Scrap Mod request (scrapping from workshop)

Taylib

Taylib, what you've heard is simply wrong. it doesn't work like that. Manually scrapping stuff results in the exact same result as automatically scrapping it. Thus - making a mod that automatically does the thing that the game already does automatically is .... a very silly thing to ask for all things considered :smile:

-Stigma

Its not silly at all. For instance, If I want to go out and build up a new base I know exactly what materials I need to do it. I should not have to dig though a list of 500 items to find, and then lug 20 desk fans, 100 ceramic coffee mugs, 20 biometric scanners, and 20 camera's to get copper ceramic gears electronics ect ect I need. If the workbench automatically broke down items for me. I could simply grab what I need in the exact quantity I need. This is what computers are for. To rid ourselves of menial needless tasks.

Edited by RangerHawk

Taylib, what you've heard is simply wrong. it doesn't work like that. Manually scrapping stuff results in the exact same result as automatically scrapping it. Thus - making a mod that automatically does the thing that the game already does automatically is .... a very silly thing to ask for all things considered :smile:

-Stigma

Its not silly at all. For instance, If I want to go out and build up a new base I know exactly what materials I need to do it. I should not have to dig though a list of 500 items to find, and then lug 20 desk fans, 100 ceramic coffee mugs, 20 biometric scanners, and 20 camera's to get copper ceramic gears electronics ect ect I need. If the workbench automatically broke down items for me. I could simply grab what I need in the exact quantity I need. This is what computers are for. To rid ourselves of menial needless tasks.

That wasn't what the OP asked for thought - and not what I replied to. OP wanted the automatic scrapping to be as efficient as manual scrapping. It already is - so specifically modding that would be pointess.

What you are describing is bulk scrapping - and sure, it would be nice to have as an option somewhere to scrap stuff until you have XXX steel or whatever. The scenario you describe is maybe a little bit niche - you probably want to set up a supply line before you start a lot of building - but if you don't get local leader AND still want to build settlements then I see that something like that could be useful to have.

It's not based of the same need as OP was initially describing though. I'm not saying that modding the settlement tools for more options isn't needed. There is a LOT of room for improvement. I primarily wanted to correct a misconception. The primary point of complaint that the OP had is simply wrong, and a common misunderstanding that should be corrected so it doesn't spread.

-Stigma

That wasn't what the OP asked for thought - and not what I replied to. OP wanted the automatic scrapping to be as efficient as manual scrapping. It already is - so specifically modding that would be pointess.

What you are describing is bulk scrapping - and sure, it would be nice to have as an option somewhere to scrap stuff until you have XXX steel or whatever. The scenario you describe is maybe a little bit niche - you probably want to set up a supply line before you start a lot of building - but if you don't get local leader AND still want to build settlements then I see that something like that could be useful to have.

It's not based of the same need as OP was initially describing though. I'm not saying that modding the settlement tools for more options isn't needed. There is a LOT of room for improvement. I primarily wanted to correct a misconception. The primary point of complaint that the OP had is simply wrong, and a common misunderstanding that should be corrected so it doesn't spread.

-Stigma

Maybe it's not what the OP was specifically referring to, however I'd hardly call this idea niche. I found one mod that does part of this already (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2451/) If you install the junk crafting option you can make steel, copper, and gold bars from what you have in storage. All the mod author would have to do is add the other raw materials.

I'd even go a step further with this line of thought. I'd like to be able to use supply lines to send specific raw materials to specific settlements. This is exactly what are supply lines are used for in the real world.

Sorry if that is a bit off topic, but I think it would add to the game's settlement, and crafting system at the same time.

Edited by RangerHawk

I'd even go a step further with this line of thought. I'd like to be able to use supply lines to send specific raw materials to specific settlements. This is exactly what are supply lines are used for in the real world.

I acknowledge the need for the function in the scenario you describe. It's just different than what I originally replied to.

Personally I think that workbenches should just be 100% shared inventories when a supply line is set up. Currently it just shares resources and "derived resources" from junk.

Notably, not items - guns, armor, aid ect.

Outside of some kind of hardcore realsim mod I don't see why you shouldn't have your personal stash availiable from all your settlements.

Running back to Sanctuary just to save some item for longterm storage or to mod a weapon makes little sense. Doubly so for those of us that don't fasttravel - and manually relocating everything to settlements closer to the areas you are currently exploring would be incredibly tedious. Just make all workshops with supply-routes attached share all items I say...

The local leader perk is also a bit weird. You absolutely NEED at least rank 1 (and thus 6 charisma, which not all builds have) to really build anything. Otherwise you need to do dozens of manual hauling runs to the point of extreme tedium for each settlement. Local leader should be some sort of bonus or convenience for making better settlements - not basically a requirement to access such a huge part of the game. Just my 2 cent.

-Stigma

I was not criticizing bro. Just commenting. As for linking all crafting storage inventories. That would break the immersion factor for me. I still want it to be a game that requires thought and planning. I don't want a system that destroys realism, just one that removes tedium. Maybe just link the storage inventories of settlements with supply lines between them. I could live with that. However I still think using supply lines to ferry materials around would be cool. It would fit the narrative of the game, simplify base building, and not dumb the game down.

Edited by RangerHawk