About the guy asking me "Seeing what"

Umm im talking about "The war game"

You didnt read everyones post didnt you .. Oh well xD

Edited by BloXboX

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to see what it would be like, go to pripriyat. People have been living there since long before the reactor went down, and the side effects on everything is pritty rough. Not to mention the city was more or less "just built" right before it happened. Was about the most modern city in all of Europe at the time, and then suddenly abandoned in short order after the reactor failed, so just think of this vast intact city overgrown by wild life and having less than a few hundred people spread out through it.

As for what I would do, I would die, im next to one of the largest military bases in the US. So it would be one of the key targets. Likely the fallout would kill most of us. Now if were out in a area with no key targets to hit would have a better chance of surviving. First thing is to gather canned items and store water. You can use a bath tub and sinks to fill up with water before utilities go down. This should give you a month of drinking water for four people. You will need canned items as they hold for years, but you can eat the packaged goods immediately to keep from cutting into your reserve. Also anything wrapped in aluminum and freeze dried should be good for a few years as well. Of course you will need weapons for self defence and hunting. Prefered a series of crossbows and bows as they do not alert anyone in ear shot as to your presence. However you will need a scattergun or PDW for emergency use at your storage/housing site. Now its a little known fact that there are armorys in most cities. Not just police and SWAT gear, but military armories, you wont find any LAVs or M1A1s, but you can find a small selection of weapons and ammo there as the national guard keeps these locations spread out in the event of civil emergency.

You will need to leave any major urban or suburban development area. Not because of chance of raiding. Those can be fairly easy to defend, but from disease. Bodies of the dead are not likely to be removed with any breakdown in civil order. and thus they will become a breeding ground for all kinds of nasties that will put you off your feet and out the window in no time. Also its best not to use generators at your camp site, as they are hard to conceal without starting a fire and the noise will attract attention. Its best to setup any such equipment in a remote location several miles from any known habitat, especialy your own, and make daily, or weekly trips to it to recharge car batteries, taking them back to your camp site for use. Also you should not use exterior lights or large fires as they will be noticable for miles around when the main power systems go offline. The key is not to attract attention, again, also you will want a separate location several miles out to skin and clean anything you hunt, as the blood will attract predators for miles around. Same with the latrine you will want it a bit away from your campsite as well and sealed in such a manner as not to give off sent. Preferably in a building or cave and under ground. You can use a bucket at your camp and carry it out, but its risky as the scent will be exposed until properly disposed of.

On a related note, anyone interested in seeing what the real thing might look like would do well to check out the BBC docudrama made in the 60's called 'The War Game'. Far, far better than 'The Day After' or any other film I've seen on the subject. Netflix has it. I watched it once and it was so realistic and chilling that I'm not sure I could watch it again. I mean, people getting caught outside in the blast, little kids getting blinded by the flash, radiation sickness. It is pretty stern and sobering stuff. Consider yourself warned. :nuke:

Actually, the docudrama you want to watch is the BBC one called "Threads".

It's the bleakest film ever made.

Yes, I thought Threads was generally good, and it had the advantage of a bigger budget and the fact that it was done about 15 years after 'The War Game'. I dunno though, for some reason I found 'The War Game' a little more memorable and unnerving than 'Threads'. Maybe the B&W made it seem more realistic.

BTW, I remember the Showtime (or HBO?) movie about Hiroshima being pretty good as well, though I can't seem to remember many of the details in that film. Probably need to see it again.

Also, Canadian military historian Gwynne Dyer devoted an entire episode to nuclear war in his fantastic 'War' series. It was absolutely stunning! Thinking in terms of Fallout, I recall a medical doctor being interviewed in the episode commenting on how problematic practicing medicine would be in the post-apocalyptic environment.

Edited by ProgsterJohn

I've seen both of those video's before. Both really leave you a sense of uneasyness. The 1965 movie really shocks you more though, I think its the black and white movie, that helps. The bottom line is if something along these lines were to ever take place. I would put my suntan lotion on, and bask in the unfathomable. Edited by DoobieBro

Grew up in the cold war, twelve minutes to oblivion and Bertie the Turtle singing 'Duck and Cover'

I wonder if that's why I now live in the mountains with my guns an ma' dawgs . . .

Seriously look up prepping. If you can survive undamaged through the first minutes of any kind of disaster you vastly improve your chances of making it through the first hours. If you can make the first hours then the first days and so on.

Very good thread all. Yeah, I live about 25 miles from MacDill AFB (Tampa Bay), so I don't hold out much hope for surviving the initial attack.

Funny how it seems like we keep going through nuclear annihilation scares about every other decade or so. Of course the worst seemed to be in the 50's and 60's when the Cold War reached its zenith. Then it subsided for a while with President Carter's 'Detente' in the 70's, and resumed in the 80's with President Reagan's 'Evil Empire' speech. As an aside, from an amateur musicologist perspective, I think all the dark music in the 80's (like Punk and the dark electronica) was a result of the renewed Cold War. Anyway, the nuke scares ended with the collapse of Communism in Russia and Eastern Europe, but just when we started thinking we were now safe from nuclear war for good, along comes a resurgent China and radical fundamentalist Islam. Sighs. Oh well, as Plato once said (and for that matter Fallout narrator Ron Pearlman), "Only the dead know the end of war."

Yes, I agree about Threads. It was a VERY dark movie.

Concerning 'The War Game', that scene where the Brit Civil Defense woman got caught outside by the blast will forever be etched in my brain. BTW, I thought I'd read somewhere that a nuke explosion is like a giant flash bulb going off, and the War Game seemed to substantiate this.

One more thing. I'm currently playing a heavily modded Fallout3, and I have to say that the Wanderer's Edition mod taken along with the Enhanced Weather mod with radioactive rain gives an excellent simulation of what it might be like living in a post-apocalyptic environment. As PC Gamer noted, the Wanderer's Edition is a survivalist nightmare. Think of it as the New Vegas hardcore mode on steroids!

http://freeartlondon.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/war_game_2.jpg

"You tell me, over and over and over again my friend, that you don't believe, we're on the eve of destruction!" ;)

Edited by ProgsterJohn

If you live near a natural phenomena, I forget what it is called, but essentially due to the landscape it creates a sort of natural barrier against rain and snow clouds, as well as ash plumes. I do know there is one near me, and I know that the town of Chico, CA is in one. But if you can survive the initial bombs, and get to an area like that, you would GREATLY increase your chances of survival.