Stutter....St-st-st-t-st-stutter never changes!

SooperWood

Hey guys,

So I installed ENBoost (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/332/?) and everything worked fine, got a nice solid frame rate most of the time, but there are still problems that ENBoost didn't fix and I can't figure out hw to fix it myself;

I just recently managed to make my color adjustment from the NVIDIA control panel persistent, even with fullscreen gaming (before it would always turn off when starting a fullscreen appllication).
How I did it:

Works only for screens connected via HDMI (also the only screens that have this problem)
1. Open the NVIDIA control panel
2. Go to 'change resolution' tab
3. Scroll down and look for 'dynamic range' next to 'output colour format' (should be set to RGB)
4. change 'dynamic range' to full

if that alone doesn't fix it go to the 'adjust desktop colour settings' tab and play around with the 'content type reported to display' option.
(For some 'auto-select' works fine, others have to change it to 'desktop applications' or 'fullscreen videos'.)

So I changed Fallout 4 from borderless to fullscreen, disabled all vsync ingame/in enblocal and forced VSync via NVIDIA control panel (tripple buffer=off, prerendered frames=1).

This made my game much smoother so dips down to 50 fps wouldn't cause stutter like they did in borderless (even after I installed ENBoost).

But then again this left me with the known bug that in fullscreen mode you get terrible microstutters (not hardware related->persistent at 60fps) when strafing/circling.

The two fixes for this, that I found were turning to borderless (want to avoid that) which gives me an overall more 'stuttery' experience or to add the line 'iFPSClamp=60' under [General] in the fallout4.ini but a lot of people report fps bugs with that (being stuck at terminal, slowdown etc.).

So atm I'm not able to find a proper workaround using;

-RivaTuner -> capping the frames at 60 for windowed borderless -> not so smooth feeling,
-ENBoost using fpscap and or forcevsync in enblocal.ini -> same results as with RivaTuner/ingame VSync (slightly better fps than with ingame VSync),
-NVIDIA VSync (tripple buffer off, prerendered frames=1),
-ingame VSync (ipresentInterval), borderless windowed/fullscreeen mode

All got major advantages and disadvantages.

So, is somebody here able to run this game full screen without micro stutters?

Edited by SooperWood

I did framelimiting through nvidia inspector for borderless and it had absolutely no effect. Looking at my current setup - I'm limiting to 58fps and zero stutter. I tested 59fps just now and it was ever so slightly visible. I don't know if I should chalk it up to my gpu, the game, my drivers, my old monitor (says 60hz) but even 10 years ago there was limiting to 58/59. This of course doesn't enable vsync so there is some tearing. Maybe tinkering with an extra frame in prerender will help.

My vsync with triple buffering on is horrible. Triple off is not as bad, but still stutters. =\

I did framelimiting through nvidia inspector for borderless and it had absolutely no effect. Looking at my current setup - I'm limiting to 58fps and zero stutter. I tested 59fps just now and it was ever so slightly visible. I don't know if I should chalk it up to my gpu, the game, my drivers, my old monitor (says 60hz) but even 10 years ago there was limiting to 58/59. This of course doesn't enable vsync so there is some tearing. Maybe tinkering with an extra frame in prerender will help.

Ok, didn't know about limiting to 58/59, I will try that. I will try to limit the frames with RivaTuner and will try out how the ENBoost forced VSync and the ingame VSync effect the performance/stutter

And somehow even with all VSyncs off I don't experience any tearing, in fact since I got my new 1080p (60Hz) monitor I never had tearing issues (unlike with my old 1600x900 59Hz monitor <- was a pain in the ass to avoid tearing for that one).

I will post my results here.

RESULTS

1. in-game VSync off, borderless, limited frames per second (55,56,...63,64) (via RivaTuner):

- VSync off-> definetely more frames

- not much difference between limits, best results still with 60 (horrible stutter with 59 somehow)

- below 55 it just gets unsmooth due to the lack of vsync

- above 60 starts to feel strange (not sure if subjective) and still stutters

2.NVIDIA VSync on (only applies in fullscreen), in-game VSync off, fullscreen, limited frames per second (59/58) (via RivaTuner):

- NVIDIA VSync doesn't effect frame rate as much as in-game VSync so same frame rate as above

- smoothed out fps drops and drastically reduced micro stutter for strafing (more stuttering with cap set to 59)

- BUT visible tearing :'( (more tearing with cap set to 59 less so with 69)

-> best results so far when it comes to smoothness (smoothest 50 fps I've ever seen in Diamond City) but the tearing is quite noticeable, and gets more annoying over time (unffortunately :sad: )

-> capped to 57 gets same results as 59 anything lower than that introduces an overall stuttering.

I will have to try out more but wil definetly stick to the NVIDIA VSync as it makes the fps drops so much less noticeable (aiming down sights and looking around at 50 fps feels like 60fps).

If anyone has more suggestions feel free to post and I will try it out ASAP.

Edited by SooperWood

iPresentInterval=0

You are using this correct?

If you do not read only the file - if you mess with the settings in launcher it will revert that to 1.

(Unless you changed it in the steamapps\fo4 directory as well but I haven't verified if that works)

iPresentInterval=0

That's what I meant when saying 'in-game VSync'

You are using this correct?

If you do not read only the file - if you mess with the settings in launcher it will revert that to 1.

(Unless you changed it in the steamapps\fo4 directory as well but I haven't verified if that works)

I used the 'Fallout4ConfigTool to edit the .ini;

- doesn't have much options but always sets the .inis back to read-only

- has a 'Play Game' button so it's perfect for tsts like this where I switch between borderless/fulsscreen Vsync lock on/off

Edited by SooperWood

Ah ok, I don't use any of that. I prefer the rawness of hand editing... :D

And this discussion caused me to google my monitor/etc - finding out it is totally capable/sold with the funcitonality of 75hz capability.

Time to bump that up a bit and tinker some more.

Edited by zaty1

And this discussion caused me to google my monitor/etc - finding out it is totally capable/sold with the funcitonality of 75hz capability.

Time to bump that up a bit and tinker some more.

"TINKER,TINKER,TINKER.... Strong bored!"

So, the no vsync - 75hz with framelimit at 73/74 felt better - it had a different issue with it - and instead of 1 tear - multiples. Yuk.

So I returned to 60hz to mess around some more.

Using enblocal.ini - framelimit to 60. Vsync through nvidia - zero stutter/lag while strafing, and no tearing. Testing on 59 or 61 both gave issue. Prerender 1 - no ingame vsync.

I also tried vsync in enblocal and framelimiter through nvidia - no good even with matching settings... /boggle.

Might just be specific to my machine but I am super happy now that I can play without tearing, AND, not suffer strafe stuttering as I scavenge -.-

So, the no vsync - 75hz with framelimit at 73/74 felt better - it had a different issue with it - and instead of 1 tear - multiples. Yuk.

So I returned to 60hz to mess around some more.

Using enblocal.ini - framelimit to 60. Vsync through nvidia - zero stutter/lag while strafing, and no tearing. Testing on 59 or 61 both gave issue. Prerender 1 - no ingame vsync.

I also tried vsync in enblocal and framelimiter through nvidia - no good even with matching settings... /boggle.

Might just be specific to my machine but I am super happy now that I can play without tearing, AND, not suffer strafe stuttering as I scavenge -.-

Playin on fullscreen or borderless windowed?

Defintly will try your setup.