How "essential" NPCs killed RPGs

invock

This is obvious from the first hours of gameplay, Fallout 4 sought to make the series more accessible than in the past, no doubt seeking publisher to reach a wider audience than the old salts RPG in Western.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edited by nathaniel222

I was worried that fallout 4 was going to have something wrong with it, or a bunch of little things that really built up in bad ways. But i never thought that they would take it in such a direction to where it goes even further from any rpg elements that it already lacked in fo3. :sad:

Well, this is an interesting thread seeing as I have essentialized virtually every NPC in Oblivion that ever sets foot outside a major city, or lives outside of one. Sometimes even NPCs who do live exclusively inside tall walls.

Cyrodiil is empty enough as it is, I don´t want even less people there :P

• 5 months later...

Obsidian devs explaining what an RPG really is, and what's at stake when it comes to making one.

Featuring the creators of Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park TSOT, Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, among others...

Obsidian devs explaining what an RPG really is, and what's at stake when it comes to making one.

Featuring the creators of Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park TSOT, Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale, among others...

Thanks for posting that, that was well worth taking an hour to watch.

Whoa dude, this just blew my mind, I said the same thing when Oblivion came out! Youre definitely right, there were several times i thought "my character would probably just blow this f***er away at this point in the conversation" but now we are stuck in a linear storyline in RPGs under the guise of choices! its not like The KoTOR games where choices GREATLY impacted the story anymore! it always ends the same now! At least in new vegas you could go NO GODS NO MASTERS! and kill all the bigwigs of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree iwth the op because I believe that studio executives simply chose onot to support the segment of the market and discard it in favour of more mainstream IPs. If you track Windows development now, you can see that they have discarded the interests of the people who made the operating system in the first place: Geeks and programmers. What you see now are cosplay 'geeks' making games, not true programmers and software developers etc.

• 3 weeks later...

i wonder what will TES6 be like seeing how dumbed down FO4 was

It really sucks that many characters are essential in FO4

i seriously want to shoot Preston in the head but then the game goes "NONONONONO, HE ESSENTIAL, UR DED"

just let me play the game that i paid 80 dollars the way i want to play it

yes, 80 dollars, go serbia

I don't use followers and this is half the reason why. The other half would be that I don't want to feel responsible for a follower's death. So my characters walk the path alone, always.

The Rabbit

i wonder what will TES6 be like seeing how dumbed down FO4 was

It really sucks that many characters are essential in FO4

i seriously want to shoot Preston in the head but then the game goes "NONONONONO, HE ESSENTIAL, UR DED"

just let me play the game that i paid 80 dollars the way i want to play it

yes, 80 dollars, go serbia

Exactly. In BG1, I rolled a character with 18(100) ..couldn't believe my eyes. It was really, really difficult but immediately at the start I beat a guard to death with my fists and equipped his armour and sword, so I could kill the rest of the guards in the fortified castle you start in. I had plate armour from the start. Games are just not made like this anymore. It's really disgusting what has happened to the industry and ppl in general. Now you can't kill guards because sissies make games now.

Edited by Eronon