Reasons why you reloaded a save?

GringoLoco91

This morning I went to Goodneighbor. And what I did there goes into why I placed this in the spoilers section for those who have not yet been to the Hotel in Goodneighbor, particularly the upstairs. I ran into the Vault Tec Representative from the start of the game. He is now a ghoul, and I convinced him to join Sanctuary. Now as for my reason for reloading. I saved upon leaving Goodneighbor, and a good thing I did. I engaged some gunners outside the Mass Fusion building just outside town, and since I have rank 3 Sneak, I don't trigger landmines, and many times I do not notice them for that fact. so as I was looting the bodies, I saw something from the corner of my screen so I glanced that way and it was the Vault Tec Rep on his way to Sanctuary. Then a second later I heard *beep beep BOOM!*. The poor guy stepped on a landmine that I had overlooked and died. After the sad story he gave me at the hotel, I felt really horrible for convincing him to leave only to die stepping on a landmine just outside Goodneighbor. So I reloaded and after killing the gunners again, quickly rushed into the building so then, to best of my understanding of how the game works, the vault tec rep could make his way to Sanctuary without environmental hazards killing him because those hazards would not be loaded up. I really hope I can see him at Sanctuary because I plan to have him work at a store, you know...given his 200 years of experience as salesman, to paraphrase him.

Anyone else have a reason for reloading a save generally based on regrets?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much regret as annoyance at settlers jumping into my X1 power armour, which had no fusion core in loaded in it when raiders attacked my settlement at Covenant.

Needless to say I couldn't get the armour back off them settler without killing them, and them I lose the internal frame plus damage/destroy most of the armour as well...

ffs

The only place where I've had to reload over and over again was to save Kent Connolly

Other than that... hmm, I reloaded an earlier save after I found out that "donating" the crops from a farm in the wasteland actually means handing the whole damn settlement over to the BoS...

I'm sure there are more situations like this but these are the most memorable ones

To be honest, I'd love to find a way to keep anyone except Paladin Danse Danse Revolution in a power-armour. I find more than enough frames to have one power armour defender per settlement, for when the Raiders next drop by. Hell, I'd even give him a minigun to go with it.

Especially since I can trade whatever X-01 pieces I had on it off him, and give him some old surplus T-45 I had around, or the BOS II T-60b pieces the BOS gave me for free anyway, or some raider PA pieces that I had Dogmeat carry back. It's not like there's a shortage of raider pieces you can loot.

But no, they get out of it the next time they want to go sleep. Even inactive companions.

Hell, I was actually happy when Ronnie Shaw decided to get into my old Atom-Cats T60b armor during an attack on the Castle. Pickpocketed a minigun TO her, and lemme tell you, that gal kicked synth rear in wholesale in the Defend The Castle mission.

The only real problem for me is when Carla or some other merchant decide to hitch a ride. THOSE never sleep, never sit at the bar, and you can't tell them to give back the pieces either. So they'll be stomping around in power armour for the rest of the game.

The save feature is a major factor for my purchasing decisions. Saving at will lets you really explore everything a game has to offer. I can spend a couple hours just trying to see if I can walk out on some ledge to get around a corner to find that hidden prize. I will fall to my death repeatedly but I will try every option, try every jump and explore every nook that I can. I might die 30 times before I either complete it, or give up. Needless to say I am not in any hurry and the exploring the game to its fullest is what I find to be fun.

I will often take on a boss with the crappiest weapon I can find, just to see if I can do it. I may die a hundred times but by god I want to see if I can kill this Mirelurk Queen with this Super Mutant Board. :) The save will let try everything without fear of having to go back and repeat a lot of stuff that I do not want to repeat. The save lets me focus on the exploration.

Bioshock Infinite was a good example of a game that could allow for exploration, but most people just plowed through it so if you died you did not have to restart at some distant point in the past.

So to the OP's point I reload because of regrets many times every day. I regret I tried to jump from this building to the next and died every time. I regret I used that Super Mutant Board on that Mirelurk Queen when I needed a Switchblade. :)

Well, not technically a reload, but in the same spirit of going back to an earlier state and point in time, I have restarted the game the first time because I hadn't gotten the wife's makeup and chin just right.

Then they go and kill her pretty much as soon as I'm done with all those hours of creating the perfect prize wife. Barstards ;)

saving Kent. first try

I convinced all the guards to run away but the leader killed Kent before I could react. so instead I just goaded them into making him watch them kill me. only instead I killed them

while Curie tried to stand in the way of my gun

arrived at Covenant. did the Blade Runner quiz. went inside and Curie was suddenly pissed off so I reloaded, made her wait outside and went inside without her

and sometimes if I see a really tempting but out of character dialogue choice and have a very recent save then I'll try it out

Had an oddity while fighting a sentry bot not far from Hangman's Alley. Instead of hitting Q for VATS I somehow selected my companion (Danse) who was right next to it. Somewhere in all that I managed to dismiss him, I tabbed out...as you don't, lol, then got the notification that he hated that. I thought WTF? and just reloaded my last quicksave. Walked several steps down the road and encountered that same Sentry Bot. That second time I paid a bit more attention to where we all were and what buttons I was pressing :)

So I'm coming out of Goodneighbour at midnight, and you know, bad neighbourhood, don't look around, don't make eye contact. And I start hearing *bonk* *bonk* behind me. You know, I pick up the pace, don't look back, don't make eye contact. I keep hearing *bonk* *bonk*. So eventually I get an *ahem* slo-mo view, and what do you know? A mutant was hitting me in the head with a board! ;)

*ahem* Well, more seriously, I reload for lots of reasons, but yeah, companions going hostile is one that I rarely understand. And sometimes the other AI is... strange too, to say the least. Here's an epic tale of both. Epic, as in epic fail ;)

E.g., I clear Covenant, use the workshop, go assign a route from the drive-in, and start building there. Starting with a recruitment sigal tower. Then go around disabling the turrets and replacing them with mine and all that. A settler arrives and starts shooting at me. Well, I'm actually building in PA for the rare cases when I need to jetpack on a roof to build something, so he ain't exactly doing much damage with his pipe pistol, so I just ignore him. Deacon promptly shoots him, then he hated that, so now he starts shooting at me. WTH?

I figure, maybe something I did counted as stealing and triggered the settler?

Reload, send Deacon to the Castle ("I have an important mission for you. Go *ahem* far from here. Go with the gods, but go already";)) build everything else first, build the tower last. A settler arrives and starts shooting at me. Eventually kills himself with a ricochet :p

Reload, do that again, leave before the serf arrives. So he never saw me there. Come back in 24 hours to assign him. He starts shooting at me, kills himself with a ricochet.

Well, at that point I just go dump his corpse in the water too, and go store my PA safely and do some other quests. Come back after a while, when more settlers have arrived, and these have obviously learned not to shoot a .38 peashooter at the big guy in X-01 armour :p