Allonsen

This is just a thought I had while playing Fallout 4. I don't know if it's already been suggested but when I searched for it I got nothing, so here goes. Lemmie just preface this by saying I have no modding skill, so this isn't something I can just pick up and do, even if I had the right tools, this is somehting for an interested, experienced modder. I personally think it would work well with something like a Death Alternative mod, but that's all a ways down the road.

--Potential spoilers for those who've not gotten far in the main quest.--

Here's the premise.

Basically, every time a limb gets crippled there's a small (or configurable) chance that your character will lose that limb. At this point, there could be some type of bleeding effect or something that you have to deal with quickly. If you save yourself form bleeding out (stimpacks, or a modded form of triage, or something), you still have to seek out a replacement limb, either from the Institute, Railroad, or the surgeons in Diamond City (desiging gameplay mechanics for a missing limb would be ridiculous, so maybe this isn't realistic). If you can't fix it youself, you either die (normal death) or pass out (Fade To Black along the lines of Death Alternative), depending on whether or not you have a companion with you.

Depending on your active companion, you could end up in different places. Deacon-Railroad, X2-Institute, Piper-Diamond City, Danse-Prydwen (or Cambridge), etc, basically just a different scenario for every companion. Each location would net you with a different kind of prosthetic. Diamond City surgeons could give you a scrap-metal, pneumatic (hydraulic?) thing, Institute would give you a Gen-1 limb, and the Railroad could give you some kind of steam-powered limb.

Whatever prosthetic you end up with, you'd be able to upgrade it the same way you can upgrade power armor. (I think that if there was a way to equip it the same way a Pip-Boy is done so that it can't be normally unequipped that would be ideal). So you start with a severe debuff to your stats based on the limb, but as you upgrade it, it would grow and become more of an asset than a hindrance, which is not to suggest that losing a limb would be without disadvantages in the long run, I'm thinking more along the lines of Old World Blues' cybernetic organs, where there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Like I said, I don't know if this is possible, or even if it's already been discussed and thrown out. There's no way somehting like this could be possible without the CK (GECK? what the hell are they calling it this time?) but I figured I'd throw it out there early just to see if there's interest for something like this.

Yeeeah... This isn't the first time I've seen this request. The concept faces the same problem New Vegas did (the first time someone suggested the idea) in that you'd have to edit every outfit to accommodate your new prosthetic limb.

That's why the whole shooting limbs off idea never took off, it just wasn't worth the effort and wouldn't work with every modded armour without editting those as well.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm

Yeeeah... This isn't the first time I've seen this request. The concept faces the same problem New Vegas did (the first time someone suggested the idea) in that you'd have to edit every outfit to accommodate your new prosthetic limb.

That's why the whole shooting limbs off idea never took off, it just wasn't worth the effort and wouldn't work with every modded armour without editting those as well.

Actually in Fallout 4 each outfit does not include any of the player body components such as legs, arms or the head so in theory it's just a case of adding the custom models for the body parts then selecting which parts show in the outfits which can be done in FO4Edit.

Either way there is currently no working .esp import tool so you can't make a custom model yet.

Edited by caseter6

Actually in Fallout 4 each outfit does not include any of the player body components such as legs, arms or the head so in theory it's just a case of adding the custom models for the body parts then selecting which parts show in the outfits which can be done in FO4Edit.

Either way there is currently no working .esp import tool so you can't make a custom model yet.

Uhh, I would suggest taking a look at the nifs again.

Also what does importing an esp have to do with custom models (which are possible at the moment just a pain in the ass to do)?

Uhh, I would suggest taking a look at the nifs again.

Also what does importing an esp have to do with custom models (which are possible at the moment just a pain in the ass to do)?

I meant to say working .nif tool, also what are you on about saying look at them again?

Note the distinct lack of human body parts showing (i.e the head and hands):

http://i.imgur.com/ZfP6JT2.png?1

Oh, I see what you meant earlier, (misinterpreted, sorry 'bout that) but my point still stands:

In order to get a prosthetic arm going, fully clothed outfits are fine, just replace the hand. But for outfits such as Cait's Corset, or any outfit that includes the base body, you would have to edit the mesh to include the prosthetic arm.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm