Unique Settlers- Shouldering the Burden

OmNomNid

So I have had an idea for a mod since Fallout 4 came out and found that settlements quickly loose personality. Sure, my Sanctuary Hills has an active bunch, as it is pretty much my default destination for companions when I don't need them. However I rarely want to stay at any of my other settlements- all I have there are nameless settlers and such that are boring. I wouldn't even bother with more than two or three honestly if the Minutemen didn't require me to settle every inch of the Commonwealth; which brings another issue I had with settlements- all the micromanaging. It wasn't too bad at first but I'm nearing level fifty with my main and keeping my Defense-Food-Happiness-Ect. up at every location is just frustrating.

So, with those two things in mind, I thought up a cool solution to both problems after meeting the Vault-Tec Rep. Unique, named settlers that act as pseudo-companions. Scattered throughout the Commonwealth, you can meet a number of interesting people who not only need your help but can help in return. Once you have made allies out of the settlers you pick a settlement for them to go to and they do what they do best- and no two do the same thing, as each provides a unique benefit to your settlement.

Examples include:

- Jean R. Quinn: A former tato farmer looking for a new place to call home, he just has one last thing to take care off- finding the arson that burned down his family home. When assigned to a settlement Jean will use his years of experience to help your settlers harvest and sow the land, providing a big boost to food. Further more his farming techniques allow him to gather a bigger yield, doubling the crop added to your workstation.

- Captain KAPOW!: A former Gunner captain, KAPOW! was taken by Super Mutants and changed. More stable than many others of his variety, KAPOW! at first enjoyed his new form but quickly came to hate his other mutant kin, due to their lack of discipline. Now on the run, we will turn to anyone for help- even a weak human. A super mutant and a former Gunner, KAPOW!'s personality wears on a settlement's happiness but he provides a nice boost to defense. Furthermore he will beat discipline into your settlers if needed, making them much more effective in a fight.

- Barbra: A thief, con artist, and counterfeiter. These are only the start of the things Barbra Cole has been called and the things she excels at. Having earned more caps then is sensible she is ready to retire after one last job. Barbra isn't the most suited to life as a settler, meaning she does provide any obvious benefits at first. However her canny skills with money means your shops have more caps. In addition she has more than enough caps to share, paying you 'taxes' once a week.

- Vern Mitchel: From out West, Vern is a doctor trying to put as much distance between him and the NCR. Vern grew up in a desert, so treating people suffering from dehydration became second nature to him. Vern provides a boost to water at the settlement he is sent to, and further more, once a week, can provide a stockpile of medical supplies.

- Krill and Scuttle: A duo, Krill is a tribal man from the North who makes a living as a trader and a courier. Scuttle, his beast of burden, is a domesticated mirelurk queen. Using Scuttle as a pack animal, Krill can act as a provisioner, making the settlement you assign him to your hub, setting up a trade route to it from all of your other settlements.

I have a few more characters in the works but need to flesh them out a bit more. I will admit I don't have the most experience modding but I hope to see this one come to light. I posted this in the request section as I'm looking for just a little help- tips and suggestions mostly. I also am looking for suggestions on ideas for settlers, characters who you would want to meet in the Commonwealth.

Until then I'm just waiting for the GECK/Creation Kit before I start work on this. Can't wait for your feedback.

You mentioned micromanagement and the issues that come from it and having a bad tool to do it. What are your ideas towards that? Cause as far as unique settlers goes, that doesn't help much in that regard, managing your settlements remains a pain (try changing attire for everyone in only 4 or 5 settlements, I dare you).

If you add the unique people, they should have balanced bonuses eg. 10% or 20% more food, not double. There should also be one for each possible settlement, and chosen from the available named ones (not all settlements have that).

You mentioned micromanagement and the issues that come from it and having a bad tool to do it. What are your ideas towards that? Cause as far as unique settlers goes, that doesn't help much in that regard, managing your settlements remains a pain (try changing attire for everyone in only 4 or 5 settlements, I dare you).

If you add the unique people, they should have balanced bonuses eg. 10% or 20% more food, not double. There should also be one for each possible settlement, and chosen from the available named ones (not all settlements have that).

I tried leaving things a little vague as I am not 100% sure how I am going to implement every thing but here are some examples:

Let's say you are trying to build up Starlight Drive-In but your resources are spread thin and you want to make it a settlement that can stand up to raiders harassing it. Instead of build even weak turrets to it you send KAPOW! there. KAPOW! causes -5 Happiness but +20 Defense and all the settlers in Starlight now have +25% Damage and Damage Resistance.

Most of the settlers will have similar setups and by handling the unique settlers like these I aim to:

1.) Create interesting characters to help add personality to your settlements, especially if you maintain more than Sanctuary Hills.

2a.) Let players create truly potent settlements if they want to by using a unique follower to enhance a key aspect of it (like keeping Jean at a farming specific community to enhance its output).

2b.) Let players who want or need multiple settlements but who can't or don't want to constantly gather resources have a shortcut by having a unique settler pick up some of the slack (Vern Mitchel, for example provides +15 Water to a settlement; you can send him to one that you want to put the littlest amount of work into to cover your water necessities).

Here is a full list I hope to include in a final, finished version of the mod:

- 20+ unique settlers, no two alike, each with their own quest/quest line and settlement benefits.

- A loyalty system where these settlers' bonuses improve with each tier. Example: Loyalty Tier 1 KAPOW! decreases Happiness by 5, Increases Defense by 20 and settler battle stats by 25%. Tier 2 Increases Defense by 35 and Battle Stats by 50%, and Tier 3 Defense +50 and Battle Stats to +75%. Loyalty is by completing quest for the settler or the settlement they are stationed in, helping defend their settlements in a fight, interacting with them, or even by giving them loot and rewards.

-Roles the settlers fill, with each settlement having three- a captain, who stays in town, not to far from the workbench, a scout, who patrols around just outside the settlement's perimeter, and finally a trader, who acts as a provisioner for the settlement. Each settler will have at least one role they can fill, like Krill and Barbra, while others can fill two or even all three, like this sentry bot I have in mind named Treadmark.

-Possibly turning the existing companions into settlers when not in use and having them grant a bonus while they are left at a settlement.

+1 I'm definitely looking forward to the design of this mod. I love the idea of a variety of new characters, sort of like sub-companions in the sense of story and personality. But rather than going out adventuring with them, they stay in your settlements and protect them there. I think the bonus changes would be a good idea, as well, because it just furthers them being more 'special'.

I too want to see this mod come to life, it would complement the blandness of the current settlement system. We still need a way to manage the villages and the settlers themselves though.. cause beth didn't even try to make that a thing.