Tutorial for building NMM installer scripts.

ShinraStrife

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really well written and I like the way you teach this. The bit of advice about typing rather than copypaste. When I saw you lay out the <installsteps> and group first, and then go on to fill it in, I was also delighted. I had found another guide from the FNV and Skyrim days that I used to first learn this stuff a couple of days ago, but I am gonna be going back through this again to cement and broaden my understanding.

My only suggestion so far would be to eventually provide a .pdf or other reader-formatted file of this, for more local-friendly viewing alongside an editor. Not that it's difficult to do this for yourself if yer gonna be going so far as to build an XML, but an author-supplied version would be nice.

All in all, thanks very much for taking the time to lay this out for everyone! Something like this should be stickied, or at least added to a stickied compilation.

This is really well written and I like the way you teach this. The bit of advice about typing rather than copypaste. When I saw you lay out the <installsteps> and group first, and then go on to fill it in, I was also delighted. I had found another guide from the FNV and Skyrim days that I used to first learn this stuff a couple of days ago, but I am gonna be going back through this again to cement and broaden my understanding.

My only suggestion so far would be to eventually provide a .pdf or other reader-formatted file of this, for more local-friendly viewing alongside an editor. Not that it's difficult to do this for yourself if yer gonna be going so far as to build an XML, but an author-supplied version would be nice.

All in all, thanks very much for taking the time to lay this out for everyone! Something like this should be stickied, or at least added to a stickied compilation.

Thanks. :D I'll make a PDF eventually.

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm still trying to fumble my way through the XML, so this has been quite helpful.

May I ask why you leave the destination="" empty? I've always mirrored the esp name in my installers.

Edit: Never mind, managed to miss the paragraph where you wrote about exactly that. I need coffee.

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm still trying to fumble my way through the XML, so this has been quite helpful.

May I ask why you leave the destination="" empty? I've always mirrored the esp name in my installers.

Edit: Never mind, managed to miss the paragraph where you wrote about exactly that. I need coffee.

Thanks for the feedback :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does your mod have anything else? Or just a save file?

You could always make an installer for the esp files and make a required option at the last page with an empty source folder that warns users they must copy a file to their save folder manually. I think I saw a few mod makers doing that for Skyrim.

Edited by ShinraStrife