Enabling Fallout 4 Mods

truthoutthere

I'm at the wiki site for enabling support for Fallout 4 mods: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation

The instructions are a bit confusing to me.

Step 7 says to open Fallout4Custom.ini with your favourite text editor.

Step 8 says to add the lines to Fallout4.ini

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

sResourceDataDirsFinal=

The way I'm reading it, is that you leave Fallout4Custom.ini alone. Open Fallout4.ini and add the lines. Right?

Also is there supposed to be a value at the end of sResourceDataDirsFinal= ??

It depends on the guide. Some are claiming that 1.2 is trying to get you to use Custom, but it is not working for me. I tried this:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

and also tried this:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

Neither version would actually load loose files. I used both version in my Fallout4.ini as well, and have the Prefs "bEnableFileSelection=1" set so they should have loaded. The only mods working atm (for me) are ESPs.

Hello! I am having a similar issue, I have about 20 mods/plugins running and the game looks fantastic, however recently I noticed the load times were getting longer and longer, this is due apprently to the way the Ini file was edited at the release to enable mods. I read that this can now be changed (as above) to reduce the loading times but I cannot get it to work either. Initially I changed the Ini file to "sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\" and has worked flawlessly however I went to change the custom ini file and all it shows is location X and Y and thats it, I added the new command and it has not made any difference.

My question is this! Do you have to revert the Ini file back to how it was before adding the extra string as above? Its not a show stopper but I am sure you will all agree anything that can be done to reduce loading times is always a good thing!!

Thanks in advance

cheers

Lol

Fallout4Custom.ini is not the file you're meant to edit, instead you edit the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini files (located at C:\Users\[user]\Documents\my games\Fallout4). You change the sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, line in the Fallout4.ini to sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ and the bEnableFileSelection=0 line in the Fallout4Prefs.ini to bEnableFileSelection=1.

Note that if you're running the FO4 beta, you will also need to make the plugins.txt (located at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Fallout4) read-only (after you've added the mod .esp names you want to run to it ofcourse (*insertnewline*[mod file name].esp)). If you don't make this file read only, the FO4 launcher will blank it out on every launch.

The longer load times are probably due to the fact that a full sResourceDataDirsFinal= line makes the game scan the added directories to load in any loose files it finds there. So if you're running mods dependent on loose files, you shouldn't clear the sResourceDataDirsFinal= line and you should NEVER delete STRINGS\, from the line (the game has a couple loose string files of it's own which it would be unable to load if you did that).

Edited by Guest

Thanks Darkco your advice sheds some light on it, your suggestion re the Ini files seems to contradict the advice given by the link in the first post though:

1. Open Fallout4Custom.ini with your favourite text editor. * Note that this file was changed from Fallout4.ini following update 1.2
  2. Add the following lines to your Fallout4Custom.ini [Archive] bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 sResourceDataDirsFinal=
  3. Save and close...

This is where I am getting confused but maybe I am reading it wrong, Ill have a play around with it when I get a minute and share my findings if I am successful, the game runs sweet as a nut apart from the loading times!!

Fallout4Custom.ini is not the file you're meant to edit, instead you edit the Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini files (located at C:\Users\[user]\Documents\my games\Fallout4). You change the sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, line in the Fallout4.ini to sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\ and the bEnableFileSelection=0 line in the Fallout4Prefs.ini to bEnableFileSelection=1.

Note that if you're running the FO4 beta, you will also need to make the plugins.txt (located at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Fallout4) read-only (after you've added the mod .esp names you want to run to it ofcourse (*insertnewline*[mod file name].esp)). If you don't make this file read only, the FO4 launcher will blank it out on every launch.

The longer load times are probably due to the fact that a full sResourceDataDirsFinal= line makes the game scan the added directories to load in any loose files it finds there. So if you're running mods dependent on loose files, you shouldn't clear the sResourceDataDirsFinal= line and you should NEVER delete STRINGS\, from the line (the game has a couple loose string files of it's own which it would be unable to load if you did that).

adding the bEnableFileSelection=1 does not work anymore the launcher manager is gone in 1.2.

Edited by bladexdsl

adding the bEnableFileSelection=1 does not work anymore the launcher manager is gone in 1.2.

While that's true, I'm not sure whether it's actually still needed to load in mods.

Because of this I still have it set to 1 and..

..to manually load mods without the NMM or launcher manager.