curie's AI? If there is a way to do that I don't know of it though.

Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could try to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i kinda have the same issue only with an other companion (X6-88) in a different idle pose. Did you ever find a solution to this issue ?

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/51/1450452668-377160-screenshots-2015-12-18-00001.jpg

Nope. It just randomly fixed itself as I quested with her. Specifically when I first met the railroad folks. Idk what happened but suddenly I noticed she took up an arms crossed behind her back kind of pose and from then on she was fine. No idea what triggered it, maybe being in a big scripted event like that did it.

Ok, so after a lot of diging, i found a solution.

Thanks to BronzeIVScrub on reddit, it is in fact real simple to fix.

BronzeIVScrub

1. Select the companion in console (or PRID <actor ID>)
  2. type either 'caf' or 'changeanimflavor' and hit enter

I hope it will help other with this nasty bug.

Regards

Edited by 5like

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

BronzeIVScrub

Regards

Yep, that worked, thank god lol.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

BronzeIVScrub

Regards

Worked for me.

Thanks!

If you ever have this problem without access to Console commands, you can fix it by taking the companion to an area with an invisible smoking idle marker.

You can take them to, say, the Goodneighbor entrance (where you meet Hancock) and just wait until they engage the invisible smoking idle marker.

They'll do the animation and finish it - tossing the cigarette away and going back to the default idle animation flavor.

It also works with any other invisible idle maker animation - such as the "arms crossed behind back" stance.

They choose to interact with those invisible idle markers the same way they choose to sit on furniture or use crafting stations - randomly. But sitting in a chair or using a crafting station won't affect their idle animation flavor.

So it is best to take them to a location with an invisible idle animation marker but no furniture (such as the Railroad entrance area). It's just that the entrance of Goodneighbor is easier to reach.

It's also possible for companions to get stuck in the "arms crossed behind back" stance, too. But more often than not, it's the smoking animation that they get stuck in for some reason.