Hot Topic #1: The dumbing down of Oblivion

Dark0ne

I have to say that Oblivion is garbage compared to Morrowind. I love Morrowind, not because the graphics, obviosly, but because of the world, and the feeling of accomplishment from quests. There is a certain atmosphere, a certain presence in Vvardenfell that you dont get with Oblivion. The devs at Bethesda need to take a long hard look at the previuos games in the series, than look at Oblivion and say, hmmm, where did we lose our ways. I mean every single person whose played Morrowind for more than 80-150 hours, as I have, will agree. Morrowind is more immersive, and vastly better as far as roleplaying and replayability goes, or even you can use the same character forever and prbably never be bored.

Yes, Oblivion has waaaaay better graphics I admit it, I wount take that from them, but It had so much potential, to be the best game ever, period. And it was wasted, I am willing to bet my life, that if they remade Morrowind, with Oblivion look and combat system, people would flat out stop playing Oblivion and burn the damn game. Please guys, I love the game, but I hate it also. No flaming, you know Im right.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that Oblivion is garbage compared to Morrowind. I love Morrowind, not because the graphics, obviosly, but because of the world, and the feeling of accomplishment from quests. There is a certain atmosphere, a certain presence in Vvardenfell that you dont get with Oblivion. The devs at Bethesda need to take a long hard look at the previuos games in the series, than look at Oblivion and say, hmmm, where did we lose our ways. I mean every single person whose played Morrowind for more than 80-150 hours, as I have, will agree. Morrowind is more immersive, and vastly better as far as roleplaying and replayability goes, or even you can use the same character forever and prbably never be bored.

Yes, Oblivion has waaaaay better graphics I admit it, I wount take that from them, but It had so much potential, to be the best game ever, period. And it was wasted, I am willing to bet my life, that if they remade Morrowind, with Oblivion look and combat system, people would flat out stop playing Oblivion and burn the damn game. Please guys, I love the game, but I hate it also. No flaming, you know Im right.

8) 8) 8) You are 100% correct. i give you kudos. Anyways as mustardboy said, oblivion was more focused on action and graphics while morrowind was more focused on free roaming and variety. Since i prefer variety over graphics, I prefer morrowind. I mean the inconssitincies in oblivion were enormous. I dont know abot you people but it seemed bethesda was playing on popular pop culture in oblivion and ripped off lord of the rings in numerous aspects. for example, the imperial city was supposed to be something like venice but in the game was made to look like minas tirith. Also cyrodil was supposed to be a jungle while in the game it was something more like medevil europe. The worst however was the leveled scripting where everyone leveled up with you. This was on bethesda part bowing down to the console junkies who wanted a quick and easy game without a lot of hard detail. In rpg's I want it where my character is like a god at the end of the game. Not when im level 100 and Im struggling against a level 100 wolf. NNow the reason why bethesda did this was simple. To more open their game up to a wider aduience who in general get confused with detail and game length. All in all, i lost respect for bethesda for not staying loyal to their fan community and giving in to the mass audience's opinion. Also perhaps since consoles dont have a great deal of memory, oblivion was cut back on detail so it could function normally on the consoles without overloading its memory.

I dont know abot you people but it seemed bethesda was playing on popular pop culture in oblivion and ripped off lord of the rings in numerous aspects. for example, the imperial city was supposed to be something like venice but in the game was made to look like minas tirith. Also cyrodil was supposed to be a jungle while in the game it was something more like medevil europe.

I can't seem to find it back, but in the intro movie you see a black gate in oblivion with that war machine behind it. Not only does this black gate look like the one from LOTR, 'mordorgate' is part of its editor ID in the Construction Set. I saw this a while ago, I can't find it back though.

