Fallout 4 Crashes when close to Diamond City

Tomahawk568

Hello, I need help with Fallout 4. It crashes whenever i get close to Diamond City. I've tried restarting my computer, reinstalling fallout 4, lowering graphics, deleting EVERY SINGLE save (around 280 hours combining every save, says Steam) and I've also tried other fixes i found, but nothing worked. help please.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 4GB
RAM: 16.00 GB (15.9 GB usable)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fighting a similar issue. I first discovered that I crash right here:

http://i.imgur.com/S8xnWTf.jpg

Soon there were other points around the game doing this.

Even on new games. Even when all mods are disabled, after "verifying cache files", and even REINSTALLING the game. Also, I tried the old depricated version of the INIs but got the same crashes.

But I made some progress today: if I change the INI files BACK TO THEIR ORIGINALS, the game no longer crashes.

So there are two possibilities: either our systems are objecting to altered INI files altogether, or we all installed a mod that's screwing things up whether it's "active" in NMM or not.

Update - so I just uninstalled ALL mods through NMM and re-customized the INIs according to the new standard instructions (link)... same crashes at the same point.

Put the INIs back to original, no crashes on any of my characters.

So... we're back to two separate options:

1. The INIs disagree with our systems.
  2. NMM didn't exactly take EVERYTHING out when uninstalling the mods, and there's some garbage in there somewhere that's making it mad.

I'm going to have a look through to see if I can find anything but I'm no expert. God I hope I don't have to uninstall / reinstall again.

PROGRESS!!!

So, in digging around the Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data folder I noticed that there was a "Textures" folder, which when I was watching an old YouTube video I noticed wasn't there by default. So I took it out (just moved the Textures folder to the desktop), made the INIs match the Fallout 4 Mod Installation instructions, and launched... NO CRASH!

So. What was so horrible in that "Textures" folder?

Well:

• under \Textures\Actors I had folders and .DDS content for FEVHound, PowerArmor, and Wraith. Under
  • under \Textures\Effects I had the files fxraindrops_d.dds and fxraindrops_n.dds

I honestly don't know which mods all of these came from... can you check to see if you have any of these?

I suspect the problem was with the FEVHound, only because if you look up at the map that's right around where one would spawn if I continued down this road. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a hound since I started having this problem. Did you ever install "CREEPY MONSTERS OF THE WASTELAND"?

I've had PowerArmor a ton of times but when thinking about the other place I frequently crashed there were raiders, so it's possible the frame got exposed during the fight... idk...

and... well I don't even know what a Wraith is...

I really hope the problem isn't with "True Storms". I love that mod.

Anyway, try it, let me know if it works for you (disable all the mods, check to see if you have that Textures folder in there, take it out) and let me know if it works for you!

Final update: yeah, reinstalled all my mods, runs like solid.

So here's the fix:

1. Disable EVERYTHING in NMM
  2. Go to Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Dat
  3. Destroy the /Textures folder
  4. Re-enable mods... but maybe just a few at a time, checking to see if you get crashes after

My strong suspicion is that it was stuff left over from the "CREEPY MONSTERS OF THE WASTELAND" mod. I was able to account for everything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Final update: yeah, reinstalled all my mods, runs like solid.

So here's the fix:

1. Disable EVERYTHING in NMM
  2. Go to Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Dat
  3. Destroy the /Textures folder
  4. Re-enable mods... but maybe just a few at a time, checking to see if you get crashes after

My strong suspicion is that it was stuff left over from the "CREEPY MONSTERS OF THE WASTELAND" mod. I was able to account for everything else.

Dude, it helped! After two weeks of leaving Fallout 4, this made my game not crash anymore!

I'm having this issue but your solution didn't work for me. However upon removing specifically the "architecture" folder of the textures folder, it doesn't crash. I'm unsure but it may be that I have too much data in Textures. Or it's a botched file within architecture. I'll test more tomorrow.

I just finished fixing almost the same issue, it was a specific texture file (roofmetal03_d.dds) but I'm not sure what mod it was from. So for me, my game didn't crash until those textures were loaded in upon going into a certain part of the map.

Here's the methodology I used, in case people experiencing a similar issue wish to replicate it:

1. With the textures removed, I went to the location that caused my game to CTD and saved. That way I could load the game and immediately know.

2. 30 at a time, I put the files back in and started my game. If that batch didn't cause a CTD they would be placed in the "safe" folder.

3. The second batch crashed my game and they were placed in an "unsafe" folder.

4. The third and final batch did not crash my game and were placed into the "safe" folder.

4. I started placing the "unsafe" files in at larger amounts, then smaller and smaller amounts, until I had narrowed down which file had the issue.

So if you want to repeat it:

1. For me, this didn't CTD on loading the save, but instead in a specific region of the map. What I did was I removed the "Textures" folder and went to the area that I CTD, and saved my game there so I could load it up and know right away if it's still an issue.

2. Narrow down which folder in "Textures" is causing the issue. No need to do them one at a time at first.

3. Narrow down which files in that folder are causing the issue. Start with large batches of files and narrow them down. Put the "safe" files in a separate folder and don't load them in so they don't get mixed up.

I'm still unsure about what causes the issue, though. What's different about this texture that crashes the game? If anyone finds out, please do share.

• 3 weeks later...