PSA: Latest Beta Update 1.2.33 Patch Disables Mods. Will disable them in Nexus Mod Manager also.

lunamoonraker

Latest PC beta patch 1.2.33 via Steam (Beta opt-in) appears to have somehow have disabled all addons/ mods when the game is launched and will give the message about missing content when selecting a previous save.

Launch directly from Fallout4.exe (not wise long term but OK for now). You need to swap the names of Fallout4.exe and Fallout4Launcher.exe and then it will launch directly to the game and not disable mods. But remember to swap back before the next update.

Or if you use NMM start the Launcher then re-enable the plugins in NMM (Plugins window not Mods) then click Play will enable them again. But this needs to be repeated.

Nothing appears changed in my .ini files but perhaps they deliberately disabled how it was working or just something broke/ changed.

The hidden Data window revealed by clicking a small part of the Launcher window seems disabled now also.

This isn't unusual but it is good to inform people especially those new to modding.

In the past many mods in former games would be disabled or would not work after updates. At times authors would have to come along and update them several times until all the updates were finished on Beth's end. Sometimes mods get updated for use with Official DLC.

Things also change some after the GECK (or whatever they plan to call it) come out. Sometimes things are more stable/easier to update, or do not need updated.

Also many of these pre-GECK mods are made with Tes5Snip, FOSnip which are known (from extensive past use/study from Skyrim) COULD create broken plugins and COULD corrupt or COULD completely break saves to a point that they are not usable after a period of time, after updates, after the GECK is released. Anyone using mods made like this COULD very likely need to be ok with stating the game from scratch without using these particular mods unless they are remade with the GECK or Fallout 4 Edit once it is created fully functioning.

Please know I am not bashing any mods made this way. There is not a lot of choice at the moment (though I think some folks have gotten FalloutEdit or a version of TesEdit to work I am not sure which version-which may or may not be better.) I have played with some like this but I am ok starting over again. I play from the beginning of Beth games a thousand times lol. However some folks get a bit grabby when this happens so it is best to be informed that this MAY happen.

edit: The reason I say MAY is it does not always happen and I don't know how much Snip has changed or improved over the years. Best to be warned. And honestly it is to beware when using any mod at all. There is no such thing as a perfectly "safe" save when modding and you always have to realize that a heavily modded game is taking your character's life in your hands. lol

This isn't unusual but it is good to inform people especially those new to modding.

In the past many mods in former games would be disabled or would not work after updates. At times authors would have to come along and update them several times until all the updates were finished on Beth's end. Sometimes mods get updated for use with Official DLC.

Things also change some after the GECK (or whatever they plan to call it) come out. Sometimes things are more stable/easier to update, or do not need updated.

Also many of these pre-GECK mods are made with Tes5Snip, FOSnip which are known (from extensive past use/study from Skyrim) COULD create broken plugins and COULD corrupt or COULD completely break saves to a point that they are not usable after a period of time, after updates, after the GECK is released. Anyone using mods made like this COULD very likely need to be ok with stating the game from scratch without using these particular mods unless they are remade with the GECK or Fallout 4 Edit once it is created fully functioning.

Please know I am not bashing any mods made this way. There is not a lot of choice at the moment (though I think some folks have gotten FalloutEdit or a version of TesEdit to work I am not sure which version-which may or may not be better.) I have played with some like this but I am ok starting over again. I play from the beginning of Beth games a thousand times lol. However some folks get a bit grabby when this happens so it is best to be informed that this MAY happen.

edit: The reason I say MAY is it does not always happen and I don't know how much Snip has changed or improved over the years. Best to be warned. And honestly it is to beware when using any mod at all. There is no such thing as a perfectly "safe" save when modding and you always have to realize that a heavily modded game is taking your character's life in your hands. lol

It's true that this is fairly common for a lot of games that support mods. The difference is that say in WoW it tells you that mods have been disabled and requires a postive action by the player to re-enable them, rather than just disable them.

There are very good reason for the developer to do this but some headsup doesn't cost anything (even a small note in patch notes)

I always start after an update by disabling all addons to check basic game stability then re-enable one at a time to check.

On the new mods, to be fair most modders are aware of this and noting their use of those tools so players can make the choice.

We do now have FO4Edit (at least in test build seems to work v well) for modders to play with which is good news.

It's true that this is fairly common for a lot of games that support mods. The difference is that say in WoW it tells you that mods have been disabled and requires a postive action by the player to re-enable them, rather than just disable them.

There are very good reason for the developer to do this but some headsup doesn't cost anything (even a small note in patch notes)

I always start after an update by disabling all addons to check basic game stability then re-enable one at a time to check.

On the new mods, to be fair most modders are aware of this and noting their use of those tools so players can make the choice.

We do now have FO4Edit (at least in test build seems to work v well) for modders to play with which is good news.

As Beth has not yet released the mod enabler (as it is hidden at this time and was found by a modder) it can not be expected at all at this time for Beth to disable anything, since they did not yet give modders a way to enable it. And it has always been mod at your own risk.

Even after they do enable things..there are so many ways to install and run mods I doubt they could do this if they wanted to do so. There is the Beth data list/Steam subscribe, NMM, MOD Organizer, Fallout Mod managers of many sorts, I am sure there will be some version of Wrye and so on and so forth. (Nor would we want them to with the load order issues, patcher issues and wrye bash issues, wow that would be a mess lol)

Basically these are things that people need to learn about modding. I am not saying that more can not be done to get the word around about this but so many folks want to have some easy way to do modding. As the tools are released things will become even more complex and require more knowledge of how mods are installed, how they impact your game, change things in your game and so on...that now would be a great time for folks to start reading up about how it all works. If anyone has old games it would be a great time to go learn and mod them as some things will stay similar. I am sure games will be on sale at Christmas so Skyrim and the previous Fallout games can be gotten cheaply and learning can begin!! There are great websites and videos to learn how to do this and more.

Modding a game is not for the faint of heart. It requires patience, a willingness to learn and not be hand-held, and a bit of good humor as there will be times that things go absolutely fabulously, spectacularly wrong. Of course that is usually when you learn the most...particularly new swear words. :smile:

Always make backups, always make multiple saves and save before adding anything, test after adding one mod at a time and always, ALWAYS read the documentation that comes along with the mods. Do that and chances are you have much more fun than not. :smile:

Good news, everyone! There's an easy way to fix this; OPT OUT OF THE BETA TEST.

Seriously; while I was in the beta version on Steam, I had the NMM open to the side, and every time I started the game, I saw all the plugins disable before my eyes.

Once I opted out of the beta program, everything worked just fine.

Honestly, the beta update is a real help to those who have poor cpu clock speeds. The beta update increases frame rate while traveling in cities DRASTICALLY.

For me- I gain nearly 20 fps in the commonwealth and microstutters when loading up other buildings while moving are no longer a problem. I cannot simply sacrifice this. Yet I still want to use mods. Even a few weeks after release modders have produced pretty remarkable mods. Its ridiculous for Bethesda to make it difficult to enable mods on a patch that has such a significant change.

TL;DR: Beta update is a must, as it increases stability in cities. We can't sacrifice mods for that.

Edited by strategicmaniac