8) 8) 8) You are 100% correct. i give you kudos. Anyways as mustardboy said, oblivion was more focused on action and graphics while morrowind was more focused on free roaming and variety. Since i prefer variety over graphics, I prefer morrowind. I mean the inconssitincies in oblivion were enormous. I dont know abot you people but it seemed bethesda was playing on popular pop culture in oblivion and ripped off lord of the rings in numerous aspects. for example, the imperial city was supposed to be something like venice but in the game was made to look like minas tirith. Also cyrodil was supposed to be a jungle while in the game it was something more like medevil europe. The worst however was the leveled scripting where everyone leveled up with you. This was on bethesda part bowing down to the console junkies who wanted a quick and easy game without a lot of hard detail. In rpg's I want it where my character is like a god at the end of the game. Not when im level 100 and Im struggling against a level 100 wolf. NNow the reason why bethesda did this was simple. To more open their game up to a wider aduience who in general get confused with detail and game length. All in all, i lost respect for bethesda for not staying loyal to their fan community and giving in to the mass audience's opinion. Also perhaps since consoles dont have a great deal of memory, oblivion was cut back on detail so it could function normally on the consoles without overloading its memory.

Thank you for agreeing with me, you said everything there is to say that i couldnt think of. Thats so true and I really hope that someone from this forum will copy paste this and email it to the boys at besthesda softworks so that The Elder Scrolls: Rise of Akivir(LOL I hope so!) Will be the best game EVER!!!

(And where I said Rise of Akivir, this is what I want to see, not whats gonna happen)

Mustardman, we can demand more - we can demand that a game is set up with difficulty and options so that we get the Oblivion that is like Morrowind and console/mainstream gamers get the Oblivion Oblivion. It should not have to be one or the other!

I also think that there should have been a boycott of the pay for official mods and there should have been an outcry over bugs and an outcry over the dumbing down like there was for Deus Ex 2. But there wasn't. PC gamers, based on PC game sales and few PC game releases, seem to be giving up and walking away to retro and independent gaming, as full price PC games sales are down and retro/independent game sales are way up!

Thank goodness for mods like MMM and Frans that do do something about the creature/NPC AI and do get rid of the static levelling to a large degree! If we consider these mods as 'patches' that bring to Oblivion what should have been in it in the first place, we can see how underwhelming and buggy and lacking in content Oblivion really is. I wonder if they consciously

left these things out to save money hoping/knowing the modding community would do it for free?! Given the charge for the horse armour mod for example, you can see how money is what it's all about now!

Mustardman, we can demand more - we can demand that a game is set up with difficulty and options so that we get the Oblivion that is like Morrowind and console/mainstream gamers get the Oblivion Oblivion. It should not have to be one or the other!

I also think that there should have been a boycott of the pay for official mods and there should have been an outcry over bugs and an outcry over the dumbing down like there was for Deus Ex 2. But there wasn't. PC gamers, based on PC game sales and few PC game releases, seem to be giving up and walking away to retro and independent gaming, as full price PC games sales are down and retro/independent game sales are way up!

Thank goodness for mods like MMM and Frans that do do something about the creature/NPC AI and do get rid of the static levelling to a large degree! If we consider these mods as 'patches' that bring to Oblivion what should have been in it in the first place, we can see how underwhelming and buggy and lacking in content Oblivion really is. I wonder if they consciously

left these things out to save money hoping/knowing the modding community would do it for free?! Given the charge for the horse armour mod for example, you can see how money is what it's all about now!

