Meshes keep exporting as cubes?

heygune

Question: why do all my w2mesh files keep exporting as simple cubes/why do my exported fbx files open as simple cubes? No matter what I try, Blender just keeps opening them as the default cube. I've tried my own batch files, ModKitchen, and even had a friend look at it; I'm stumped. What am I doing wrong here and how do I fix this issue?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I encountered this problem after uncooking a "mod(name) \ content" folder, then used the Export Asset function with Mod Kit Gui v 1.2. After converting the .w2mesh to .fbx, it imported into Blender as a cube.

How are you converting your .w2mesh files?

Edited by Cauze

• 3 weeks later...

Encountering the same issue here... just doing a test with Geralt's horse since it's one of the official modkit examples... but I'm getting the same cube problem.

I called wcc_lite as follows... wcc_lite export -depot=d:\TW3uncooked\ -file=d:\TW3uncooked\characters\models\animals\horse\draft\model\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.w2mesh -out=d:\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.fbx

... and wcc_lite does export the .fbx for the mesh and the .xml for the materials. The w2mesh file is 1,716,714 bytes and the .fbx is 89,600 bytes..

When I open the .fbx in Blender 2.76 though, instead of a horse I get a cube composed of tris... :)

Tried reverting to Modkit v.1.0 since that's what the original Roach tutorial was done with... and it does the same thing. 88K .fbx that imports as a cube. According to Biozokker's posts though, we should be getting models without the armature.

Interesting thing to note though: the cube is not the Blender default cube. That one is composed of quads, and the one that appears after an .fbx import is composed of tris.

• 2 months later...

Found the solution, in case anyone is still having the same problem. The -file switch will ONLY take a relative path. If you use an absolute path starting with a drive letter, it fails.

So, this won't work:

wcc_lite export -depot=d:\TW3uncooked\ -file=d:\TW3uncooked\characters\models\animals\horse\draft\model\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.w2mesh -out=d:\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.fbx

... but this will work:

wcc_lite export -depot=d:\TW3uncooked\ -file=characters\models\animals\horse\draft\model\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.w2mesh -out=d:\b_01_hd__brown_rideable.fbx

Roach's .fbx when properly exported will be 25MB / 25,857,792 bytes.