[Brainstorm] Craft Master

antistar

Craft Master

The short version: Caliber but for crafting components.

The detailed version:

I suspect there will be a lot of mods that expand on the crafting system in FO4. Some of these mods will likely add new crafting components, to be used in new or existing recipes. If two or more mods add the same component (e.g. brass, paper, stone, etc), things would be a bit messy for people using those mods together. They would be finding multiple different kinds of (ostensibly) the same component - each of which could be used in some recipes that call for that component, but not others.

A solution would be to create a mod like Caliber, mentioned above; a master plugin that contains a bunch of common crafting components that other mods could draw upon. Hence the name "Craft Master" (CM).

The general idea is that CM wouldn't add any of these components to the game world itself. A mod that needs a component from CM would be the one to add that component to the world - e.g. by having it as a result from breaking down items, adding it to levelled lists, etc. That said, there is the possibility of CM incorporating some kind of framework for adding components to the game world somehow when a child mod sets a global in CM or something. (E.g. "shipments" available from merchants.) That's sort of why I put this up as a brainstorming topic; discuss!

I've been thinking about this for a while, but I wasn't sure when to put up a thread. First there were no FO4 modding forum sections (because the game wasn't out), and then there were, but they were/are moving so quickly it seemed like it would be lost in the crowd... and I was too busy just playing the game, anyway.

In any case, I can see myself making CM, but I don't have any solid plans right now for when that might be. I still want to finish Clockwork before I get distracted by making mods for FO4. We'll see how long my willpower holds out.

I'm not... "laying claim" to the idea of CM or anything; that'd be sort of silly. I thought I should put the idea out there in case it hasn't been already though - and sooner rather than later, given the sort of mod it would be.

If someone does feel like picking this up and running with it, my advice would be:

- Look at how Caliber works if you're not familiar with it. (I'm not saying copy it, but it's a good reference point.)

- Be prepared to be in there for the long haul. CM doesn't necessarily have to be a high-maintenance mod, but occasionally updating it with new components (that have been requested, say) is to be expected.

- Following on from the above; be prepared to hand maintenance off to someone else if you no longer have time for modding FO4 at some point in the future.

- Don't feel obliged to add every component that pops into your head, or the heads of random people commenting on the mod. There's not much point if they're not actually going to be used.

- An ideal situation for adding a new component is that a modder wants it for a mod they're making, and perhaps has even made assets for it that they would like to contribute.

Finally, here are some potential common crafting components off the top of my head:

Brass
Bricks
Clay
Dye (black, white/bleach, primary colours)
Explosive material
Gunpowder (maybe pistol and rifle powder as in FNV)
Iron
Mortar
Paint (black, white, primary colours)
Paper
Solder
Stone
Thread

This is definitely a community-oriented sort of thing, so yes... discuss!

I think this is a fantastic idea and would love to see an essentially FO4 version of Caliber. I am up for collaborating or starting development independently (if you are too busy). I definitely wouldn't mind making some new models when the GECK is released, but I suppose records for the components can already be made in FO4Edit.

Ask yourself the question first (not that you haven't but) what are these specific items for crafting going to be used for? Thread to create? Stone to create? Steel is in the game which is a compound of iron and carbon. So puttin iron in the game would force you to add carbon to make steel. Your concepts are not at fault, I am however curious as to what you would use them for (specifically clay)? All of what you have may be just random materials but they must serve a purpose.

Looking at some popular ammo and crafting mods already, here is a list of components currently added in by other mods.

Ammo Components:

Lead Shavings

Steel Shavings

Gunpowder

Fertilizer

Shell Casing (.308)

Shell Casing (.38)

Shell Casing (.44)

Shell Casing (.45)

Shell Casing (.50)

Shell Casing (10mm)

Shell Casing (12 Ga. Shotgun)

Shell Casing (5.56)

Shell Casing (5mm)

Shell Casing (20 Ga. Shotgun)

'Box of Casings' for each of the above

Primer (Low Caliber)

Primer (High Caliber)

Primer (Shotgun)

Box of Primers (Pistol)

Box of Primers (Rifle)

Box of Primers (Shotgun)

Drained 2mm EM Cartridge

Drained Alien Power Cell

Drained Cryo Cell

Drained Fusion Core

Drained Gamma Cell

Drained Microfusion Cell

Drained Plasma Cartridge

Drained Small Energy Cell

Armor Components:

Rubber Weave

Leather Weave

Fiberglass Weave

Crafting Components:

Seems like a lot of mods just use the default 5 or 6 components for everything i.e. steel, wood and cloth, etc.

Other Components not Currently Used in Mods:

Magnet

Thread

Solder

Edited by Gunshot08

I think this is a fantastic idea and would love to see an essentially FO4 version of Caliber. I am up for collaborating or starting development independently (if you are too busy). I definitely wouldn't mind making some new models when the GECK is released, but I suppose records for the components can already be made in FO4Edit.

I am busy right now (Clockwork has taken a very long time but I want to finish it, dammit!) - anyone who feels like taking up something like CM should just go for it. I do hope that they're open to suggestions/advice, though. :wink:

Ask yourself the question first (not that you haven't but) what are these specific items for crafting going to be used for? Thread to create? Stone to create? Steel is in the game which is a compound of iron and carbon. So puttin iron in the game would force you to add carbon to make steel. Your concepts are not at fault, I am however curious as to what you would use them for (specifically clay)? All of what you have may be just random materials but they must serve a purpose.

I said the same thing, of course; not much point adding things just because you can think of them. They were just examples, but if you're curious about my thoughts behind them:

Brass, Explosive material, Gunpowder - Ammo and explosives crafting

Bricks, Mortar - Construction with bricks

Clay - Making bricks

Dye, Thread - Crafting clothes

Iron, Paper - Speculating about mods that might add more detail to object breakdown; some things are made of iron, not steel. Or paper, not cloth.

Paint - Construction, painting weapons/armour

Solder - Partially or completely replacing adhesive in recipes for items with lots of metal (e.g. guns).

Stone - Construction