I couldnt agree more, Bethesda is becoming more and more like a Microsoft or a Bungie type of company, making there games for the larger group of mainstrem, and if I dare say, *kittie kittie* gamers. Its all about the money to them now, WHY??? Morrowind wasnt about the money, it was about making a game they were passionate about, and it showed with how detailed the world was. All the mods we hade to pay for, like horse armor, and all the others, should have been included in the game. Imagine if Halo3 comes out, and a month later they want us to pay for the last level. I know its not the same, but its just as much a piss off. Why arent they more loyal to their die hard fans, and thank god that we exist, or else we wouldve abondened the series all together. I mean, I love the series, I love the lore, I love the races, I love it all. I cant get enough of Tamriel dammit. But with the early release of Oblivion, the games seems really half assed. Im very passionate about this topic, as its been plaguing me for a while. When Morrowind first came out, I could only get mediocre game frame rates, as most of us did, but dammit we played it just as hard. When Oblivion first came out (before I upgraded my system) I played it hard anyways despite my poor frames rates, but when I discovered how different the game was, I gave up man. I couldnt bear it. The game is so wrong in so many aspects to me. If I was the dev of the game, none of this would have to be said. It would have been the exact same games as morrowind, only enhanced graphics, combat and AI. And I could have developed this game, I can script model and mod. So yeah, I know this was a bit of rant, but it has to be said. I beleive Four Worlds is gonna be way better than Oblivion. Check it out, Its gonna be what we all want. You know, before I wrap yhis up, I really want someone to make a TC for Oblivion. DL the mod of Solsthem remade, and Remake Morrowind, Its all there, It just needs to be decorated and scripted. I could do it, but Ive lost so much faith with Bethesda, I cant do it. If someone who was skilled enough could do this, I think it would blow the actual Oblivion out of the water. I dont mean just make Vvardenfell, but make ai changes, get rid of the *kittie kittie* ass compass, (If you cant follow directions, see yah) and actually make a game that the REAL Elder Scrolls fans want. I am speaking for all the real ES fans out there right now. Something has to be done...Mayby its being done...;)

I have to agree. I like Oblivion, but I like Morrowind much more. The atmosphere and story line were better. The variety of factions and quests was much better in Morrowind. I think the quality of mods I have seen has been better for Morrowind as well. Although the voice acting conversations does add to the game now and there, I like the text heavy ones of Morrowind better; I guess that is some more evidence of Oblivion being dumbed down (don't know if that point was made before).

I have to agree Morrowind given the Oblivion upgrades would immensely more popular.

Hope TES V will take into account what made Morrowind a great game and upgrade it with better graphics, combat, etc.

>:( >:( >:( >:( I have had it. What Bethesda has done has sicken me to the core. I say all who agree with I and everyone on this post that we should commit ourselves to write a petition to Bethesda. tell your friends, family, whomever agrees with you to join the petition. Any who Agree with me say I

>:( >:( >:( >:( I have had it. What Bethesda has done has sicken me to the core. I say all who agree with I and everyone on this post that we should commit ourselves to write a petition to Bethesda. tell your friends, family, whomever agrees with you to join the petition. Any who Agree with me say I

Umm, A petion to do what exactly? To do a better job next time? As much as I love the idea of getting up in arms for a cause, I really dont see a just reason. So you think they made a horrabel game. Name one software that hasen't. The only person you should be mad at is yourself for buying it, but on the bright side, you will know better next time.

Umm, A petion to do what exactly? To do a better job next time? As much as I love the idea of getting up in arms for a cause, I really dont see a just reason. So you think they made a horrabel game. Name one software that hasen't. The only person you should be mad at is yourself for buying it, but on the bright side, you will know better next time.

:wacko: You dont get it do you. Yes, many companies have made bad games but what bethesda has done is unacceptable. The main thing that bethesda has done that angers me is they pressure you into doing something. They made a half ass game which is glitched. Then they release a patch which fixes it but the price is enormous. Take the v1.2.0416 patch for example. This patch fixes the shivering isles as well as oblivion. however this patch renders some mods and parts of your construction set useless. They are now trying to limit the mod community because people find the mods too sexist or too much of a overbalancer for pc users. This is unacceptable as well as for the fact that they now charge money for mods. Also if you didn't here, they're pondering on if they should put a charge fee for the construction set download. The main points of the petition would be the removal of the patch, end of the charge fees, and less bowing to public opinion to shut up the mdding community. if you find this illogical, please inform me!