[FO4] Best Ending *Hidden ending*

Sybsidian

Just a heads up - you can get banished from the Institute without killing anyone. When Shaun tasks you with taking Bunker Hill, warn the Railroad or BoS (I warned the Railroad and the BoS showed up anyways, spies confirmed). Don't do anything to make anyone hostile against you (there will be areas where synths try to kill you, and you can kill them). When you go back to Shaun on the roof of the CIT, he will say that Bunker Hill went terribly for them, and ask you why. You can tell him the truth. He'll have some words that I imagine would hurt Nate/Nora to the core, and then he teleports out of there, and you're banished.

I played Bunker Hill and warned the Railroad only yet the Railroad owned turrets in the basement opened fire on me.

I'd have to replay it. But I do remember things getting hairy in the tunnels. Also if you don't save the synth fugitives I believe the RR turns hostile. Saving them provides you with an interesting conversation with Shaun, and perhaps one of the most emotional ways to get banished from the Institute. Nothing like realizing your kid turned into a monster that can't be reasoned with.

I was very careful to not shoot any of the faction members (synths, Railroad, BOS) in the basement and I went straight to the room and issued the recall codes to the Synth fugitives. The Railroad were not hostile to me after this and I continued with Underground Undercover as normal. The only really odd thing that happened was that the Courser stood outside the side entrance to Bunker Hill for a long time until I destroyed the Institute and I couldn't interact with him.

Actually, shooting the synths is the easiest way to keep your good reputation with all three factions... as long as there are NO witnesses. Well, other than the BOS, I guess, although that will conflict with the courser part below.

The asshat solution (reminds me, I keep planning to put a brim on the CBBE butt;)) is to take the mission from all three factions. Everyone will be friendly to you in that fight, so it's easy for YOU to get to the basement. Which you should do ASAP, so the courser doesn't get shot inna face by the other gangs. They're hostile to HIM. Keep the courser alive until you cleared the tunnels, then shoot the synths in the face. At that point, the courser turns hostile, so shoot him in the face too.

At that point, you're the only survivor to get out of the tunnels, so nobody has the foggiest idea WTH happened down there. (A nice touch from Beth for a change.) They have only your word for it. So everyone believes that you were on their side and you can still choose which faction to go with. Mind you, you'll still have to make a choice almost immediately, but still... you get to shoot the synths AND be the hero of the RR, and/or shoot their synths AND their courser and still be the hero of the Institute, and/or murderize a bunch of BOS knights and be their hero too. It's like an achievement in being sneaky (and an asshat) in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to understand as to why nuking institute is the only option outside of joining them. Yes yes, BoS and all that, but honestly if I had an option to capture institute rather than destroy it would be better.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my playthrough, i always go with the Minutemen and always managed to achieve the best ending, and keep Danse as a companion.

It's quite complicated, but I'll try to explain it with the best of my ability.

-Play the main quest until the finale of Act 2, which is the quest The Molecular Level. You can build the Teleporter with any faction you want

-You can also do any faction side quest normally as your hearts desired. Any important factions choices won't appeared before the Act 3.

-After you meet Father in the Institute, make sure to not offend him or reject his invitation.

-Complete any BoS quests up to Blind Betrayal, make sure to not turn in the quest until Spoils of Wars starts.

-Complete any Railroad quests up to Underground Undercover. Make sure to not advanced the quest after they asked you to "continue working with Father"

-Help the Institute up to Mass Fusion. Maker sure to not piss Father before it.

-Report the Institute to the Brotherhood, doing so will fail Mass Fusion and Underground Undercover and started Spoils of Wars and Burning Cover.

-Finish Blind Betrayal, make sure to finish any business with Cpt. Kells beforehand. From this onward, avoid Kells.

-Complete Spoils of Wars and Burning Cover. Doing so will start BoS and Minutemen endgame portion of the main quest.

-Ignore the BoS from here and out, make sure to not make them hostile.

-Assuming you had help the Minutemen up until this point, the quest "Forms Ranks" will start. Complete it and it will start "Defend the Castle"

-After Defending the Castle from waves of Synths, the Nuclear Option will start.

-Make sure to initiate the evacuation during attacking the Institute, doing so will ensure the Railroad stay friendly with you.

And after committing genocide on the Institute and killing your son, the End slide will start and you have official finish the main quest of Fallout 4 with three main factions alive, and all of your companions (except X6-88) alive but f*#@ that guy anyway.

Just a heads up - you can get banished from the Institute without killing anyone. When Shaun tasks you with taking Bunker Hill, warn the Railroad or BoS (I warned the Railroad and the BoS showed up anyways, spies confirmed). Don't do anything to make anyone hostile against you (there will be areas where synths try to kill you, and you can kill them). When you go back to Shaun on the roof of the CIT, he will say that Bunker Hill went terribly for them, and ask you why. You can tell him the truth. He'll have some words that I imagine would hurt Nate/Nora to the core, and then he teleports out of there, and you're banished.

only problem I encountered while getting kicked out in this way, is that bunker hill bugged out on me, and all of the npc's stay huddled on the ground indefinitely. for some people people that may not be an issue but I love having my bunker hill built up and use it for my main trading hub. just thought I'd let anyone know, because this seemed like the ideal way for me to get myself booted from the institute until I realized this bug.

• 2 weeks later...

I did this on one playthrough but i have a hard time classifying this as a "best" ending. Like the OP said, it's in the eye of the beholder, but this ending is a huge powder keg with a lit fuse. Offcourse the game ends when you destroy the institute and it is all speculation from there on.

BoS will not stop hunting Synths and the railroad, this will eventually lead to the BoS coming in to one of your settlements to root out any "hidden" synth settlers and ignite a conflict with the Minutemen. I do not think they will stand by while BoS executes any synths, and how do they know who is a synth, they did not recognize Danse as a synth and with the institute gone there are no records left.

The railroad has no reason to continue existing with the institute gone, synths are safe from re-capture and reconditioning, no need to wipe them, they are free to make their own choices and just like ghouls will have to find their place in the commonwealth, accepted by some and unaccpted by others.

Having all three factions alive is anything but a "best ending" for the commonwealth, fun to do, yes, but good?

OR be in charge of the Institute and use their science and technology for the good of the Commonwealth, rather than continue hiding underground.

There is actually cut audio for a directorate meeting where you get the choice to either plunder the Commonwealth, or, as the Soul Survivor puts it, "reopen CIT" to give back to the Commonwealth.

Unfortunately I have no idea how far this really got, and it doesn't seem to take into account banishing Ayo or sending Li to the BoS, as they have lines but Alana and Evan do not appear to have any. None of the coding seems to have been in place other, leaving CIT stuck as a giant supermutant mess.