New Progression System, Skills Returning and New Perks

Ocolith

So, I had this thought in my head, that I think I could reasonably create once the GECK comes out for FO4. I fully admit, I have not created a mod before, but I have been modding Bethesda games and altering existing mods for my own use since Oblivion came out. I also fully intend to at least attempt to create it, as I'm NOT a fan of the current progression system, so this isn't some "pie in the sky"/"Wishful thinking" kind of goal. Whether it actually succeeds is up in the air, but any advice or help that people could provide would be appreciated. So, here's the base concept of the mod I have in mind:

I want to remove a bunch of perks, convert them into Skills, and add new perks in their place. Every time you level you add ranks to your Skills, like from FO3 and F:NV. Also I want to tie some of the crafting perks (Which would become skills) to a simple repair system for all items, using the Power Armor model (Use junk to repair to full health) as the base.

Given how FO4 is currently built, I don't feel this would be too difficult to implement, as I'm essentially creating new perks, hiding and altering the old ones behind the scenes, and incorporating the power armor repairs into other things such as guns, armor, etc. In regards to what the skills would be, and what they'd remove, here's a preliminary list I came up with:

Unarmed (Iron Fist)

Melee (Big Leagues)

Riflery (Rifleman)

Automatics (Commando)

Pistols (Gunslinger)

Explosives (Demolition Expert)

Heavy Guns (Heavy Gunner)

Armorer

Guncraft (Gun Nut)

Blacksmith

Science

Hacking (Hacker)

Lockpicking (Locksmith)

Pickpocket

Sneak

Medicine (Medic & Chemist)

Barter (Cap Collector)

If you'd like to know more specifics, I made two Google docs. One's just general ideas and questions I need to answer, and the other is specifics regarding skills and the perk lines I'm replacing.

Summary: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eQ4laNKWakQaDP_P0TaAEhv-kEWf5CNCXk1QNnI3E04/edit?usp=sharing

Skills: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Le6-alBvWHcMeSEyKNnWFuJxWwcsqbZztbijuwFshK8/edit?usp=sharing

When I finish it, or get close, it's definitely in an alpha state, and I plan to work on it after release. I would love to balance it, incorporate the books to be like skill books from previous games, make a new repair system, make a skill for base management/crafting, and other ideas that might be difficult to include at my current skill.

I currently don't have any plans or ideas about what to put in place of the perk lines I'm removing, as I want to finalize the skills first before I think about what to replace their perks with. If you have any help, game design wise or programming wise, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I fully admit, I have not created a mod before, but I have been modding Bethesda games and altering existing mods for my own use since Oblivion came out.

Your biggest obstacle would probably be getting used to the new scripting system added since Skyrim. (Papyrus)

Papyrus is easy to learn though so you'll be making mods in no time :D

Link to Papyrus documentation.

Edited by ShinraStrife

So, if everything goes well, I would like to implement 18 skills total. I'm currently working on how that would be balanced, and putting the repair system to the side to be worked on later. Right now, I'm thinking that every even level you advance skills, with every odd level you get a perk. Therefore when you leave the Vault and get to level 2 you can start putting points into skills after getting a feel for what kind of character you want to make. This is purely fluff, but I was hoping I could get some input regarding the skill descriptions I wrote. They're meant to be a little cheeky, and not super informative (If your modding, I assume you know how the internal systems work). Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kqFKGJk4BHfiSQtkldY_LuhGViyno2SoCxo4RHJya4c/edit?usp=sharing

I also updated my previous 2 google docs, if you want to check those out. I also allowed comments on those, so you can specifically highlight stuff and say yay/nay to stuff. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Maybe change leaderships perk to say settlements instead of bases. I only have 3 bases that are mainly just for fire support and the rest are full fledged towns with bars shops and everything else. Other than that the descriptions are pretty good.