Marine Life Mod

ranggiana

Hi!

I wanted to try make a marine life mod after seeing how barren the sea in this game with almost a quarter of the map cosist of sea along with washed up mutant dolphin carcass.

Well it just doesn't make sense to me to have mutant dolphin corpse present but the water is devoid of any life beside wreckage and seaweeds. Given also we have amphibous mirelurks creatures "lurking" around coastal and swamp area (I was bit dissapointed they cannot "swim"). Bethesda did good job having aquatic life in Skyrim and Obsidian give small lake fishes in F:New Vegas.

This would be my first time to try big modding, previously I did minor mods with Total War and Cities Skyline. I don't have any experience outside texturing and modelling. But I'm going to try my hand on coding and animation.

My current plan at the moment.

- Extract, retopo, texture fix and animate mutant dolphin.

- Model small fishes based on New Vegas.

- Model corals and assorted seabed mutants

- Power Armor sub propulsion mod for easier underwater navigation

- Underwater combat

- Bestowing Mirelurks swimming capabilities (while the crabs will still walk on ocean floor)

Challenges

- Keeping it lore friendly

- Does the game engine have problems with non-humanoid creatures swimming?

- High chances that Bethesda will release Underwater DLC in the future which could affect the mod. It's just a matter of overhauling the mod to fit with the new DLC.

=========================================

-More to come-

Edited by ranggiana

What about sharks with lazer beams attached to their heads ? No?

Ok what about mutated sea bass ?

So long as the sea bass is ill-tempered, it would suffice. I just want to hear Preston's garbled screams drown out (heh) his attempt to issue another radiant quest.

Big fan of sea life. If you want, I can model some whales and s*** for you if you're good at animating.

Thanks, we need to make concept of mutie-fish first. Sketch out illustration first if possible so we can see how wacky radiation made them look like. Just like this picture of a fish with two mouths.

I know several animators that could help with the animating part.

So long as the sea bass is ill-tempered, it would suffice. I just want to hear Preston's garbled screams drown out (heh) his attempt to issue another radiant quest.

LOL. This somehow will be create James Bond type quest.

Planning to make it bit lore friendly first delving into extreme stuff like this (and eventually deep sea horror cthulhu stuff, probably)

greatly agree!

Was severely dissapointed by the lack of marine life, especially when there's that much water!

You could even have interesting combat, since when using power armor you sink to the bottom and walk there!

I agree, the power armor have potential for underwater stuff. I was dissapointed you can't even draw weapon while underwater! Hopefully with G.E.C.K. we can add underwater combat. And have those damn mirelurks not be afraid of deep water.

Another idea is to have power armor torso attached with sub propulsion mod, which allow you to move like a submarine. Either you hover or sink when idle. Heck, to make it lore friendly; the mod (item or schematic it can be available at power armor crafting station when you discover it) can be founded near a coastal facility. Marked as experimental mod to infiltrate / seek out commie bastard's submarines -or something like that-

Edited by ranggiana