.DDS Animation - TV mod?

TroJanViru5

POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!!!

While scouring the fallout 4 textures I noticed something very interesting.

If you can remember the start of the game, the TV actually has something playing. A news anchor moving about.

I found that file and guess what... It's not a .swf or .bk2 file or anything like that.

It's a .DDS file...

I wasn't aware you could animate a .dds file but it appears the game engine makes use of a 2K DDS file that has an image sequence from top left to bottom right in what appears to be a 25FPS stop motion file.

I've made a short film in the same sequence and I'll convert it into a .DDS file and post the results if I can get it to pop up on the TV post-war.

Follow if you're interested to know the outcome.

Edited by TroJanViru5

That file is 2048x2048 (2K texture resolution).
The file doesn't seem to have any other important properties so I assume the animation is triggered within the game engine itself.

Here is a basic version of my file which I painstakingly created by converting a video of mine into 255 images (256 minus the last default image) at 30FPS in 8K (downsampled to 4096):

MFIPXBU.jpg

The next test is to see if the game engine (which clearly handles the animation as opposed to the DDS file), will run the 4096x4096 dds in it's correct dimensions without needing to downsample the file once again to 2048x2048.

Success!

The .dds file plays through it's desired animation at a whopping 8K resolution.

See the album for observation:
http://imgur.com/a/6A6m4

Now a simple plugin to make the post-war TV's play the Pre-War sequence and the TV's will play whatever animation you'd like.

Feel free to comment on my findings.

Edited by TroJanViru5

Found and started modifying the PlayerHouse_Television01.nif file which is the High Polished TV set found in the default players home at the beginning of the game.

Few things to note here;

1. I have changed the Television animation dependancies as follows:
a) Both video files needed for animation are .dds files named "Video1.dds" and Video2" respectively.
b) I am hoping that the .nif file will call for these as loose files in the Data\Textures\Effects\TVAnim\... Folder

2. Secondly, by replacing the workshop run-down TV with this new, clean .NIF, it will not affect the original TV in the default players home at the beginning of the game.

Image of nifskope references:
91h61pY.png

Another note;
The original TV in the default players home had two animation .dds files. One was a commercial advertising the FATMAN weapon and the other was a weather man describing the forecasts in various countries.
Both of these .dds files were referenced inside the TV.nif file, of which I have modified to call "video1.dds" and "video2.dds" respectively.
I'd like to mention that this should make it easier for people interested in modding the animation themselves. (I will post how to create their own .dds for the TV to play shortly).

Have you tried experimenting with dds 'videos' of lengthier duration? It would be interesting to know the limits, if any.

The principle is like sprite sheet or flip book. One frame is played after the other and is controlled inside the nif with controllers and key.

The limit is the texture size and the number of frame you put on. If you need longer animation, you swap another screen with another .dds